David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DIY crossbar for making the front 2 hardtop panels more secure without the clamshell.

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.25.55 PM

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.25.39 PM

I shared my project on another post and got some requests for more on how I made it. Please excuse my many poorly executed attempts at metalworking. I’m no fabricator. My mission was to use the tools and brackets I already had in my garage, simple bolt together supplies from Home Depot, and nondestructive/efficient install using existing bolts and mounting points on the bronco. The end result is low costsolid as a rock. Here goes…

The main piece is 1” punched squared tubing joined with 1.25” tube using bolts, nuts, and washers. The 1.25” tube was strictly used to add length, and I had to cut it shorter. So, if you can get 1” tubing long enough to stretch across, then you’ll save some work and a potential weak point that mine has. I made sure it’s solid though, no rattling or bending from the device at all. Also note that the clamps and rubber bumpers (more on these below) on the panels fit perfectly snug, latched around the 1” tube. Anything thicker won’t work, and anything smaller defeats the purpose of securing the panels tightly. The total length of the tube is 49".

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.24.21 PM

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.23.11 PM

Trial and error was the name of the game for the L-brackets. I started with 1” wide by 4” long brackets and trimmed as needed. Make sure they’re thick enough to keep from bending easily. I mounted them to the bronco using the factory bolts securing the clamshell hardtop and the next bolt over holding the clamshell mounting plate (total of 2 factory bolts on each side). I made the holes in the brackets big enough so there was enough play to shift them left, right, forward, and back as needed. My execution here is awful. One of these days I’ll replace the brackets using current ones as a template.

The top of the tubing should sit 1.5” from the top of the hardtop mounting plate (I’m referring to the black plate secured to the roll bar right above the window). Front to back, the center of the tube is 1.25” from the first bolt hole on the mounting plate. Of course if you do what I did and use 1.25” tubing as an extension on one end, these measurements should to be tweaked on that side. The tubing needs to be at just the right placement so that the rubber bumpers on the panels do their job. Those rubber bumpers are already attached to the panels. They're asymmetrical on the back side and work best if you position the tube in a way so the longer part of the bumpers sort of drape over the back of the 1" tubing when latched. The images below should help.

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.18.45 PM

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.20.30 PM

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar 1694218909727

I won’t go over the assembly of the whole thing, but I just used bolts, nuts, and washers. I hope someone else tries this project out and shares his/her results. I’m sure they’ll be cleaner than mine. With that said, I plan on adding a coat of black paint and some end caps to finish it off. I look forward to feedback, suggestions, and advice!

For removal, when I’m ready to put the hardtop clamshell back on, I just remove the 4 factory bolts and lift the whole thing off (tubing and brackets stay together). It goes quickly since I’m using the same mounting points for the clamshell.

Thanks!
David

p.s. many people run the front two panels without issue. My tops look unaligned without the crossbar and I wanted more mounting points for a partition between the front and back seats. More to come on that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I like this idea alot! more pictures would be most welcome to show the overall look - though not sure what angles would do that in addition to the ones you already provided! great job on it.

OP
OP
davidforlife

davidforlife

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like this idea alot! more pictures would be most welcome to show the overall look - though not sure what angles would do that in addition to the ones you already provided! great job on it.
thanks! Here’s a few. I’m thinking a homemade tonneau cover is next on my list.

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar IMG_1847
Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar IMG_1848
Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar IMG_1829
Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar IMG_1834

Moxie

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vw Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nicely done !!!!!

Sponsored

fordtruck76_390

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 F250 4x4 Highboy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Awesome! I’m going to try this when I get a chance to remove the rear cap (might not be until spring), but I can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for doing a write up!

406g

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool! How secure are the panels if this crossbar is not used? I feel like I’ve seen other 2 doors running just the front panels without any mods and don’t remember hearing anything about them needing additional support

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

this is great! have you driven highway speeds with this set up? i would think it would be no problem

BigMac

Base
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150 and a lot of bikes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great job!. Really surprised there isn't something to do this available commercially (haven't heard of any). Sounds like I will be spending some time in my shop fabricating one!

Sponsored
OP
OP
davidforlife

davidforlife

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool! How secure are the panels if this crossbar is not used? I feel like I’ve seen other 2 doors running just the front panels without any mods and don’t remember hearing anything about them needing additional support
It’s secure but not solid. They’ll flex if you push up on the panels. In short term they’d be fine, but you may start to see some cracks in the panels over time. My ultimate plan is to build a tonneau cover and add a soft “window” to separate the cab from the back seat, so the crossbar will also function as mounting points for the window.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidforlife

davidforlife

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this is great! have you driven highway speeds with this set up? i would think it would be no problem
No problem or additional noise at all, either with the panels on or just the crossbar.

ezapar

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak LUX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drive around with just the front panels on all the time. I've put hundreds of miles on it like that, including lots of off road. I haven't noticed any reason to support them. But your bar looks great.

I've found it stays relatively quiet with very little wind in the cab when set up this way.
Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar IMG_4304

OP
OP
davidforlife

davidforlife

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drive around with just the front panels on all the time. I've put hundreds of miles on it like that, including lots of off road. I haven't noticed any reason to support them. But your bar looks great.

I've found it stays relatively quiet with very little wind in the cab when set up this way.
Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar 20230819_144659
I just drove 1200km with just the front panels on without any issues

Ford Bronco How to get "half cab" look on 2 door Bronco using a DIY crossbar 20230819_144659
But can y’all do pull-ups from your back seat? 😏

Sounds like the panels do just fine without the crossbar 👍🏼 Great looking broncos by the way.
Sponsored