Sponsored

Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco?

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor & '21 4Runner TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have a Badlands SAS built and "shipped" somewhere in the country with a constantly changing ETA. Currently I own a decently modified 2021 4Runner TRD Offroad and sometimes wonder if switching from it to the Bronco is worth it. I orginally bought the 4Runner to just get by until the Bronco came. Except I went a little crazy with mods on the 4Runner since the Bronco took so long.

Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to the Bronco?
Whats your opinion on the switch?
Was it worth it?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have a TRD off road 4runner and a 21 2 door black diamond. They are two completely different machines. Bronco is way more fun to drive since top and doors come off (and manual trans for mine) but the 4runner is more reliable and more usable cargo space which makes it so much better for overlanding or long road trips. If you have a family I vote for the 4runner if you plan on going on trips a lot with it. (or be like me and keep both lol)
Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? PXL_20211004_220013117~2

MIBronco21

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We also have both a 2021 4Runner (wife’s daily) and a 2-door Badlands w/Sasquatch, which is a 3rd vehicle.

I agree with the poster above in that they are very different vehicles. I wouldn’t want the Bronco for a family’s daily driver, but it is perfect to use as a toy to have fun with. Have you owned or driven a Wrangler? The Bronco is similar in that it has a lot more road noise than your 4 Runner.

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. Is there anyone who has a 4dr bronco with high or lux package that could compare it and the 4runner?

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I owned for 2 yrs a 2016 SR5 that I added bilstein 6112/5160 and BFG KO2’s.

As others have said they’re both very different vehicles.

The 4R is stupid reliable, very solid and no frills.

Before I got my Bronco I test drove a TRD Pro 4R debating going back to that platform.

Bronco is basically like a Wrangler (which I’ve had 3, 2 JK’s & 1 JL), in that it’s more about the fun factor. Doors/Top can come off, it’s rough around the edges and the ride isn’t as nice as a 4R however it’s pretty good (really not bad for a 4x4 dedicated vehicle).

Sponsored

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands SAS built and "shipped" somewhere in the country with a constantly changing ETA. Currently I own a decently modified 2021 4Runner TRD Offroad and sometimes wonder if switching from it to the Bronco is worth it. I orginally bought the 4Runner to just get by until the Bronco came. Except I went a little crazy with mods on the 4Runner since the Bronco took so long.

Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to the Bronco?
Whats your opinion on the switch?
Was it worth it?

Thanks!
I did, check out my videos and Instagram.

I speak about the comparison in this video for my 1 year Bronco review

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I actually have both a 2021 4runner trd off road and a 2023 base sasquatch 4 door with the v6 and a hard top.

I don't know how you would compare them.. they are only similar in that they are both 4 door offroad vehicles.

The bronco fit and finish is trash. It feels like a cheap car. 30k base makes sense. That said it's so much fun to take the roof off and go drive in the mud/dirt/etc. The modularity, the fact you can swap so much and it's basically built to let you come in and bolt on anything you want, modify anything, it FEELS that way in the best way. It's almost like a very expensive Lego set that I can drive. I am worried that the electronics, the unproven v6 and the problems everyone seems to have will plague mine the same as many others. I already anticipate needing a hard top replaced. It's garbage. That said it's a big fun brick that I get excited to drive.

The 4runner has a v6 from 2006 basically and it's bulletproof. It doesn't feel right to modify, it feels like you're taking something good and messing with it. It's very comfortable, I like that I can pick up friends for a nice dinner and feel like I'm in a nice vehicle. The bronco is not that. I would not take it to pick up clients/friends/etc. The 4runner feels SOLID in a way that I don't worry about a wreck. I know it will go 800k miles with just regular oil changes and love when things get wonky. I plan on having my 4runner forever. I will have my bronco until I get bored and want something new, like a ranger raptor.

Any other specifics I'm happy to share. They are different animals. If I had to pick one, honestly, the 4runner. I can use it MORE places. It will NEVER be as fun as my Bronco, but it is much more useful in more situations.
Basically just cool to hate on potential Bronco problems, even if you don’t have any.
Have a TRD off road 4runner and a 21 2 door black diamond. They are two completely different machines. Bronco is way more fun to drive since top and doors come off (and manual trans for mine) but the 4runner is more reliable and more usable cargo space which makes it so much better for overlanding or long road trips. If you have a family I vote for the 4runner if you plan on going on trips a lot with it. (or be like me and keep both lol)
PXL_20211004_220013117~2.jpg
More reliable? Has your Bronco failed you and left you stranded yet?
We also have both a 2021 4Runner (wife’s daily) and a 2-door Badlands w/Sasquatch, which is a 3rd vehicle.

I agree with the poster above in that they are very different vehicles. I wouldn’t want the Bronco for a family’s daily driver, but it is perfect to use as a toy to have fun with. Have you owned or driven a Wrangler? The Bronco is similar in that it has a lot more road noise than your 4 Runner.
Not a good family vehicle? Hmm, 4 doors not a family vehicle or daily. I disagree. Fits my girls just fine and our 12 hour road trip with 4 inside proved just that. Only thing we all would change in this household is the rear seats can angle back just a little more. Already have a mod for that.

Where as I have never owned a 4runner, I have driven newer models and older. They all feel like my dad’s ‘87 Toyota pickup to me.

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I actually have both a 2021 4runner trd off road and a 2023 base sasquatch 4 door with the v6 and a hard top.

I don't know how you would compare them.. they are only similar in that they are both 4 door offroad vehicles.

The bronco fit and finish is trash. It feels like a cheap car. 30k base makes sense. That said it's so much fun to take the roof off and go drive in the mud/dirt/etc. The modularity, the fact you can swap so much and it's basically built to let you come in and bolt on anything you want, modify anything, it FEELS that way in the best way. It's almost like a very expensive Lego set that I can drive. I am worried that the electronics, the unproven v6 and the problems everyone seems to have will plague mine the same as many others. I already anticipate needing a hard top replaced. It's garbage. That said it's a big fun brick that I get excited to drive.

The 4runner has a v6 from 2006 basically and it's bulletproof. It doesn't feel right to modify, it feels like you're taking something good and messing with it. It's very comfortable, I like that I can pick up friends for a nice dinner and feel like I'm in a nice vehicle. The bronco is not that. I would not take it to pick up clients/friends/etc. The 4runner feels SOLID in a way that I don't worry about a wreck. I know it will go 800k miles with just regular oil changes and love when things get wonky. I plan on having my 4runner forever. I will have my bronco until I get bored and want something new, like a ranger raptor.

Any other specifics I'm happy to share. They are different animals. If I had to pick one, honestly, the 4runner. I can use it MORE places. It will NEVER be as fun as my Bronco, but it is much more useful in more situations.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the Lux package hoping it would be a step up from the 4Runner. I'm also a little worried about the Bronco long term issues everyone keeps bringing up on the forum.

I just can't stand the 4Runner transmission and was looking for that upgrade along with the sway bar disconnect.

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? PXL_20211004_220013117~2
Both is not a bad idea. haha

kgolive

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I couldn't agree more with your post! I sold my 4Runner to buy the Bronco and everything you said is exactly how I feel about it. The 4Runner was my first real attempt at building an off-road rig. It was a solid and dependable truck but I wanted something with newer technology and easier to modify, thus landing on the new Bronco. My initial thoughts on the Bronco after receiving it was wow this thing feels cheaply made. And that I have no doubt is correct, but I do enjoy driving it more than the 4Runner. My dog seems to enjoy it more too and that makes me happy. Here's a few photos of the Runner just before I sold it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

e32aeab3661149048e7bf2615a8555b3.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I actually had a 2012 Jeep Jk 4door. It was one of my favorite vehicles. I'm tall so the headroom was awful though, much worse with the JLs because my head touches the sound bar. We all spend more time onroad than offroad, so the solid axle Jeep was just draining to drive long distance.

Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I owned for 2 yrs a 2016 SR5 that I added bilstein 6112/5160 and BFG KO2’s.

As others have said they’re both very different vehicles.

The 4R is stupid reliable, very solid and no frills.

Before I got my Bronco I test drove a TRD Pro 4R debating going back to that platform.

Bronco is basically like a Wrangler (which I’ve had 3, 2 JK’s & 1 JL), in that it’s more about the fun factor. Doors/Top can come off, it’s rough around the edges and the ride isn’t as nice as a 4R however it’s pretty good (really not bad for a 4x4 dedicated vehicle).
Which one is your favorite?

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I couldn't agree more with your post! I sold my 4Runner to buy the Bronco and everything you said is exactly how I feel about it. The 4Runner was my first real attempt at building an off-road rig. It was a solid and dependable truck but I wanted something with newer technology and easier to modify, thus landing on the new Bronco. My initial thoughts on the Bronco after receiving it was wow this thing feels cheaply made. And that I have no doubt is correct, but I do enjoy driving it more than the 4Runner. My dog seems to enjoy it more too and that makes me happy. Here's a few photos of the Runner just before I sold it.

Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? e32aeab3661149048e7bf2615a8555b3

Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? e32aeab3661149048e7bf2615a8555b3

Haha you're my long lost cousin.
My 4R is also supercharged, Fox 2.5 DSCs, gusseted spindles, 35s, 4.88 gears, front locker, etc etc etc.

Any regrets getting rid of the exceptionally modded 4R?

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get that they’re different, but kinda they’re not. They’re direct competitors. My friend has a ‘20 TRD Pro. I have a Badlands with High. We paid a similar price. He is flat out envious and has told me so. I have no issue driving VP level coworkers to lunch or family in my Bronco. Kids are teenagers so that helps. They love it, my daughter is always asking if I’ll driver her friends around with the top down.

if you want quiet and reliable while still capable, get the TRD. Otherwise Bronco wins easily until the 4 Runner gets an upgrade.

Last edited:

kgolive

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha you're my long lost cousin.
My 4R is also supercharged, Fox 2.5 DSCs, gusseted spindles, 35s, 4.88 gears, front locker, etc etc etc.

Any regrets getting rid of the exceptionally modded 4R?
It’s still a little too early to say. I’m in the process of modifying the Bronco similar to the 4Runner. It just doesn’t feel solid. I did the JKS Max clearance kit to run 37’s and that front crash bar was like cutting an aluminum can. It looks massive on the truck until you cut it and see only one small section is even attached to the frame. I got terrible gas mileage in the 4Runner. 9.4mpg with the supercharger and 4.56 gears on 35’s. I’m in the process of doing the suspension now on the Bronco but I am only getting 11mpg avg with stock setup and I don’t even drive it hard.
Sponsored