Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, I picked up my Big Bend 4d 2.7l soft top (affectionately named the Ghost Pony) on Tuesday (shipments have finally made it to the West Coast) and promptly took it for an overnight this weekend. I hadn't fully pulled down the soft top prior to the trip, but thought this would be a good occasion. Also thought that I'd like to take advantage of the beautiful night sky while sleeping in the back, but wasn't interested in getting eaten up by mosquitoes. So I used an old bug net and some tent poles that I had and turned the Ghost Pony into a perfect screened in sleeper.

Prior to leaving town I had also built a simple platform to make cargo section level with the height of the folded down back seats. This allowed for a fairly flat surface with which to lay. I'm 5' 10" and sleeping diagonally I was able to make it work, but might be a bit tight for anyone taller.

See the video here on the removal of the top (first attempt) and the screen install.

Ford Bronco Hacks for sleeping overnight in a 2021 Bronco 4-Door - bug net and cargo platform DIY PXL_20210725_180243931

This is the simple platform (3" high). I plan to add a small drawer underneath and wrap the edges with pipe insulation to protect interior plastic panels of the cargo area..

Ford Bronco Hacks for sleeping overnight in a 2021 Bronco 4-Door - bug net and cargo platform DIY PXL_20210725_002741471
Ford Bronco Hacks for sleeping overnight in a 2021 Bronco 4-Door - bug net and cargo platform DIY PXL_20210725_154737643

The sealing windows worked perfect with the screen to hold it in place.

Ford Bronco Hacks for sleeping overnight in a 2021 Bronco 4-Door - bug net and cargo platform DIY PXL_20210725_003342183

Pretty comfortable to sleep inside, but getting out was a bear. I hope there will be an after market solution for an tailgate door latch so that you can open it from the inside. I had to squeeze out of the driver rear door.

Ford Bronco Hacks for sleeping overnight in a 2021 Bronco 4-Door - bug net and cargo platform DIY PXL_20210725_060132458.NIGHT

After the trip, I now more love this vehicle than I thought I would. So fun off road. The trail turn assist is a blast too. But did notice some glitches that wanted to see if anyone else has had:

- after turning it off, the system repeatedly attempted to activate a door lock somewhere at random intervals. I thought it was going to do it all night and therefore keep me awake, but it stopped after 30 min or so. It made no difference if the vehicle was locked (via fob) or not.

- the android auto interface froze several times during the trip. The navigation still worked, it just none of the onscreen buttons worked. Only way to get it working was turn turn off the vehicle.

Hope you find this helpful.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks like someone is having the right kind of fun with their Bronco. 😎

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thats just awesome. Sounds like you and The Ghost Pony are gonna have a great time together. Just wondering did you happen to play Ghost Riders in the Sky yet with driving that steed down the dusty trail?

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Now that's the way to use a Bronco. But I'm old, and haven't slept outdoors since God invented the Holiday Inn. :)

Oh, and as far as the door locks. It may be because the system recognizes the FOB is still in the truck, and it unlocks automatically. Just a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess). The screen I'm not sure about.

Welcome to the forum Esteban. Keep posting pics of your adventures.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Report the Android auto issues to your dealer. That way Ford can look into it and release a software update to fix it.

Sponsored

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs