Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Unrelated, cheers to the Admins for taking care of the Toxic posts. :love:

Some sort of Bug netting or bottomless tent with a lengthwise hammock on the 2dr might just be a/the answer. Thanks for the idea OP!
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know they make these things called “ tents”.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You know they make these things called “ tents”.
But then you have to sleep on the "ground". Dude paid $50k, you think he's not going to sleep with it? I mean, in it...

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I picked up my Big Bend 4d 2.7l soft top (affectionately named the Ghost Pony) on Tuesday (shipments have finally made it to the West Coast) and promptly took it for an overnight this weekend. I hadn't fully pulled down the soft top prior to the trip, but thought this would be a good occasion. Also thought that I'd like to take advantage of the beautiful night sky while sleeping in the back, but wasn't interested in getting eaten up by mosquitoes. So I used an old bug net and some tent poles that I had and turned the Ghost Pony into a perfect screened in sleeper.

Prior to leaving town I had also built a simple platform to make cargo section level with the height of the folded down back seats. This allowed for a fairly flat surface with which to lay. I'm 5' 10" and sleeping diagonally I was able to make it work, but might be a bit tight for anyone taller.

See the video here on the removal of the top (first attempt) and the screen install.

As your fifth YouTube subscriber I believe that entitles me to a ride in said Pony. :p

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looove this!! Can’t wait to do the same!! I got a net already. It’s sooo handy.
Ford needs to hurry up and ship your Mae Pearl so the rest of us 2-door people can get ideas from you.😍😍

OP
OP
Fulano

Fulano

Big Bend
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dude paid $50k, you think he's not going to sleep with it? I mean, in it...
Not going to lie, I would probably drive it into my bedroom if I could. But my wife is already getting jealous of the Pony as it is, though. 😏

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

im at a loss for words. Simply awesome.

Sponsored

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I picked up my Big Bend 4d 2.7l soft top (affectionately named the Ghost Pony) on Tuesday (shipments have finally made it to the West Coast) and promptly took it for an overnight this weekend. I hadn't fully pulled down the soft top prior to the trip, but thought this would be a good occasion. Also thought that I'd like to take advantage of the beautiful night sky while sleeping in the back, but wasn't interested in getting eaten up by mosquitoes. So I used an old bug net and some tent poles that I had and turned the Ghost Pony into a perfect screened in sleeper.

Prior to leaving town I had also built a simple platform to make cargo section level with the height of the folded down back seats. This allowed for a fairly flat surface with which to lay. I'm 5' 10" and sleeping diagonally I was able to make it work, but might be a bit tight for anyone taller.

See the video here on the removal of the top (first attempt) and the screen install.

PXL_20210725_180243931.jpg

This is the simple platform (3" high). I plan to add a small drawer underneath and wrap the edges with pipe insulation to protect interior plastic panels of the cargo area..

PXL_20210725_002741471.jpg
PXL_20210725_154737643.jpg

The sealing windows worked perfect with the screen to hold it in place.

PXL_20210725_003342183.jpg

Pretty comfortable to sleep inside, but getting out was a bear. I hope there will be an after market solution for an tailgate door latch so that you can open it from the inside. I had to squeeze out of the driver rear door.

PXL_20210725_060132458.NIGHT.jpg

After the trip, I now more love this vehicle than I thought I would. So fun off road. The trail turn assist is a blast too. But did notice some glitches that wanted to see if anyone else has had:

- after turning it off, the system repeatedly attempted to activate a door lock somewhere at random intervals. I thought it was going to do it all night and therefore keep me awake, but it stopped after 30 min or so. It made no difference if the vehicle was locked (via fob) or not.

- the android auto interface froze several times during the trip. The navigation still worked, it just none of the onscreen buttons worked. Only way to get it working was turn turn off the vehicle.

Hope you find this helpful.
dude do you work at JPL? kudos to precision and execution! 😁

Dansoc12

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ghost Pony was coined by my camping buddies last year as they joked that the elusive Bronco would never appear.
Ha, solid choice. I had a feeling it had something to do with that. I’ve got to stick with the first thing that came to my mind when considering names, The Bologna Pony…for obvious reasons.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pretty cool hack! I was looking at these camping solutions, and was surprised to see that the SportzTent is only $379 in the Ford accessories catalog, and no roof rails required. The Thule and Yakima are $1599 and $1859, respectively (ouch!), and I don't even necessarily like the idea of sleeping that high off the ground, especially in a strong storm!

Ford Bronco Hacks for sleeping overnight in a 2021 Bronco 4-Door - bug net and cargo platform DIY Screenshot 2021-07-29 091728

OP
OP
Fulano

Fulano

Big Bend
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks. Yeah I saw those too, but all these accessories are starting to add up. So I have an idea to just attach a tarp to the soft top off the back with telescoping tent pools to hold it up over the tailgate area. Will post it soon.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty cool hack! I was looking at these camping solutions, and was surprised to see that the SportzTent is only $379 in the Ford accessories catalog, and no roof rails required. The Thule and Yakima are $1599 and $1859, respectively (ouch!), and I don't even necessarily like the idea of sleeping that high off the ground, especially in a strong storm!

Ford Bronco Hacks for sleeping overnight in a 2021 Bronco 4-Door - bug net and cargo platform DIY Screenshot 2021-07-29 091728
Just did a google search and a dealer has it on sale right now for those considering this option.

Sportztent - Levittown Ford
Sponsored