First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's been 3 months since I took possession of my 2022 Wildtrak, Sasq edition and I finally got around to installing the Icom Dual Band Ham radio that I removed from my f150 when I sold it. First...thank you VERY MUCH to the folks on this forum that gave me tips, sent me pictures and gave me ideas. Pure GOLDEN information.

I would like to say the install was easy....but it wasn't....and the process is not completely finished as I need to find a final spot for the radio head. My plan is to put the head up near the Aux switches, but that will likely be an all day project after looking at a video posted on another thread.

I will post pics, parts and process as I go. This is the first original post I have done....so please excuse any missteps.

The radio is a dual band Icom 5100A with MARS mods. I am a licensed HAM but have not applied for my GMRS license yet. That said, the dual band will run both UHF (GMRS Frequencies) and VHF (Ham as well as the common off road frequencies currently used by some off roaders). I know....only FCC sanctioned GMRS radios are supposed to be used on GMRS channels...but there is not a lot of space for two radios and I know enough not to overpower transmissions.

The Antenna is mounted on the driver's side housing using a Rugged Radios Billet NMO mount, #MT-ANT-BRONCO-AL; However, the NMO mount with coax from Rugged had a post that was far, far to long, and wouldn't fit inside the mirror trim so I ended up using a Diamond NMO mount with a shorter post that I got from DX Engineering, # DMN-C101NME. The Diamond mount comes attached to RG316 coax, and has the PL259 adapter for standard radio antenna threads. The coax is super thin, but is Mil-Spec rated, will take high temps and can easily handle the wattage. The antenna is a dual band Comet, CA2X4SR that I previously got from Gigaparts. I have had very good performance with this antenna on my truck, and it has the added advantage of a retractable swivel joint near the base, so you can fold it over in low clearance places. You can also add an optional spring base at the bottom, which I plan on putting on at a later date.

The radio body is mounted under the steering wheel on a metal plate behind the plastic trim. The plate unscrews easily and I used two metal L brackets from the cabinet section at a hardware store. I tapped two holes in the metal plate and used machine screws to secure the radio. The microphone cable and radio head cable are fished under the dash and inside the DV8 Molle panels alongside the center console. I lost about one inch or so of up / down travel with the wheel, but it still has plenty of travel room.

When I ran a SWR meter to check the match between the radio, coax and antenna, I got a rather amazing reading of 1.01 on VHF (as close to perfect as I could ever hope for) and 1.8 on UHF.
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1456

Cheers!!
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1456
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1457
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1458
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1452A
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1454a
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1463
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1459
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures DSC_1460.JPG
Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is there a trick to getting that panel under the steering column open? Or do you just yank it?

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a trick to getting that panel under the steering column open? Or do you just yank it?
Yank it straight down from the middle under the steering column, making sure you are NOT holding the metal support bracket immediately behind the plastic panel. It’s held in entirely with pressfit clips that are pretty sturdy and shouldn’t break. Alternatively you can go slow around the edges and once you get the first clip popped the rest should be easy.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey thanks for this. I’ve considered relocating my yaesu 400 radio to that exact spot. That antenna mount looks VERY clean.

Pugsly

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That panel is where I put my kicker key 200.4 so this is where I mounted mine.
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures E9B1B96B-B663-4374-A1D6-C8A848032DB6
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures CE70DF89-80D6-43F6-BB27-6F67DAB4DC32
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures A219C787-AA9F-475C-99D7-DCDB90BB146F

Sponsored

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 2 Door, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have my Bronco yet, but I have the Icom 5100A-Deluxe waiting to be installed on it. Following this thread!

Reactions: Rat

Jedijp

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford bronco base 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great thread. I am hoping to start this project soon on my base. Thanks for the post 👍🙌

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10, Bronco ll
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where do I get the panel on the side of the center console?

Arlo.Overland

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also have the same radio. I will more then likely mount the body in the back on a molle panel and run an extension to the front for the head, ext speaker, and mic.

