Sponsored

Help needed: Dead Battery, where is the shift lock override? (aka Brake Shift Interlock, page 180 of manual)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does this work with electronic parking brake?
Damn, that's a good question for us manual trans owners!

EDIT:
Hmmmm...
Ford Bronco Help needed: Dead Battery, where is the shift lock override? (aka Brake Shift Interlock, page 180 of manual) Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 10.48.51 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow. I knew I didn't like the electronic manual for more than the hassle, and now I know why. Would be nice if we could buy a paper copy.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damn, that's a good question for us manual trans owners!

EDIT:
Hmmmm...
Ford Bronco Help needed: Dead Battery, where is the shift lock override? (aka Brake Shift Interlock, page 180 of manual) Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 10.48.51 PM
You can manually turn the parking brake ball screw shaft if you remove the motors. Not sure if the Bronco tool kit comes with the correct size bits to remove the motor but wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

Alternatively you can wire up a jumper harness to actuate the motors. Would just need to keep a small 12v battery available. Not sure on the connector and polarity used so @ flip might be able to help there but it would save some time. The more practical option is to just keep a portable jumper in the vehicle. Even without a battery installed you can still power the mains and disengage the parking brake with the switch.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This should have been much easier. Don't know why ford doesn't have the typical little plastic door next to the shifter where you just press down with a "key" to be able to take it out of park.

Combine that with how the Bronco won't start unless it has a well charged battery and I'm really starting to think they didn't have remote locations in mind with this thing.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Last edited:

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
rllw

rllw

Badlands
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What does it mean when the manual states ""the electronic parking break does not operate if the vehicle battery has run out of charge"....

Does this mean it wont disengage if it was engaged when the battery ran out? Or, does it mean the break releases when the battery dies?

I wish I could have tested this yesterday when my battery was dead....

Bender

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What does it mean when the manual states ""the electronic parking break does not operate if the vehicle battery has run out of charge"....

Does this mean it wont disengage if it was engaged when the battery ran out? Or, does it mean the break releases when the battery dies?

It's gotta mean that it won't disengage. Otherwise there'd be people getting run over when they disconnect their battery on a sloped driveway.

I'm surprised there isn't a mechanical workaround though.

Stilbukn

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '13 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hmm that is interesting.. it would suck to have a manual parked on a hill in a high gear with brake set and battery die then it start rolling. :rolleyes: I guess we could put the brake on and disconnect the battery lead to see what happens.

I did find out at the Off-Rodeo that if the brake is set on and you hit the gas to start going it will automatically disengage.

Sponsored

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Parking brake not withstanding...this is reason #12245 to go with the 7-spd...

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wow. I knew I didn't like the electronic manual for more than the hassle, and now I know why. Would be nice if we could buy a paper copy.
Here's a recent thread with a link to the owner's manual as well as the service manual and electrical diagrams.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...wiring-diagrams-owners-manual-download.41803/

Here's also a link to a PDF copy you can download and print.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1B_om_EN-US_03_2021.pdf

And an HTML online version from Ford you can access via your computer and search.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...=EN&countryCode=USA&VIN=&userMarket=USA&div=f

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mine wasn't powerful enough to get it to start....got the blinkers going then the charger died. It's re-charging now and Ford Roadside is on the way. Luckily I'm at home but the beast is parked in a tiny garage so can't get a car near to jump. Hoping to push it out of the garage if needed but can't figure out how to shift it out of park manually.
We have a couple of the HALO jump start devices, they work great! One even has a built in compressor.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

It means whatever setting the actuator (brake) was in it will be left in. They’re not electrically held one way or the other but rather by a shaft driven by a motor when power is applied, polarity determining the direction.

So if the parking brake was applied it will remain applied when you lose battery power. If the brake is off it will stay off. Power doesn’t hold it on or off.

It's gotta mean that it won't disengage. Otherwise there'd be people getting run over when they disconnect their battery on a sloped driveway.

I'm surprised there isn't a mechanical workaround though.
Correct it means it will stay wherever it was left last. And there is a mechanical work around I posted it in this thread.

OP
OP
rllw

rllw

Badlands
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm that is interesting.. it would suck to have a manual parked on a hill in a high gear with brake set and battery die then it start rolling. :rolleyes: I guess we could put the brake on and disconnect the battery lead to see what happens.

I did find out at the Off-Rodeo that if the brake is set on and you hit the gas to start going it will automatically disengage.
haha in hindsight my post was stupid! lol
Sponsored