Sponsored

Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco?

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1984 first year 4 runner, no? That’s 39 in my book. Must be using today’s common core math.
That hiatus is a restart, same name different vehicle. That previous Bronco evolved. This one has not yet. And going even further back, the Bronco that went full size in the 70’s was also a restart. Reliability comes from learning what does and doesn’t work.
You're changing goalposts back and forth to suit whatever point you're trying to make and ignoring everything contradictory to it. Last time I checked, Toyota is no longer selling a 2dr 4runner with a removable top, solid front axle, manual trans, and a 22R engine. Virtually nothing is interchangeable between generations, so the best argument you could possibly make is that Toyota has 12 years of experience building the 5th gen. It's not like Ford built the Bronco from the ground up with all new components that were completely unproven on the road...what makes a Bronco tick has been on the market for at least 7 years now, and some parts have been around for longer than that.
Sponsored

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You said closer to 50, that’s where the 84 comes from. Contradictory as hell.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You said closer to 50, that’s where the 84 comes from. Contradictory as hell.
Oh, right. Yeah I don't know where I got that from, sorry. Maybe it was a typo and I ran with it.

The rest of your post is still ridiculous though, 39 years is still irrelevant to the point you were trying to make. If you think it's relevant, then saying the Bronco only has 2 years by comparison is contradictory. Either way, it's ridiculous.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh, right. Yeah I don't know where I got that from, sorry. Maybe it was a typo and I ran with it.

The rest of your post is still ridiculous though, 39 years is still irrelevant to the point you were trying to make. If you think it's relevant, then saying the Bronco only has 2 years by comparison is contradictory. Either way, it's ridiculous.
“…unchanged for 40 years either (closer to 50, actually), though it does kinda feel like it….”
Does not look like a typo to me. Lack of knowledge? Maybe. But I stand by my post, my opinion. Compare apples to apples and you can have a reliability convo. When a relatively new vehicle, 7 years still is new, that has been using todays technology in a constant learning environment, reliability is less on the side of said vehicle. When you have a vehicle that has been using the same size platform that started out in a mostly mechanical environment and has advanced with technology in a much slower learning environment, that’s how reliability evolves. Learning.

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So here is my too and from:

In December of 2021 I got a offer for my JK that I could not refuse. So in Jan of 22 I bought a used 2019 4R to hold me over till what i thought would be another 8 to 12 month wait. My Bronco was delivered 4 months latter in May.

I did put almost 10K on the 4R and sold for more then I paid for it ($600 Bucks)..

I just don't see the two being in the same class, 4R's seem to be more in line with Bronco Sports.
Plus Toyota just seems to be behind in everything (I know if it aint broke don't fix) The 4R is not that comfy, the 4inch screen sucks, and it didn't get any better gas mileage then my JK with 3inch lift and 35inch tires (but did have way better acceleration then JK) Having said that it is a sharp looking vehicle and they do look better then the Bronco sports .

All in all I wish I could have kept both, but such is life
Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? bronc (2)

Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? IMG_0112.JPG

Sponsored

JDHRNC

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 WildTrak, 2023 WildTrak, 2024 Grenadier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
While never having owned a 4Runner, I would like to put my two cents in on this discussion. I originally had a WildTrak with a lux package and found the truck great for what it is. While waiting for the Bronco I went to look at a Rubicon Limited to tide me over. The Jeep came in at 65k Canadian for a 4 cylinder, hardtop with very little else. The sticker on the WildTrak at the time was 69k and included the lux package, leather interior, modular front bumper, brush guard, and MIC top. When you take into consideration the B&O sound system and adaptive cruise, that alone made the 4K difference a non issue.

I have looked at buying a TRD Pro multiple times over the past couple years but just can’t bring myself to do it. To me Toyota builds fantastically reliable automotive appliances. You’ll never have an issue with them but they’re boring. Being as the truck has remained basically the same since 2009 with only minor updates hasn’t exactly been a strong persuasion to buy one either. I’m currently driving an Everglades that I picked up from my preferred dealer until such time as my Bronco Raptor arrives, and I will say I’m definitely missing the lux package. I agree with the other posters here about fit and finish quality, but wasn’t expecting much going into this. No one can touch the fit and finish of the European brands. I’ve owned numerous G Wagens and Defenders, currently having a Defender 110 V8 in my garage and these trucks are amazing but are also 2-3 times the price of the Bronco. We need to remember the 2.3L turbo is basically the Focus RS motor and the 2.7L TT V6 has been used in the F-150 for a number of years now with few issues.

That being said, I will probably take a serious look at the new 4Runner when it comes out within the next year or two and maybe then I will finally purchase one. I love the look of the TRD Pro version.

