First Name
Leonard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
First of all, I would like to thank everyone that shares their info on installs. I have a FTM-400. I’m looking at placing the control head off the mountain2metal Over Head Squatch Basket. I too not a fan of drilling into plastic panels. I also decided to run with GMRS. My biggest issue was, what antenna to use and where to put it. I wanted my antenna close to the center of the vehicle for less chance of breakage. I’m going to use the Melowave Overlander from Buy2Way Radio. I haven’t decided where to put my mic attachment, maybe down by the accessory ports. But here is a few pictures of where I’m in placing my antenna. Before you ask. I’m running a RTR spare tire holder with the off-road jack mount. I’m also thinking about running a second antenna for possible 2m/70cm usage. My radio system is a work in progress. I only want to do it one time.
Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 16E63C97-0539-4B99-8D65-C966C3E0D5C2
Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 A7785A55-449E-4919-B670-60C33B19E035
Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 E660E0B9-6E97-4895-9EDA-776CA4CBB78B
Sponsored

JBKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the stubby antenna for around-town APRS stuff and convoy communications. I switch to the 40" antenna for the camp site and emergency needs. It uses a standard PL-259 connector so I may play with some other antenna options.

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 E660E0B9-6E97-4895-9EDA-776CA4CBB78B
Which antenna is the stubby one? Is it a dual-band 2M/70cm?

Hunterwjusmc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That was the hardest part. I'm pretty sure there must be an easier way, but I didn't want to start pulling apart the dash without a quality shop manual.
I wholeheartedly agree! I mounted my radio in the same location and getting that fuseblock out was a real pain. I may have actually invented a few new words...lol

I ended up mounting my head unit on the dash though. I am in FL and so far the heat has not been an issue.

2023-10-13 16.57.11.jpg

Sponsored

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

K4KWP here - just need to install my radio... 73

JBKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally got around to installing my FT-8800 a few weeks back, and figured I should share the install as well.

To mount the radio, I used an old winch plate that's been lying around on my workbench for years. It's definitely overkill for mounting a radio, but it turned out to be the perfect size to hold the body of my radio. Using the studs in the firewall for the clutch pedal I don't have, I only needed to drill out one of the holes a bit to get the plate to fit over the studs. Using the bracket that came with the radio, I attached the radio to the plate, and got it bolted in place. Due to the location of the pedal studs, the radio is mounted high enough up that I can only touch it with my toes if really try, so it's up and out of the way. (I've got size 13 feet, so if I have a hard time hitting it, plenty of people will probably be just fine. Plus, you know what they say about a guy with big feet…)

The external speaker for the radio is attached to the lip of the winch plate using some VHB tape I had leftover from another project, and so far, I haven't had problems hearing the radio even when cruising down the highway at 70, with music in the background.

I ran the power lines and antenna through the grommet for the clutch pedal, and connected directly to the battery for power. Ran the antenna line over to the passenger side, and have it mounted to an RCI ditch light bracket.

The head unit for the radio is mounted above the visor, so it stays pretty hidden, but is still easy to access. I would have preferred to hide the cabling completely, but I also didn't want to drill any holes up there, so I wrapped the cables in black tape, and attached the head unit using more VHB. I just ran a length of CAT-6 cable from the radio to the head unit, then another line from that back down the A-pillar, under the steering wheel, and put a port for the mic under the climate controls. Keeps the mic easy to access, but still out of the way.

I've been using this radio for years now - originally had it installed in a '94 Bronco, it then moved to an F-150, and now it's back in a Bronco where it belongs.

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 IMG_9278 Lar

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 IMG_9279 Lar

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 IMG_9280 Lar

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 IMG_9277 Lar

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is a great thread and I've gleaned several new ideas.

Just to add to this, I installed my Yaesu FTM6000R control-head in the areas circled. We used an aluminum hardware store flat bar to the screw on the left but replaced with a bolt and on the righside little shelf we attched it with velcro. Radio is mounted to the aluminum with a small el shaped piece. I used a photo posted by @allhorse. I did not see the path he used when we installed or may have used it.
The main unit of our Yaesu is on the driverside rear side window shelf, antenna on the tire mount using a custom bracket. Thanks allhorse for your post.

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211211_175317500_iOS
Sponsored