First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just took delivery of our Badlands earlier today. We are so excited! There is one thing however that has me perplexed. We have the auto transmission and I would like the dash to show what gear it's currently in. If I put the trans in manual mode, it shows the current gear at the top of the tachometer. But if the trans is in auto, I can not find a way to show the gear indicator. Does anyone know how to turn this indicator on when the trans is in auto or if it is even possible?
Sponsored

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just took delivery of our Badlands earlier today. We are so excited! There is one thing however that has me perplexed. We have the auto transmission and I would like the dash to show what gear it's currently in. If I put the trans in manual mode, it shows the current gear at the top of the tachometer. But if the trans is in auto, I can not find a way to show the gear indicator. Does anyone know how to turn this indicator on when the trans is in auto or if it is even possible?
If it’s like my f250 just press the +button on shifter

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it’s like my f250 just press the +button on shifter
This will show the gear you are in. You can shift gears up or down but the tranny will automatically go back to auto within a few seconds and the gear indication will go away.

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This will show the gear you are in. You can shift gears up or down but the tranny will automatically go back to auto within a few seconds and the gear indication will go away.
I did notice this. But I'm wondering if there's a way to always show what gear you're in without having to shift the transmission. I know the Jeep Wranglers can do this and I'm hoping we can too.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did notice this. But I'm wondering if there's a way to always show what gear you're in without having to shift the transmission. I know the Jeep Wranglers can do this and I'm hoping we can too.
I'm with @Lagrange 6g , with my F-150, tapping the '+' button on the shifter while in "D" will display all the gears (1,2,3,4,5,6 for me) on the instrument panel screen, and will highlight what gear its currently in while driving.
Also, hitting the '-' button the shifter will 'turn off' gears, not allowing the transmission to shift into the higher gears. So I could limit to 3 or 4 gears if I choose, and it would shift up passed. I don't use this, but maybe someone would.

Now, the Bronco might be totally different, but its easy to check. Let us know.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I played around more with this today. At this point, I don't believe the Bronco has the ability to always show the gear indicator when the transmission is in auto mode. It's a shame because I love this feature on the Wrangler. As Cousin Eddie pointed out, you can hit the +/- buttons on the shifter and it will temporarily shift and show the indicator for a few seconds and then the tranny goes back to auto and the indicator disappears.

When the transmission is put into manual mode, it will continuously show the gear indicator.

Last edited:

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My wife's F-150 used to only show the gears in Sport mode, and now it shows up on the side of the display in all modes. But... I have no idea how she got that to happen.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My wife's F-150 used to only show the gears in Sport mode, and now it shows up on the side of the display in all modes. But... I have no idea how she got that to happen.
All you have to do is hit the "+" on the shifter and it shows it all the time

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All you have to do is hit the "+" on the shifter and it shows it all the time
Not in the Bronco. If you hit the + or -, it shifts and shows the gear you are in for about 3 seconds. Then it shifts back into auto and the indicator disappears.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As long as it shows what gear you are in when you change gears, what would be the usefulness of displaying all the time? Won’t you know what gear you are in?

Not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering when that feature would be needed or useful. My current vehicles are manuals or just have it by the gear selector.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as it shows what gear you are in when you change gears, what would be the usefulness of displaying all the time? Won’t you know what gear you are in?
The whole point of my original post is that it doesn't show when the automatic transmission is in the automatic mode. It will show it when you're in manual mode but it will not show what gear the automatic transmission automatically shifts into. You can hit the plus or minus button when you're in automatic mode but then that forces the transmission to shift. I want to see what gear the transmission is in when it's in the automatic mode without me having to shift it.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The whole point of my original post is that it doesn't show when the automatic transmission is in the automatic mode. It will show it when you're in manual mode but it will not show what gear the automatic transmission automatically shifts into. You can hit the plus or minus button when you're in automatic mode but then that forces the transmission to shift. I want to see what gear the transmission is in when it's in the automatic mode without me having to shift it.
So when you shift from park to reverse or reverse to drive, etc., it doesn’t show anything on the display?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As some have said, on FX50's hitting +/- while in Drive will display all gears and indicate what gear you're currently in. This feature also lets you 'lock out' gears from the top down. ie you could limit it to never go above 7th. This feature is endlessly helpful on mountain highways, going up and down and while off road. I hope someone figures out how to unlock this feature on the Bronco

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not in the Bronco. If you hit the + or -, it shifts and shows the gear you are in for about 3 seconds. Then it shifts back into auto and the indicator disappears.
The person I quoted was talking about an F-150...
Sponsored