Sponsored

Goat modes just software which brakes to assist under different conditions?

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
These are simply software programs that use the brakes to assist under different conditions correct?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With the exception of selective application of individual brakes by the traction control system, these are nothing more than the human brain/body can accomplish by selecting drive mode, locked axle selection, gear range, gentle or firm use of throttle and brakes. It seems people have lost the ability to make their own decisions based on learned behavior. Gas it or jam on the brakes on an icy road and you learn fast. Drive around a dune or deep snow for awhile you'll learn what the throttle is for. They used to say pump the brakes to stop on slick roads, I always found gentle, steady brake pressure just short of lock up to be most effective. Now I push it a bit just to make sure the anti-locks are working, I've been dumbed down.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is more to it than just automatically shifting you into 4WD or turning a locker on. Look up Baja mode on the Raptor. It is very impressive. These goat modes also change the way the automatic transmission shifts and may change throttle response. We don't know anything for sure yet, and you don't have to have them to go off-roading, but they will do more than automatically turn on or off certain features.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the exception of selective application of individual brakes by the traction control system, these are nothing more than the human brain/body can accomplish by selecting drive mode, locked axle selection, gear range, gentle or firm use of throttle and brakes.
It is much more than selective traction control. Sport mode on my F150 increases throttle response (goes from squishy to sensitive) and adjusts shift points to keep the motor running at a higher rpm.

Tow mode, while not a goat mode, operates similarly and also adjusts shift points and incorporates engine breaking when needed.

Just more tools in the box as far as I am concerned.

Sponsored

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is more to it than just automatically shifting you into 4WD or turning a locker on. Look up Baja mode on the Raptor. It is very impressive. These goat modes also change the way the automatic transmission shifts and may change throttle response. We don't know anything for sure yet, and you don't have to have them to go off-roading, but they will do more than automatically turn on or off certain features.
Good points. I believe the behavior of the turbos also changes with the different modes. So, while you could accomplish the vast majority of what that dial will do, there are a few neat features.

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With the exception of selective application of individual brakes by the traction control system, these are nothing more than the human brain/body can accomplish by selecting drive mode, locked axle selection, gear range, gentle or firm use of throttle and brakes. It seems people have lost the ability to make their own decisions based on learned behavior. Gas it or jam on the brakes on an icy road and you learn fast. Drive around a dune or deep snow for awhile you'll learn what the throttle is for. They used to say pump the brakes to stop on slick roads, I always found gentle, steady brake pressure just short of lock up to be most effective. Now I push it a bit just to make sure the anti-locks are working, I've been dumbed down.
Kinda what i was getting at. I'm 75 years old and been trying to get myself stuck in what ever i was driving at the time since i was a kid. I learned to feel my wheels on the ground and choose my engine gear and rpm for the conditions. I've spent tons of hours trying to decide what to order and each time become more and more confused.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would have put this video in my first post, but I couldn't find it... makes me cringe every time. Baja mode is seriously cool and scary.

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a renegade trailhawk I bought cause it was the only little road worthy vehicle on the market that was supposed to be dirt capable. I didn't expect the little enemic thing to be much good in the dirt but it is an amazing little guy. Those various computer modes i laughed at realy worked well in conjunction with the 9 speed tranny. All in all it is ok but not built CJ5 tough like I'm hoping the new Bronco will be. The original Bronco was solid its biggest short commings were its tranny and lack of lackers.
Looking forward to getting a new Bronco but would love to see it with a factory winch option.
Never driven a raptor they have set a standard no other can match so far and I hope the new Bronco will do the same.
Thanks for your input.

Brock27

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would have put this video in my first post, but I couldn't find it... makes me cringe every time. Baja mode is seriously cool and scary.

So essentially Baja mode replaces sport mode? Was about to get huffy and puffy about the BL not having what sounded like the most useful mode for me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

thats not goat mode, is baja mode available on the Bronco. Geez....I can drink beer two handed and let the truck get me there in baja mode<smile>....or at least keep me going straight
Great video!

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So essentially Baja mode replaces sport mode? Was about to get huffy and puffy about the BL not having what sounded like the most useful mode for me.
I am not sure that it is recommended for street use, but clearly it can be used that way. The guy in that video is nuts!

thats not goat mode, is baja mode available on the Bronco. Geez....I can drink beer two handed and let the truck get me there in baja mode<smile>....or at least keep me going straight
Great video!
Baja mode is one of several selectable goat modes. I believe it is only available on the Badlands, Wildtrak, and First Edition. It is the one I am really looking forward to trying out. Can't wait to head to the sand dunes!

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wish there was a trim with all eight goat modes available. :/

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am not sure that it is recommended for street use, but clearly it can be used that way. The guy in that video is nuts!

Baja mode is one of several selectable goat modes. I believe it is only available on the Badlands, Wildtrak, and First Edition. It is the one I am really looking forward to trying out. Can't wait to head to the sand dunes!
Hey, I resent that! Geez, I;'ve spent a life time climbing rocks mud holes etc. just cause it can't be done and i did it and you think I aint just as nuts?.....I'll bet there are lots of us us ordering the new Bronco. Maybe we should start a Nut club.....hummm....anyone got a better name? I got it, lets go cross the Darrin gap. If cj7's can do it we can do it in the new Broncos in Baja mode right? Check out this video

OP
OP
bf4445

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided