Sponsored

Goat modes just software which brakes to assist under different conditions?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My original point was that the human mind and body can do amazing things with training and muscle memory. Yes computer controlled vehicle systems can do amazing things also, but only to the degree that the driver set the mode correctly for the situation. The computer cannot anticipate an upcoming situation, the mind can. I can look at an upcoming obstacle and decide "this will require 3rd gear, low range, rear lock" and set things appropriately then change selections for the next trail section . A computer cannot anticipate a situation.

My current Explorer has modes. When I set snow mode, it kills throttle response and holds higher gears. This would also be my minds' choice, easy on the throttle, brake and hold higher gears. If I drive like I'm trained it compounds the effect. So to get an acceptable driving experience, if I select the mode, I must drive ignore training and experience, drive "normal" and let the computer make the decisions, that's counter intuitive for me.

I use "Tow haul" all the time in my motorhome and when towing with my F250. It works well except for long, high speed downgrades, it will run one gear lower than I want sometimes. So I momentarily disable "Tow/Haul", to let it upshift on the motorhome the F250 allows me to select the gear I want..

In my Bronco I anticipate using Normal and Sport Modes and letting my mind do the rest.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I really enjoyed that thanks for posting,ive always wanted to do something like that true trailblazers looks like they ate good too.
Guys and gals you will never go hungry at a jeep jamboree they throw down.
Never been on one. I cut my jeep teeth on the rubicon trail before many had ever heard of it in the sixties. That trail was actually part of the old mule trail the pack trains used. There was market hunting going on in French Meadows, Hell Hole and the trail was often used to go through to Lake Tahoe. Back then the other trail through Soda Springs was an option also. Some of the old timers got into organized events, but myself, I went into the back country to get away from people not bring everyone with me.

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is no computer replacement for sending equal power to all 4 wheels.
ā€˜Regularā€™ 4x4 only send power to one back and one front wheel....
My rene uses the brakes to stop wheel spin mimicing lockers. Lockers no spin but can be axle breakers. For me lockers is a have to have option. thanks for the clarification

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The use of selective braking works pretty well and actually does make me question my need for a front locker. That being said, it still uses the brakes and does limit power application in some situations where with the axle locked, the brakes donā€™t need to be applied. Same would be true for the front locker, just for me, not planning to do a lot of rocks, the front wheels shouldnā€™t be airborne as often? In sand and mud the rear wheels are getting the brunt of weight transfer and have more influence on traction. Deep snow is where the front locker might be really helpful for me in MI?
My experiance has been that they eliminate spin. When a wheel begins to spin it has torn itself away from the road surface often finding it dificult to hook up again. With lockers there is no spin so you have a better chance of staying hooked up and keep moving. The down side is in situations in which your gonna pull hard like pulling another stuck vehicle. When the load hits the axle neither wheel can spin to releases energy if the load dosen't move and then something has to give like your ring and pinion gear or an axle. Been there and done that With limited slip the diff goes, at least thats what happened to me when trying to get a dodge power wagon out of a creek bed. I got him out and didn't no I had damaged my jeep for a couple of weeks untill i discoverd my front axle was no longer working. I had torqed that new dodge so badly that the owner took it to the dealer cause it diodn't drive straight anymore and they ended replacing the transfer case and had the frame repaired. Was great fun but expensive

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Watch Mattā€™s off-road recovery on YouTube and you will see how often the first thing they do is turn off traction control on the stuck vehicle (and air it down). The gun it and practice throttle response are out the window on modern cars. He uses a fairly analog XJ running a 4.0L.

The nanny computers need to know you are intentionally and knowingly doing an abnormal off road activity. This will be my Daily and all around fun toy. I prefer it be set to safely get me to the trail and then with the flick of a dial know Iā€™m going to be losing traction and spinning a possible open diff till I lock it.

This thing is going to be beast mode on a boat ramp as much as a washed out river bed. Different programs though. Having Auto Unlock over a certain speed is genius. The collective effort combed in this level of programming and tuning is impressive.

Besides my brain can only run a fairly complex routine limited to my five senses. Memory recall is a different topic. This computer will have copious data, software routines and respond quickly. How many pedestrian detection events have occurred where the driver said I didnā€™t even have time to react. How many times has the ABS fired and you didnā€™t know a wheel lost traction until a second or two later.

Of course Let me see you put your seatbelt on once you realize you are going to crash yet the airbag is already in your face and did its job. Computers will beat your reaction time in most predictable cases.

As far as unpredictable events, Teslaā€™s work replicating the human ability to encounter, recall from code, unfamiliar instances quickly is amazing. Itā€™s no where near able to encounter all unfamiliar instances like the human brain since it hasnā€™t learned what it
Doesnā€™t know yet.

Put simply, Ford predicted several normal circumstances and programmed them. The vehicle will have a programmed intervention routine.
The complexity is mind boggling and an advantage under most NORMAL conditions. Ford has done an outstanding job and raised the bar for the herd to try and top.
Sponsored