First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
.....and WHERE did you get that cool sticker??? I laughed pretty hard when I saw that. And yeah, that antenna is pretty tall. I also have the ID5100; have had it for a little over a year, paired with the Comet 2x4 mounted on the driver's side mirror with a Rugged mount and Diamond RG316 coax that came with a "shorty" post NMO. SWR is 1.01 and thus far, all contacts have reported a perfect signal.

Cheers, and 73!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
....side question, what did you use to mount the radio head between the knob area and the screen? That looks pretty good there and certainly convenient for easy removal.

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bldavis11

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got the antenna mounted but I have not installed the radio yet since my project got sidelined by a "turbo wastegate stuck closed" fault at 2500 miles. It has been at the dealer for the last week. I will report back on antenna performance once I get to test it.
Have you had a chance to test out that stubby antenna? 🍿🍿🍿

73's -- KF0JOT

Hunterwjusmc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you had a chance to test out that stubby antenna? 🍿🍿🍿

73's -- KF0JOT
I have been using both the stubby and my Comet 2x4 and I can see very little difference between them which still surprises me. They both work very well.

Sponsored
OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where did you end up putting the radio body?

Sponsored

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good job with the radio. You found a great mounting solution.
I am currently running a Yaesu FTM6000 in our Bronco.

I used to run that Comet antenna on my F150. Fantastic all around. For for a short while a Radio Shack MURS radio was hooked to it. Worked great. The only disparaging word i will speak is that the Comet antenna while being about the best there is for a multi band, is the stiffness. Even with the spring (ours was the add on spring) it proved to be very stiff and bent the NMO mount on low limbs. Just a heads up for the up front location on the Bronco. It seems a little exposed there. The antenna can put a lot of pressure on the mount.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good job with the radio. You found a great mounting solution.
I am currently running a Yaesu FTM6000 in our Bronco.

I used to run that Comet antenna on my F150. Fantastic all around. For for a short while a Radio Shack MURS radio was hooked to it. Worked great. The only disparaging word i will speak is that the Comet antenna while being about the best there is for a multi band, is the stiffness. Even with the spring (ours was the add on spring) it proved to be very stiff and bent the NMO mount on low limbs. Just a heads up for the up front location on the Bronco. It seems a little exposed there. The antenna can put a lot of pressure on the mount.
Good to know, thank you.
Hi!

Under the steering wheel with the fan facing down👍
Excellent

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Curious how you got the Cat 5 from the radio body to the head? I just installed a BulletPoint dash mounting system for my Garmin and phone, and I am now thinking of putting my Icom radio head there as well. Any tips on how you ran the Cat 5?
Sponsored