To the OP I will say the lux package in combination with the carpeted floors and the insulated hardtop does do a lot to reduce interior noise over the lower trim levels.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Basically just cool to hate on potential Bronco problems, even if you don’t have any.

More reliable? Has your Bronco failed you and left you stranded yet?

Not a good family vehicle? Hmm, 4 doors not a family vehicle or daily. I disagree. Fits my girls just fine and our 12 hour road trip with 4 inside proved just that. Only thing we all would change in this household is the rear seats can angle back just a little more. Already have a mod for that.

Where as I have never owned a 4runner, I have driven newer models and older. They all feel like my dad’s ‘87 Toyota pickup to me.
What is your mod to angle the back seat?

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is your mod to angle the back seat?
If you fold the seats forward, you can locate where it rests at the hinge stops. Not much there really. I was thinking if I take 1/16” off it would angle the seat back a bit more. Then I would have to make sure there is no slop in the seat tilting forward when it is locked upright. When I get around to it. Maybe this weekend when I wash it from last weekend.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to expand a little bit more. My 2018 TRD Off Road 4Runner with a 3" lift and 34" KM3s was about 1 mpg less than my Current Badlands with 3" lift and 37" KM3s. Both had aftermarket front and rear steel bumpers, sliders, and Full skids (aluminum on both). The 4Runner wasn't regeared yet and really struggled on hills and mountains. It did not have a supercharger, just K&N filter and TRD exhaust (Bronco has K&N and flowmaster exhaust). In a drag race, my Bronco would destroy the old 4Runner. Off road capability, Bronco wins Hands down, but I really like the A-trac on the 4Runner. Tech comparison, my 2018 4Runner was extremely lacking compared the Bronco with Lux package. Really only downside of the Bronco for me is the noise from the roof (softtop with a lightbar), otherwise the Bronco is better all around.

Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? stockvs06142021

Ford Bronco Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco? 122022

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I WAS a dyed-in-the-wool Toyota nut. My 22 Badlands 2-door manual LUX has changed all that. My bonafides in order of ownership: 1997 4Runner, 2007 4Runner V8, 1989 4Runner, 2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7, 1984 4Runner, 1996 Tacoma, 2010 4Runner. Every single one 4x4. I still have the 1984 4Runner and it was my daily driver, with over 200,000 miles until I got my Bronco. My 2010 4Runner was passed to my daughter after she totaled her 2012 Tacoma, so we still have that too. The Bronco blows them all away.

The Toyota's required BMC to clear 33's. The Bronco can run 35's and even some 37's as-is. Acceleration is better in the Bronco. The suspension feels more controlled in the Bronco. Gas mileage is on par with each other. My B&O stereo sounds great IMO, but I did like "Party Mode" in the 2010 4Runner and wish I could do that to my Bronco. The 4th Gen 4Runner was almost too big for many of my local trails, and the 5th Gen got even bigger. 3rd Gen 4Runner size is the sweet spot for trails, but those don't fit big people. The Bronco is spacious inside!! The MGV seats are fantastic, but I'm one of those rare people that don't complain about 4Runner seats either.

I do miss the manual J-shifter and am just waiting for the day when the electric GOAT mode selector goes bad, but until then the Bronco wins!!

kp9QYNZ.jpg

8c6bufG.jpg

7zOYgP6.jpg

lJBoKCv.jpg

Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands SAS built and "shipped" somewhere in the country with a constantly changing ETA. Currently I own a decently modified 2021 4Runner TRD Offroad and sometimes wonder if switching from it to the Bronco is worth it. I orginally bought the 4Runner to just get by until the Bronco came. Except I went a little crazy with mods on the 4Runner since the Bronco took so long.

Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to the Bronco?
Whats your opinion on the switch?
Was it worth it?

Thanks!
Traded my 2020 TRD Pro for my Bronco (got more than I paid for it). Really the only thing about the 4Runner I liked more was the reputation for reliability. As the internet joke goes... want the power of a 4 cyl. with the fuel economy of a V8? Buy a 4Runner!

Jokes aside, it was so underpowered (especially in the mountains where I live), the transmission was always searching in the hills, and it couldn't tow anything near it's tow rating and not be the most underpowered or improperly geared vehicle on the road. Passed by RV's, semis, and subaru's towing trailers every time.

This one is subjective but it had the most uncomfortable seats ever. Couldn't drive more than an hour tops w/o having to get out and stretch while squirming for better seating position the entire time. I've done 12 hrs. straight in the Bronco only getting out for fuel and restroom breaks and barely moving in the seat. Also the archaic infotainment system was so dated. This was in a top of the line TRD Pro.

