First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F150, 2024 Bronco On Order
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am new to the forum (actually my first post) and am waiting for my 2024 Wildtrak to be built. I have a question about engine noise on a ham radio set up. I had a 2015 F150 that I installed an Icom 7000 in. I had a lot of noise on the receive signal. I did a ton of grounding which helped a lot but could never get rid of it completely. I had read that there was an issue with the fuel pump generating noise on two-way radios. There was a Technical Service Bulletin on it from Ford and a filter that could be installed however the fuel pump was mounted in the gas tank and it was a costly install. Has anyone heard of this with the Bronco? Also, is anyone having any noise issues with their Ham Radio install in their Bronco? I would be interested to hear what you did to resolve this? Just trying to be proactive before it arrives so I know what I need to do. I will be running the Icom 7000 again with a Tarheel II for HF and a dual band UHF/VHF as well. Any information, tips, suggestions would be really helpful. I am also willing to share my install experiences with anyone if it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sponsored

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5, 2019 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I too have ordered a WT that I am planning a fairly substantial install in. I have done a fair amount of reading here already and have not come across anyone noting any noise issues however it's worth noting that amateur radio users make up a very small percentage of folks here and those desiring to set up HF is even smaller.

With that here is my planned install:
(2) Icom ID-5100
(2) Compactenna LMR-I on A pillar mounts, I have my reasons for this that I'll explain later
(1) Yaesu FT891
(1) Yaesu ATAS-120A

I am planning to use the Compactenna LMR-I antenna because my needs for VHF/UHF are all over the board but rarely for super long distance. Mostly repeaters and using several clearnodes for digital. Also was limiting my antenna count to the front A pillars for UHF/VHF so they've got some distance from the ATAS on the back.

I am thinking of going with LoD Bronco Destroyer Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier. Reason being that it has a really stout mount for the spare tire that I think will lend itself well to a mount for the ATAS-120A while still being decently protected from falling ice/snow in the winter.

Grounding, I have been spending tons of time scouring youtube videos of people taking apart their interiors for things like dynamat, rear seat delete, dash upgrades, etc. I feel like there are some good locations inside the dash on the firewall for getting a decent ground as well as places on the back rear quarter panels where there is extra bracing and other mount points.

Good luck with your install and happy to compare notes as we both get ours and get started on installs. My HF setup may have to wait until next winter, have a lot of mountain top work to do this summer and depending on when mine arrives we may not have time to get everything done before the weekends are tied up with mtn top installs and site maintenance.

Brandon
AE7BF

Sea Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi, guys. Sorry I'm a little late on this but I found it interesting because I've run into a little noise glitch myself. I'm running both CB and GMRS with antennas mounted on the fenders and grounded to the frame. The 5w CB is just fine. Low SWR on the lower two thirds of the band and no noise. But the GMRS is a little different. No SWR issues but a little bit of noise on RX. Other than box location (the CB is a Cobra 75 All road mounted to the aluminum plate under the steering wheel, and the GMRS is a Midland MXT275 mounted on a bracket above the glove box opening), the only difference is the UHF coax is routed along the top of the firewall in the engine bay. Just installed it this weekend, so as soon as I get another free weekend I'll do some troubleshooting.

BTW, @TNTACO / @MtnTopComms congrats on your new builds! I just got mine last summer. And after 15 years of Wranglers, I'm very happy with it so far.

I've noticed a few other HAMs on here so there is a growing support community for two-way.

I'll report back here if I discover a good solution to my noise issue.

Congrats again!
Nathan KZ4KNR

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi, guys. Sorry I'm a little late on this but I found it interesting because I've run into a little noise glitch myself. I'm running both CB and GMRS with antennas mounted on the fenders and grounded to the frame. The 5w CB is just fine. Low SWR on the lower two thirds of the band and no noise. But the GMRS is a little different. No SWR issues but a little bit of noise on RX. Other than box location (the CB is a Cobra 75 All road mounted to the aluminum plate under the steering wheel, and the GMRS is a Midland MXT275 mounted on a bracket above the glove box opening), the only difference is the UHF coax is routed along the top of the firewall in the engine bay. Just installed it this weekend, so as soon as I get another free weekend I'll do some troubleshooting.

BTW, @TNTACO / @MtnTopComms congrats on your new builds! I just got mine last summer. And after 15 years of Wranglers, I'm very happy with it so far.

I've noticed a few other HAMs on here so there is a growing support community for two-way.

I'll report back here if I discover a good solution to my noise issue.

Congrats again!
Nathan KZ4KNR
Hi Nathan. Your GMRS antenna runs along the firewall in the engine compartment so it's mounted on the drivers side fender if I understand correctly?

Not certain I follow where the antennas are located. Sounds likely that there is something causing some interference in the engine compartment.

Sea Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi Nathan. Your GMRS antenna runs along the firewall in the engine compartment so it's mounted on the drivers side fender if I understand correctly?

Not certain I follow where the antennas are located. Sounds likely that there is something causing some interference in the engine compartment.
Hi, Brandon-- No the GMRS ant is mounted on the passenger side fender on a stainless mount just like the CB ant is on the driver's side (photo). Both coaxes are run from a rubber grommet in the firewall just above the brake pedal (automatics only, I believe). So the GMRS coax is the only one that has to traverse the engine bay (this is an old photo when I had the GMRS ant mounted on a DV8 light mount). I'm thinking I may just have to get an inline RFI filter for the GMRS. :confused:
Ford Bronco Engine Noise With Ham Radio antenna-01

Sponsored

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ah so it runs along to the driver's side and goes through the firewall then back to the radio above the glove box.

Just curious but did you notice the noise when that antenna was mounted up by the mirror like in this photo?

Reason I ask is the lights that are mounted, LED's, especially cheap ones if they are that, are notorious for noise.

Last question, I think, factory connectors on the antenna cable or did you put the connectors on? Not trying to question your work just working through my own troubleshooting in my head.

OP
OP

TNTACO

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi guys. I would suggest the inline filter. I had one on my setup on my F150 and it helped. If you have access to a SWR meter, I would check that as well for a point of reference. The other thing is grounding, grounding, grounding. On my F150, I had about a dozen points of grounding. I would try grounding the hood to the frame (bypassing the hinges) first. I got the most bang for the buck by grounding the muffler in several places and pieces along the way. I used braided flat cable and used crimp (and soldered) connectors on the ends with stainless steel screws, bolts. I will have a CB installed but it will not be permanent. Everything will have quick connectors for power and antennas. It is just a backup. My main setup will be the Icom 7000 for ham radio. All that said, the theory for engine noise is the same. Although keep in mind CN is 27 Mhz. and GMRS is 450 so there are some inherent differences as far as what affects things at different frequencies. Good luck. We should keep this thread going.

Sea Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well that didn't take long. My culprit was the Midland mic ext cable. I had a feeling it would be something like that. Usually if there's an RFI problem the HF radio will find it first!

@TNTACO those are all good points, especially on the Bronco where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting aluminum. I bonded both antennas to the frame with 1/4 braid and swr is good on both. The CB's resonance is right at 27.1 and I'm really pleased with how it's performed.

I had a Yaesu in my Wrangler for a couple of years but hardly used it, so I pulled it out and used it as a base station and put a CB on that mount. We have a really strong repeater community here so I'm all GMRS and CB (highways) now.

Agree, let's keep the thread going. When I get some time I'll get the meter out and depin that cable. Kind of disappointed in it, but I'd read about a guy in the JL form that got a bad one so I figured I'd start there.

OP
OP

TNTACO

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak