Sponsored

how does 2-door Bronco handle high winds?

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering how the 2-door Bronco handles high winds? Getting close to buying a used one and hadn't thought about this till yesterday - we had really high winds in Virginia yesterday and a 2-door Wrangler I was in was all over the road. If the 2-door Bronco is similar then I'm going to opt for the longer wheelbase. Appreciate any input - Kit
Fantastic amd the faster I drive the better.
IMG_9941.jpeg
Sponsored

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering how the 2-door Bronco handles high winds? Getting close to buying a used one and hadn't thought about this till yesterday - we had really high winds in Virginia yesterday and a 2-door Wrangler I was in was all over the road. If the 2-door Bronco is similar then I'm going to opt for the longer wheelbase. Appreciate any input - Kit
Jeeps handle terribly under all conditions.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just great if your spouse is in there with you.

WHAT???

OP
OP

KitCarson3

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I drove my 2 door Badlands Sasquatch in the windy Shenandoah Valley VA area earlier in the week, with winds gusting near 50mph.. It gets pushed around more than a car, but it was no big deal. My Cummins Ram was worse in the wind.
Man it was super windy that day!

Sponsored
OP
OP

KitCarson3

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Have a '23 2dr Badlands SAS. Drives like a big go-kart thanks to the short wheelbase. Steering is quick and nimble--feels stable and planted at all speeds. The only time we notice cross-winds is when the interior wind noise picks-up.

Back in Jan, towed our 2500 lb. teardrop trailer 4,000 miles on a cross-country trip. We've towed lots of bigger rigs in the past. This combo was the best ever. Towed like it was on rails---required very little steering input during the entire trip.
That's great - usually a short wheelbase truck doesn't tow a trailer well

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's great - usually a short wheelbase truck doesn't tow a trailer well
It’s no where near as nice as my longbed F-150, but it isn't bad. Then again, I have flat towed my Bronco with the F-150.

Msell71

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 84 SVO, 66 2+2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hilarious thread! Having lived in Kansas and Iowa for the last 30 years, I’ve found most people don’t know what high winds are. Anything under 30 is considered a breeze out here! As for the Bronco, considering it’s a moving block wall, I haven’t been blown over yet.

mikejames

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used to have a 2019 Honda Civic hatchback, and high winds were more of a problem for it than they are with the 2-door Bronco. With the 2-door I notice the odd gust, but it doesn't feel like I’m being pushed around. Handles surprisingly well on the highway.

I've often wondered if, given its larger surface area but similar powertrain/handling characteristics, would a 4-door actually be a little worse for cross-winds on the highway? It's a little bit heavier, but I feel like that wouldn't make a huge difference if the wind is strong enough for you to notice it in the first place.

Now wind NOISE is another thing entirely. Not much we can do about that with a plastic roof.

Last edited:

Sponsored

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drove I-70 across Kansas coming back from Moab last April. 50 mph crosswinds. My 2 door handled just fine, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the frameless windows rattling in high wind. The wind must've caught the seals just right and was able to enter the cab which caused the windows to rattle pretty violently. It drove me insane for hours!

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Our Mercedes Metris passenger van was much worse.
Jason

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey KC,
I drove highway 287 during wind gusts of over 65mph and the 2dr did just fine. Semi's all around me were getting pushed all over the highway, but the Bronco took it all in stride, and that was at driving steady at 65 mph. You will not have any worries...

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I cannot speak to the 2dr., but my 4dr. Sasquatch is rock steady in 25-35 mph cross winds with higher gusts on the bridges down here in Florida. On a trip from N FL to PA up 81, winds were not as high and the Bronco was an easy drive at 75 mph. Above 75 it does start to wander a bit, likely due to air getting under the car and lifting it a bit. Mine is a soft top, the bigger issue is wind noise, it's acceptable at 75 mph with no wind, into a 30 mph wind it's noisy as hell pushing that much air and the fuel economy plummets. It's a tall barn with large frontal and side area but is definitely better than a Wrangler and probably on par with a 4 Runner or similar vehicle.
Sponsored