Great reliable vehicle but nowhere near as capable in stock TRD Pro form compared to the stock Bronco. Even after mods it couldn't handle half as much terrain. The Broncos balance and 4wd system seems far superior in the snow and ice also (though I did like the satisfying engagement of the manual transfer case). Every time I get in my Bronco it puts a smile on my face and it's fun! While I didn't hate the 4Runner by any means and I knew it would get me where I wanted to go, I would never call it a fun car, pretty capable, definitely reliable but not "fun". We shall see about reliability but at 20K my Bronco has exactly zero issues (knocks on wood) except a cracked windshield.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I owned my 4 Runner for 7 years after owning 94 and 95 Defender 90s for a year each when they came out. The Defenders were cool as shit and totally badass back in the day, but I was happier owning the 4 Runner. It's an SUV with a lot of Utility. After that I owned 4 Wrangers.

Now the Bronco Squatch 2.7L is our one family car and since we don't drive much, it works fine. I am reluctant to take the Bronco on long road trips which we like to do once in a while.

2024 4-Runner?
I am excited about the upcoming re-fresh and if Toyota does a good job, I may consider getting a 4-Runner and selling the Bronco. Reasons I'd consider the switching to 4-Runner

1. Larger fold flat storage area with seats down
  2. Hatchback design much easier to deal with and provides roof to hide under in the rain
  3. Power window in rear hatch
  4. More comfortable, quieter inferior with superior finishes
  5. More inspiring on the highway, esp at higher speed. Better for road trips!
  6. Feels incredibly solid
  7. Quality, reliability, dependability
  8. Excellent off-road capability
  9. More day to day liveability

No doubt the Bronco has inspired Toyota to push the limits further with the 4-Runner refresh than they'd have done without the new competition.

Matt J.

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘97 4Runner SR5 5sp manual, ‘22 4dr BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi! I've been having fun reading everyone's posts.

My daily driver for the past 25 yrs has been a 1997 4Runner SR5 5-sp manual. Mildly upgraded with OME springs and shocks, BFG KO2's, nerf bars, deck plate mod, and some security mods after my catalytic converter was stolen by some tweakers. I've also driven some 4th Gen and 5th Gen 4runners over the years.

It's completely not an apples-to-apples comparison so I'll avoid any comparisons about off road capability. I can't comment on the new 4Runner tech like the multi-terrain select and KDSS systems.

The things I miss about my 4Runner come down to 4 things:
- Power moonroof. Yes I love the Bronco's removable top but it's kind of an all-or-nothing proposition with no capability of changing your environment on the fly.
- Powered rear hatch window. I still don't understand why more manufacturers don't do this. Airflow when the hatch window is lowered is close to a convertible, no buffeting at all. Plus you can toss cargo into the back without worrying about everything falling out.
- Cargo capacity. I have a custom internal bike rack and the 4 runner could swallow 3 bikes plus 3 people. Can't do that in the bronco and the rollbar forces me to lower the seatposts for transport.
- Reliability. I'm having the noise/scraping problem with my bronco 7sp MT already, and my driver window rattles and needs to be adjusted. Never had any build issues with my 4Runner.

The things that I _don't_ miss about my 4runner, besides age related things:
- Seating position. All the 4runners and Tacomas have a raised floor for ground clearance, so it feels like you're sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Underpowered. The 3.4L V6 is bombproof and the 4L V6 in current models is too. But I got tired of feeling like I was the slowest car on the road. I drove a '22 4Runner a few months ago and it felt the same, underpowered on the highway requiring an aggressive throttle poke to force a downshift when passing.

That being said, I'm having tons of fun w/ my Bronco. I'd only go back to a 4Runner if Toyota builds a manual transmission model which will never happen.

Last edited:

Malicar

Badlands
First Name
Jessy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands SAS built and "shipped" somewhere in the country with a constantly changing ETA. Currently I own a decently modified 2021 4Runner TRD Offroad and sometimes wonder if switching from it to the Bronco is worth it. I orginally bought the 4Runner to just get by until the Bronco came. Except I went a little crazy with mods on the 4Runner since the Bronco took so long.

Was it worth it?

Thanks!
I switched from a first gen 4runner.
The only thing I don't like is the room. I could lay the runners back seats flat, and lay down extended to sleep. (6'2") No way in hell can I do that in my 4door Bronco.

Rhinomanj

Raptor
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Was it worth it?

Thanks!
Probably not a good comparison but I just switched from a Gladiator to a Bronco Raptor. I know, the two aren't even in the same category. Aside from all the bells and whistles (which are nice) is the power trane. The extra HP and GOAT modes make all the difference. Only had it a week but took it in the dirt and it was noticably better.
Sponsored