GVWR and general weight concerns

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am really not understanding this. The vehicle weight plus payload that the suspension can safely handle = GVWR. Adding a roof rack doesn't change the GVWR, it just takes away from payload. Surely the vehicle will have at least 1000 pounds of payload which will exceed the 6,000 pound GVWR of 6000 pounds as is. So unless I am misunderstanding something the argument of competing with jeep to remain under 6000 as the means for not allowing accessories makes little sense.
Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am really not understanding this. The vehicle weight plus payload that the suspension can safely handle = GVWR. Adding a roof rack doesn't change the GVWR, it just takes away from payload. Surely the vehicle will have at least 1000 pounds of payload which will exceed the 6,000 pound GVWR of 6000 pounds as is. So unless I am misunderstanding something the argument of competing with jeep to remain under 6000 as the means for not allowing accessories makes little sense.
Look at it this way GVWR-Curb weight = payload. I think the GVWR is artificially set by Ford so it stays in the same class as wrangler. They simply tested it to those specs and not its true capabilities. For the Bronco GVWR is 6k wheel base or engine doesn’t change it. Look up the GVWR for a F150 it changes based off of cab, wheel base, and engine. So basically I see it as Ford is saying you have about a 1000lb payload and we can’t give you a roof rack on a 4 door cause that extra person + the roof rack capacity would push us into a new category. Hope this helps

dragon6172

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look at it this way GVWR-Curb weight = payload. I think the GVWR is artificially set by Ford so it stays in the same class as wrangler. They simply tested it to those specs and not its true capabilities. For the Bronco GVWR is 6k wheel base or engine doesn’t change it. Look up the GVWR for a F150 it changes based off of cab, wheel base, and engine. So basically I see it as Ford is saying you have about a 1000lb payload and we can’t give you a roof rack on a 4 door cause that extra person + the roof rack capacity would push us into a new category. Hope this helps
There are some legal definitions regarding GVWR when going over 6000. For SUVs:
(v) Small sport utility vehicles. Sport utility vehicles with a GVWR below 6,000 pounds.

(vi) Standard sport utility vehicles. Sport utility vehicles with a GVWR at or above 6,000 pounds and at or below 10,000 pounds.

As found here in the federal regs:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/600.315-08

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i'd be fine with the bronco falling into the standard category if that enables useful things like towing capacity and the roof rack with the heavy mod top.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
If a roof rack can hold 400 pounds it adds 400 lbs to the GVWR

Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are some legal definitions regarding GVWR when going over 6000. For SUVs:
(v) Small sport utility vehicles. Sport utility vehicles with a GVWR below 6,000 pounds.

(vi) Standard sport utility vehicles. Sport utility vehicles with a GVWR at or above 6,000 pounds and at or below 10,000 pounds.

As found here in the federal regs:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/600.315-08
Thanks for looking it up I’ll take your word for it. There’s probably all the answers or directions in the CFR as far as the requirements and testing specs. But I would rather drink nothing but black coffee and eat nothing but creamed corn and ghost peppers for a week than read another CFR.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i'd be fine with the bronco falling into the standard category if that enables useful things like towing capacity and the roof rack with the heavy mod top.
Probably don’t help you now but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a FSB or Bronco HD in a couple of years.

dragon6172

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for looking it up I’ll take your word for it. There’s probably all the answers or directions in the CFR as far as the requirements and testing specs. But I would rather drink nothing but black coffee and eat nothing but creamed corn and ghost peppers for a week than read another CFR.
I hear ya. I get to read them often for work also

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If a roof rack can hold 400 pounds it adds 400 lbs to the GVWR
Also it is a 5 seater. (4 door) Ford adds 150 per passenger that is 750 pounds plus a 350 tongue weight to give a tow rating of 3500 pounds which puts you at 1100 pounds payload. This is why they did not put a bigger hitch/rating. It would not fit the class. That leaves you a small margin for accessories/cargo. Everyone is not going to have max occupants while towing (if at all) and can transfer that weight to accessories/cargo. This vehicle will handle the weight fine but it is a heavy beast. The raptor is going to be a pig. Hence the name warthog.

Last edited:

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Isn't there safety and legal ramifications tied to payload? It seems pretty shady to undersell the payload leaving the owner liable if an accident occurs. I have no doubt that the vehicle can handle more than the payload says it can, but that's different than artificially setting it deliberately.

Towing seems very similar to be honest. How can it tow the same regardless of configuration?

I have an issue with the way they are fudging these numbers. Who cares what Jeep does? Just build the best modern off-road vehicle you can and let it speak for itself in it's performance.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you drive a commercial or non commercial vehicle weighing over 26,000 and do not have at least a class B license, you will get a wrist slap ticket. Other than that, there are no real world consequences for gvwr for the average person. No different than driving a motorcycle without a MC license. Some folks over think things...

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll take your word for it, but that doesn't make much a lick of sense. So the GVWR changes on the other broncos when you add the rack?
Yup, but the non-squatch Broncos weigh a lot less so it’s not as much of an issue.

I just think this whole thing is so absurdly blown out of preparation though.... it’s honestly one of the easiest to install roof racks I’ve ever seen.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn't there safety and legal ramifications tied to payload? It seems pretty shady to undersell the payload leaving the owner liable if an accident occurs. I have no doubt that the vehicle can handle more than the payload says it can, but that's different than artificially setting it deliberately.

Towing seems very similar to be honest. How can it tow the same regardless of configuration?

I have an issue with the way they are fudging these numbers. Who cares what Jeep does? Just build the best modern off-road vehicle you can and let it speak for itself in it's performance.
Yes there are but saying it can only do 6k when it can really do more only protects Ford more. I agree as I think the towing could be more too but I don’t know I think it all boils down to Ford staying below 6k to compete directly with Jeep otherwise they could say we do AB and C better and Jeep would say yeah but not in this class.
As far a legal unless you were blatantly overloaded probably would never even get checked, but if you were in an accident or something probably a citation and issues with insurance coverage but that’s just a guess.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There can be consequences for overloading a vehicle. The axes, shocks, tires, etc all have a maximum amount of weight they can carry.

If you put too much weight on them, it could cause extra wear or a failure.

As far as I know, Ford hasnt released the GVWR for the Bronco yet. I'd have to imagine they would not release a vehicle with the capability of only 300 to 400 lbs payload. That would be absurd.
Sponsored