Trigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
61 Ford T-Bird, Autozam AZ-1, Golf R, Suburban 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I would very much prefer the 100% digital dash that the Mustang has (even though I’ve never used it). Something about a useless speedometer on the left and a digital tachometer just isn’t conducive to driving a manual.
I've offroaded manuals for years. I can't think of a single time where I was paying attention to the tach. If it's a technical trail I'm watching the trail and my spotter and listening to the engine, not watching the dash. The sound of the engine will tell me if I need to shift. Heck, I've driven super base model manuals that had no tach at all. It's a 'nice to have' but not a 'need to have'.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've offroaded manuals for years. I can't think of a single time where I was paying attention to the tach. If it's a technical trail I'm watching the trail and my spotter and listening to the engine, not watching the dash. The sound of the engine will tell me if I need to shift. Heck, I've driven super base model manuals that had no tach at all. It's a 'nice to have' but not a 'need to have'.
I did say mild importance. I used the tach in my Xterra regularly. I regularly short shifted for fuel economy, but with the big aggressive tires, it wasn't always feasible to hear the engine over the road noise. Maybe the Eco G.O.A.T. mode in the Bronco will make that moot.

It's nice to have off-road as well. Frequently, I don't want to shift gears in the middle of an obstacle so keeping an eye on how far I'm from red line comes into play. I think that will be particularly important with the crawler gear.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe you follow what the other lines are doing and you most likely find your answer. Ford Lingo, these are called Productivity Screens.
F-150 XLT = 2.3"
2.3.jpg

F-150 Lariat = 8"
8.jpg
Would freakin' love this.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the analog looking gauges. Looks all race car!

Deadfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350, 2007 HD Road King, 2013 370Z
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only driven vehicles with analog gauges, and no screens, as seen here. Well, aside from my girl's JL... but I don't get to drive that very often. The off-road screens are pretty cool. I'm looking forward to some screens with more info!
Ford Bronco high-level instrument panel IMG_9202
Ford Bronco high-level instrument panel IMG_9203

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the full digital dash in the new Mustang. I like how the look changes based on the mode you're in.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m one for digital gauges over analog. My F150 was a Canadian truck (XTR package) so they swapped the dash over when importing. Every so often the analog speedo gets wacky but the digital gauges show exactly what’s going on.

I like knowing the exact readings vs “the needle is in the middle” but I also have a bluetooth dongle to read any sensor I want on my phone.
Analog is more quickly interpreted by the brain. That's why even the most advanced glass cockpits generally have an analog display (coupled with a digital embed for exact accuracy) - pilot workload and information overload is a real thing, and there are plenty of studies about it that guide design in this field. There are some crazy visual "gauge" designs out there, many we wouldn't even recognize without training - but the brain translates the depiction into usable data more quickly.

Think about it: if all your dial-type gauges are oriented/graduated such that normal operation zones are indicated at the 12:00 position, you know at a glance across even a very a large panel that everything is okay so long as all the needles are at the 12:00. If each is a digital value that you have to associate with the function and mentally note the minimum, maximum, and standard operating values, that can take a great deal of time to process. An analog outer "gauge" with the digital display inside it is a fairly common practice in aviation as it satisfies both the instant attention as well as the specifics of the sensor.

No longer limited to physical constraints of what we can display mechanically, there are a variety of intrinsically informative designs for instant recognition of a condition, status, or value. We have some great opportunities to do things with color, size, and other attention-getting factors to highlight alarm, out-of-range status, or inconsistencies, but this area seems to be lagging in the auto industry. Apps like your phone, coupled with OBD data, are giving us the ability to customize the way our information is displayed to what best suits our individual needs - I hope to see that integrated into OEM products more widely as time goes by.

Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm actually not a fan of the analog speedo with the otherwise digital display. My hope is that the high-level is fully digital and hence fully customizable.
I would very much prefer the 100% digital dash that the Mustang has (even though I’ve never used it). Something about a useless speedometer on the left and a digital tachometer just isn’t conducive to driving a manual.

Auto people could probably care less because they will be drinking their iced mocha-frappe single shot pumpkin espresso-latte to see the tach much less the road.
I'd rather have full digital as well - love the customizable setup in my '18 Mustang GT.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks to me the high level instrument panel will not be different enough to warrant getting a better trim

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm actually not a fan of the analog speedo with the otherwise digital display. My hope is that the high-level is fully digital and hence fully customizable.
Agreed, but analog tach+digital screen on the 992 is bawss:
Ford Bronco high-level instrument panel 1602680033954

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Analog is more quickly interpreted by the brain. That's why even the most advanced glass cockpits generally have an analog display (coupled with a digital embed for exact accuracy) - pilot workload and information overload is a real thing, and there are plenty of studies about it that guide design in this field. There are some crazy visual "gauge" designs out there, many we wouldn't even recognize without training - but the brain translates the depiction into usable data more quickly.

Think about it: if all your dial-type gauges are oriented/graduated such that normal operation zones are indicated at the 12:00 position, you know at a glance across even a very a large panel that everything is okay so long as all the needles are at the 12:00. If each is a digital value that you have to associate with the function and mentally note the minimum, maximum, and standard operating values, that can take a great deal of time to process. An analog outer "gauge" with the digital display inside it is a fairly common practice in aviation as it satisfies both the instant attention as well as the specifics of the sensor.

No longer limited to physical constraints of what we can display mechanically, there are a variety of intrinsically informative designs for instant recognition of a condition, status, or value. We have some great opportunities to do things with color, size, and other attention-getting factors to highlight alarm, out-of-range status, or inconsistencies, but this area seems to be lagging in the auto industry. Apps like your phone, coupled with OBD data, are giving us the ability to customize the way our information is displayed to what best suits our individual needs - I hope to see that integrated into OEM products more widely as time goes by.
Thank you for your insight. That is all good information I had not previously considered.
Sponsored