Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting comment...

Just learning about the GMRS radio(s) I see the Wouxun models i have interest in can receive transmission on Ham/ emergency frequencies but does not allow output transmission even in an emergency.

From what I see this Wouxun can use both GMRS and FMRS however limited to transmitting on channels 5 watts and higher. 1-7
It can only receive on the .5 watt FMRS channels

144- 148 mhz 2-meter amateur radio band. RX only...

Kenwood discontinued... what was price on the unit? As it seems like it would be more comparable to the Wouxun 1000. Unfortunately it does not seem like an option any longer unless you could find a used one.

"Modded" can you explain"?
Many of the radios being sold are technically capable of both receiving and transmitting on frequencies beyond those for which they are certified/licensed/marketed. It is possible to take a radio that is sold for one set of frequencies and mod it to enable others, which quickly opens some grey areas as far as licensing and legality. Typically one might see a "ham" radio offering from one of the "Big Three" being modded to add GMRS/FRS support, for example.

It's a potential rabbit hole, like any other.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was happy to stumble on this thread... I was hoping to find installs with the face of radio showing. Nice radio I purchased this same radio. I figured I would go this route and depending on outcome I may eventually go to the 1000 and put this in our UTV. (plenty of options with the 1000 as it has the removeable head unit.) I opted to go with the Nagoya antenna.

I like your your location... Have you uncovered any more threads with any other possible locations except for the obvious in center console?

Thanks,

-Ed
To be honest its kind of a solved problem for me. I haven't been looking really unless you count watching Randy (notarubicon productions,@TheNotaRubicon) posts on youtube.

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes... I just seen the comment and was interested. I agree on the rabbit hole and legality.
I watched that Nota Rubicon also along with reading and watching a few others.

My brother purchased a Midland, he just drove over and we just did a small range test. The hand held was able to reach his mobile for about a Mile and half. The 20 watt Wouxum went further but not what we were hoping.
Oddly, it appeared that if a cell phone is communicating it interferes with quality (That will be tested again)... I enjoy the radios I purchased, will set up our Michigan repeaters in give a shout out when traveling north.

The GMRS is best to use for your group that wants to communicate within a fairly close area. Mileage extended based on terrain... Again to the OP, nice placement for your Wouxum radio.

Regards,

-Ed

Last edited:

7spdbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' MT Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not meant to be a how to, best approach, or even a good solution. This is just what I did. I’ve been taking info from the forum for over a year, so I try to contribute when I have something others might find interesting.

What I bought and where: (not affiliate links or anything)

I am returning the midland antenna, it is too short out of the box, I did NOT cut it. I am unable to tune below 2.0:1 SWR. Extending it to max gives 2.0, sliding to shortest without cutting gives me a 2.2:1. I ordered a Browning off Amazon just in case it takes weeks to return/replace the midland, it will be here on Tuesday.

I connected directly to the battery for power, I want it to work with ACC off and it doesn’t make sense to waste a switch on a radio. Wiring and antenna cable were ran through the grommet near the accessory wiring on the driver side.

Before I removed the antenna to ship back I tested talking to a pair of 10+ year old FRS walkie talkies I keep in my recovery bag. Radio sounded good during the brief test, from the garage to the kitchen. Once I get a better antenna solution I will report more test results.

OK onto the pics:
20210918_152929.jpg

20210918_152631.jpg

Customized radio bracket
20210918_122645.jpg

Antenna Mount
20210918_153308.jpg

20210918_152723.jpg
Attempting to revive a dead thread here.... but any chance you remember where you got that radio bracket from? This is the exact mounting point I'm wanting to put my radio, but can't find a bracket similar to that anywhere

Lej512

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is not meant to be a how to, best approach, or even a good solution. This is just what I did. I’ve been taking info from the forum for over a year, so I try to contribute when I have something others might find interesting.

What I bought and where: (not affiliate links or anything)

I am returning the midland antenna, it is too short out of the box, I did NOT cut it. I am unable to tune below 2.0:1 SWR. Extending it to max gives 2.0, sliding to shortest without cutting gives me a 2.2:1. I ordered a Browning off Amazon just in case it takes weeks to return/replace the midland, it will be here on Tuesday.

I connected directly to the battery for power, I want it to work with ACC off and it doesn’t make sense to waste a switch on a radio. Wiring and antenna cable were ran through the grommet near the accessory wiring on the driver side.

Before I removed the antenna to ship back I tested talking to a pair of 10+ year old FRS walkie talkies I keep in my recovery bag. Radio sounded good during the brief test, from the garage to the kitchen. Once I get a better antenna solution I will report more test results.

OK onto the pics:
20210918_152929.jpg

20210918_152631.jpg

Customized radio bracket
20210918_122645.jpg

Antenna Mount
20210918_153308.jpg

20210918_152723.jpg
Gotta do what works for you. I am very, very pleased with the radio mount and NMO antenna mount that I got from Rugged Radios. I have a Kenwood TK-7180H with a remote head mount. Radio head is mounted in the center stack under the climate controls with gorilla grip velcro (no holes), radio is mounted with their mounting bracket using the two bolts that secure the passenger grab handle (no additional holes), antenna is mounting using their mounting plate attached to the driver's sdie mirror (no holes).

IMG_2747.jpeg

IMG_2749.jpeg
Sponsored