Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP, was sleeping relatively comfortable in that space? I see you went diagonal. How tall are you? Platform looks pretty easy to build, thanks for the photos!
I'm 5' 10" and I've seen some posts where taller people have laid in the back and said they would fit, but when you add a pillow at the head and excess sleeping bag at the bottom, I think taller folks would have a cramped fit.

Another thing that I learned is that to make enough room you have to push the driver seat all the way forward, but when you do this your head is basically hanging over the gap between the back of the seat and the folded down rear seat. My pillow kept falling through. Next time I'm going to bring a small camp tub or soft sided wedge of some sort to fill the gap.
Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is bug net a trigger word now? Did someone have a less-than-optimal camping experience with the Boy Scouts?

Sponsored

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My ex gf bought me a huge throw over skeeter net that was too small to cover my patio.
You have unlocked the perfect MOD for it! Thank you good sir! Only problem is i do have
the 2 door on order. But I'm only 5'8, i have been toying with the idea of taking the back seats out and building a really nice wood insert. As well as fixing the speaker situation, by installing 6'9's behind the seats. I cant wait!

mdahan

Outer Banks
First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Maxima 2009- Maxi pad
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, I picked up my Big Bend 4d 2.7l soft top (affectionately named the Ghost Pony) on Tuesday (shipments have finally made it to the West Coast) and promptly took it for an overnight this weekend. I hadn't fully pulled down the soft top prior to the trip, but thought this would be a good occasion. Also thought that I'd like to take advantage of the beautiful night sky while sleeping in the back, but wasn't interested in getting eaten up by mosquitoes. So I used an old bug net and some tent poles that I had and turned the Ghost Pony into a perfect screened in sleeper.

Prior to leaving town I had also built a simple platform to make cargo section level with the height of the folded down back seats. This allowed for a fairly flat surface with which to lay. I'm 5' 10" and sleeping diagonally I was able to make it work, but might be a bit tight for anyone taller.

See the video here on the removal of the top (first attempt) and the screen install.

PXL_20210725_180243931.jpg

This is the simple platform (3" high). I plan to add a small drawer underneath and wrap the edges with pipe insulation to protect interior plastic panels of the cargo area..

PXL_20210725_002741471.jpg
PXL_20210725_154737643.jpg

The sealing windows worked perfect with the screen to hold it in place.

PXL_20210725_003342183.jpg

Pretty comfortable to sleep inside, but getting out was a bear. I hope there will be an after market solution for an tailgate door latch so that you can open it from the inside. I had to squeeze out of the driver rear door.

PXL_20210725_060132458.NIGHT.jpg

After the trip, I now more love this vehicle than I thought I would. So fun off road. The trail turn assist is a blast too. But did notice some glitches that wanted to see if anyone else has had:

- after turning it off, the system repeatedly attempted to activate a door lock somewhere at random intervals. I thought it was going to do it all night and therefore keep me awake, but it stopped after 30 min or so. It made no difference if the vehicle was locked (via fob) or not.

- the android auto interface froze several times during the trip. The navigation still worked, it just none of the onscreen buttons worked. Only way to get it working was turn turn off the vehicle.

Hope you find this helpful.

I wonder if magnet strips would work so you don't have droop(cleaner look) and easily install/breakdown? only worry I would think is if it got windy.

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm 5' 10" and I've seen some posts where taller people have laid in the back and said they would fit, but when you add a pillow at the head and excess sleeping bag at the bottom, I think taller folks would have a cramped fit.

Another thing that I learned is that to make enough room you have to push the driver seat all the way forward, but when you do this your head is basically hanging over the gap between the back of the seat and the folded down rear seat. My pillow kept falling through. Next time I'm going to bring a small camp tub or soft sided wedge of some sort to fill the gap.
Hey Buddy

I did a similar hack with my 06 H3 Hummer Adventure Series however it filled the gap and I did not have to build any platform.
I took a Twin XL memory foam mattress. It had 6 inches of plush memory foam on top of 8 inches of hard foam. I simply cut out the hard foam where the back of the vehicle floor starts to elevate as it runs into the back the seats. The mattress was a little longer then the space so I simple curled it around the top of the back seat and tucked it in to fill the void. Nice big comfty mattress. I had a regular sheet and pillow on it. Threw a blue plastic tarp over it when travelling to keep it clean. then would throw my bags and gear on the tarp.
did the Transamerica trail Boston to Vegas in comfort...
I also did the mosquito net but used magnets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fulano

Fulano

Big Bend
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey Buddy

I did a similar hack with my 06 H3 Hummer Adventure Series however it filled the gap and I did not have to build any platform.
I took a Twin XL memory foam mattress. It had 6 inches of plush memory foam on top of 8 inches of hard foam. I simply cut out the hard foam where the back of the vehicle floor starts to elevate as it runs into the back the seats. The mattress was a little longer then the space so I simple curled it around the top of the back seat and tucked it in to fill the void. Nice big comfty mattress. I had a regular sheet and pillow on it. Threw a blue plastic tarp over it when travelling to keep it clean. then would throw my bags and gear on the tarp.
did the Transamerica trail Boston to Vegas in comfort...
I also did the mosquito net but used magnets.
Good tips. Will have to try those out. Thanks.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It was all I could wrestle up in my shed on short notice. Also, didn't really feel like going out and spending $100 on a 2" x 6" 😉
I'm just wondering why you have to park on rails at all. An overlanding thing I'm not familiar with?

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just wondering why you have to park on rails at all. An overlanding thing I'm not familiar with?
If you ever sleep in your vehicle or in a rooftop tent, you'll learn quickly that leveling your vehicle is a real thing! It doesn't take much pitch at all to have an uncomfortable night's sleep.

Not to speak for the OP, but I'm guessing leveling is why he's on blocks.

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My ex gf bought me a huge throw over skeeter net that was too small to cover my patio.
You have unlocked the perfect MOD for it! Thank you good sir! Only problem is i do have
the 2 door on order. But I'm only 5'8, i have been toying with the idea of taking the back seats out and building a really nice wood insert. As well as fixing the speaker situation, by installing 6'9's behind the seats. I cant wait!
I got a 2 door on order too. I have slept in smaller, shorter vehicles before, and found that using a futon mattress the length of the vehicle can leave you sleeping in a sort of Hospital bed like position. Front seats forward, level the rear and stretch out. I would bet I can make the 2 door comfy, although somewhat upright, sorta like when you put the driver's seat all the way down and back but waaay better. And those mattresses can be had cheap and will fit folded in the back under OR over all of your stuff.
Sponsored