KG5ZEV

Pugsly

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been 3 months since I took possession of my 2022 Wildtrak, Sasq edition and I finally got around to installing the Icom Dual Band Ham radio that I removed from my f150 when I sold it. First...thank you VERY MUCH to the folks on this forum that gave me tips, sent me pictures and gave me ideas. Pure GOLDEN information.

I would like to say the install was easy....but it wasn't....and the process is not completely finished as I need to find a final spot for the radio head. My plan is to put the head up near the Aux switches, but that will likely be an all day project after looking at a video posted on another thread.

I will post pics, parts and process as I go. This is the first original post I have done....so please excuse any missteps.

The radio is a dual band Icom 5100A with MARS mods. I am a licensed HAM but have not applied for my GMRS license yet. That said, the dual band will run both UHF (GMRS Frequencies) and VHF (Ham as well as the common off road frequencies currently used by some off roaders). I know....only FCC sanctioned GMRS radios are supposed to be used on GMRS channels...but there is not a lot of space for two radios and I know enough not to overpower transmissions.

The Antenna is mounted on the driver's side housing using a Rugged Radios Billet NMO mount, #MT-ANT-BRONCO-AL; However, the NMO mount with coax from Rugged had a post that was far, far to long, and wouldn't fit inside the mirror trim so I ended up using a Diamond NMO mount with a shorter post that I got from DX Engineering, # DMN-C101NME. The Diamond mount comes attached to RG316 coax, and has the PL259 adapter for standard radio antenna threads. The coax is super thin, but is Mil-Spec rated, will take high temps and can easily handle the wattage. The antenna is a dual band Comet, CA2X4SR that I previously got from Gigaparts. I have had very good performance with this antenna on my truck, and it has the added advantage of a retractable swivel joint near the base, so you can fold it over in low clearance places. You can also add an optional spring base at the bottom, which I plan on putting on at a later date.

The radio body is mounted under the steering wheel on a metal plate behind the plastic trim. The plate unscrews easily and I used two metal L brackets from the cabinet section at a hardware store. I tapped two holes in the metal plate and used machine screws to secure the radio. The microphone cable and radio head cable are fished under the dash and inside the DV8 Molle panels alongside the center console. I lost about one inch or so of up / down travel with the wheel, but it still has plenty of travel room.

When I ran a SWR meter to check the match between the radio, coax and antenna, I got a rather amazing reading of 1.01 on VHF (as close to perfect as I could ever hope for) and 1.8 on UHF.
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures A219C787-AA9F-475C-99D7-DCDB90BB146F

Cheers!!
Like that antenna mount!…….very clean purposeful.
Figure in that position the bonnet (hood) acts as a ground plane?

Jmart52

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrack, 76 Bronco, 64 f100 etc
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went with an Icom 2750 and did the Mars mod. I mounted the base unit under the passenger seat. I made a mount that clamps onto the passenger center grab handle for the faceplate/head unit. I ran an an rg6 extension in the center console. I did that so I could remove everything easily and not be seen.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is a hinge at the bottom of the trim, and snap in tabs around the top edges and center. Use your hands to grip the plastic on the right and left sides directly under the steering wheel where the rubber dust flap is located, and gently pull out and down. Be aware the snap tabs have small blue clips that can either pop off, or sometimes remain inside their pockets. It's no big deal, you can push them out from the inside out or use tweezers. If they pop off you can press them back onto the tabs located on the trim piece.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is a hinge at the bottom of the trim, and snap in tabs around the top edges and center. Use your hands to grip the plastic on the right and left sides directly under the steering wheel where the rubber dust flap is located, and gently pull out and down. Be aware the snap tabs have small blue clips that can either pop off, or sometimes remain inside their pockets. It's no big deal, you can push them out from the inside out or use tweezers. If they pop off you can press them back onto the tabs located on the trim piece.
The green circle is the hinge area.

DSC_1452B.jpg

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Like that antenna mount!…….very clean purposeful.
Figure in that position the bonnet (hood) acts as a ground plane?
Yeah, partially. The antenna is a 1/2 wave so no ground plane is really needed, but is always helpful to have one.
Sponsored