First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I went with an Icom 2750 and did the Mars mod. I mounted the base unit under the passenger seat. I made a mount that clamps onto the passenger center grab handle for the faceplate/head unit. I ran an an rg6 extension in the center console. I did that so I could remove everything easily and not be seen.
Did you have to remove the seat to mount the radio?
Sponsored

Jmart52

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrack, 76 Bronco, 64 f100 etc
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you have to remove the seat to mount the radio?
I tried to do it without removing it. I ended up removing it because it made things way easier. Especially when running wires. Removing it is easy and quick

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where do I get the panel on the side of the center console?
I go that from CJ Pony Parts. It was NOT easy to install, actually, and you have to tap some wholes into the console. I ended up removing the trim bolt at the front so I could get my hands under the trim to fish the bolt on. The back top bolt was completely impossible for me to put in without removing the whole center console, but it seems secure enough with three bolts on each side. I like having the panels; anything that uses Molle straps can attach. That said.....

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I tried to do it without removing it. I ended up removing it because it made things way easier. Especially when running wires. Removing it is easy and quick
good to know...thank you. I may put my auxiliary speaker down there.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That panel is where I put my kicker key 200.4 so this is where I mounted mine.
E9B1B96B-B663-4374-A1D6-C8A848032DB6.jpeg
CE70DF89-80D6-43F6-BB27-6F67DAB4DC32.jpeg
A219C787-AA9F-475C-99D7-DCDB90BB146F.jpeg
Dang, wish I had ordered the panel you have on the side; it's looks easier to install than the one I got from CJ Pony Parts.

Sponsored

Hunterwjusmc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't mounted my Yaesu yet but I did fab up a nice bracket for one of the new "Can" dual band antennas. The cable runs along the factory tailgate harness. (K2PLC) here 73's
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures 2023-01-30 16.22.21
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with Pictures 2023-01-30 16.22.16

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where do I get the panel on the side of the center console?
I haven't mounted my Yaesu yet but I did fab up a nice bracket for one of the new "Can" dual band antennas. The cable runs along the factory tailgate harness. (K2PLC) here 73's
That looks very low profile; definitely not going to snag on any branches. Have you had good performance with the shorty antennas?

Hunterwjusmc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That looks very low profile; definitely not going to snag on any branches. Have you had good performance with the shorty antennas?
I got the antenna mounted but I have not installed the radio yet since my project got sidelined by a "turbo wastegate stuck closed" fault at 2500 miles. It has been at the dealer for the last week. I will report back on antenna performance once I get to test it.

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I got the antenna mounted but I have not installed the radio yet since my project got sidelined by a "turbo wastegate stuck closed" fault at 2500 miles. It has been at the dealer for the last week. I will report back on antenna performance once I get to test it.
I’m definitely interested in hearing about your performance with this antenna as well. I screwed one on my NMO base to test SWR’s, but haven’t ever used it in the field.

SWR’s were something like 6-8, but my mount is located in the factory antenna hole through the plastic cowl cover. MFG of antenna said it was designed to be mounted on a corner of the roof, which isn’t an option for me.

Sponsored

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That panel is where I put my kicker key 200.4 so this is where I mounted mine.
I originally mounted mine behind the tire as well, then checked with a SWR meter and my readings were garbage. I bought a BAMF tailgate reinforcement plate and moved the antenna there, closer to the hinges. Immediately my SWR went from around 4 to a 1.1. Just my 2 cents.

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I originally mounted mine behind the tire as well, then checked with a SWR meter and my readings were garbage. I bought a BAMF tailgate reinforcement plate and moved the antenna there, closer to the hinges. Immediately my SWR went from around 4 to a 1.1. Just my 2 cents.
Pics if ya have’m please?

Huntingbigun

Raptor
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 4x4, 98 Ls Tj on tons
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey thanks for this. I’ve considered relocating my yaesu 400 radio to that exact spot. That antenna mount looks VERY clean.
I mounted my 400 there fits fine and used JCR mount with shorter ant like his as well, mounted control head on rail dash 67 design to top it off, it on drivers left easy wire by pull grab bar tweak wires up top

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been 3 months since I took possession of my 2022 Wildtrak, Sasq edition and I finally got around to installing the Icom Dual Band Ham radio that I removed from my f150 when I sold it. First...thank you VERY MUCH to the folks on this forum that gave me tips, sent me pictures and gave me ideas. Pure GOLDEN information.

I would like to say the install was easy....but it wasn't....and the process is not completely finished as I need to find a final spot for the radio head. My plan is to put the head up near the Aux switches, but that will likely be an all day project after looking at a video posted on another thread.

I will post pics, parts and process as I go. This is the first original post I have done....so please excuse any missteps.

The radio is a dual band Icom 5100A with MARS mods. I am a licensed HAM but have not applied for my GMRS license yet. That said, the dual band will run both UHF (GMRS Frequencies) and VHF (Ham as well as the common off road frequencies currently used by some off roaders). I know....only FCC sanctioned GMRS radios are supposed to be used on GMRS channels...but there is not a lot of space for two radios and I know enough not to overpower transmissions.

The Antenna is mounted on the driver's side housing using a Rugged Radios Billet NMO mount, #MT-ANT-BRONCO-AL; However, the NMO mount with coax from Rugged had a post that was far, far to long, and wouldn't fit inside the mirror trim so I ended up using a Diamond NMO mount with a shorter post that I got from DX Engineering, # DMN-C101NME. The Diamond mount comes attached to RG316 coax, and has the PL259 adapter for standard radio antenna threads. The coax is super thin, but is Mil-Spec rated, will take high temps and can easily handle the wattage. The antenna is a dual band Comet, CA2X4SR that I previously got from Gigaparts. I have had very good performance with this antenna on my truck, and it has the added advantage of a retractable swivel joint near the base, so you can fold it over in low clearance places. You can also add an optional spring base at the bottom, which I plan on putting on at a later date.
I've got a Comet 2X4 coming today (c'mon UPS), with the spring.
I bought that flagpole/shovel/antenna mount off of Amazon about a week after I got my truck...it works, not sure it's worth $120. There are probably better options out there. I normally run an old Comet; model number is painted over; I'm not a fan of silver antennas, but I also bought a Diamond SG7900, which performs fantastically in the RF department, but is 62" tall and stands 9 feet tall when mounted on the Bronco.
I spent about three days tearing apart the interior of my Badlands, mounting the main unit of my Yaesu FTM-400 on the interior panel next to the passenger rear seat, and the faceplate and mic on the dash...YES!!! I drilled holes!!!
Anyways, I recently acquired an ID-5100, since they are now discounted, and I may swap it into the Bronco for the Yaesu...just hafta snake (yet) another cable thru the interior!!!
73's de W5DGV!!!

20221207_131911.jpg

20221207_131921.jpg

20221125_161905.jpg
Sponsored