First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond, 1923 Model T Racer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It could be "learning and timing" of the gas pedal- when to release the throttle as you push in the clutch. Some vehicles even have a built in "rev hang" to when you release the throttle it "hangs" before it lets off. I am not sure if the Bronco has this but it's terrible- at least I think so. I have not driven a Bronco manual but have driven and owned so many cars and trucks with manuals. I have to "learn" each one and they are all different. Some are more tricky than others. It could be a defect too, I had one bad manual in one of my TJ Wranglers that clunked so badly when you took your foot off of the gas. But all of my other ones have been good and it was a matter of me learning them.
Yeah there is a slight hang it seems that bothers tf out of me. And you can’t just “blip” throttle cause of the lag. You try and it literally won’t change RPMs much so you end up having to hold it longer it’s a weird feeling IMO. 6th is only used at 70mph+, 5th for up to 65-70 if I remember correctly. I’ll try to video me driving so show how I drive it. Maybe I’m a retard lol
Also, am I alone that the digital tach is so annoying I wish the physical speedometer was a tach
Sponsored

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm just over 2,500 miles and I haven't noticed any strange noises during shifting. The only quibble I have is that the 4-5 shift is not as smooth as the 2-3 shift. Maybe it's the longish throw? Either way, I'm a big engine braking guy, and downshifting has been pretty much flawless.
Yeah downshifting is no issues or noises for me. Also doesn’t make noises past 3. Oddly enough it seems to only be doing it after it’s warm. But that could just be me looking for causes idk.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah there is a slight hang it seems that bothers tf out of me. And you can’t just “blip” throttle cause of the lag. You try and it literally won’t change RPMs much so you end up having to hold it longer it’s a weird feeling IMO. 6th is only used at 70mph+, 5th for up to 65-70 if I remember correctly. I’ll try to video me driving so show how I drive it. Maybe I’m a retard lol
Also, am I alone that the digital tach is so annoying I wish the physical speedometer was a tach
Yeah the digital tach is just OK- and that's with an automatic. Driving manuals for 50 plus years I would not find the tach very good in a manual.

I wish I could provide advice and tips in person for driving manuals. (And troubleshooting problems too to determine if it is a problem with the manual) with all of my experience. It's nearly impossible to do not in person and in the vehicle. I taught my kids to drive manuals even before they drive an automatic. Their first cars were manuals- now they both have automatics. But they can both hop in any manual and drive it, easily.

BTW, for comparison, the best manual transmissions I have ever shifted were in Mazda Miatas and Honda Civic SI's. For trucks and SUV's the best one was the AX-15 5 speed in my 97 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 six. The clunkiest was in my later Wrangler- 2003 or 2004, I think. It was so clunky it was replaced under warranty. The second one was better and acceptable but still not that good. My 1981 F150 4 speed manual with granny gear was also really clunky- so much slop. I am not sure if that one was sloppy in the tranny or transfer case. Never solved despite multiple trips to the dealer. I learned to live with it.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly I have no idea, I've never paid attention to the tach on that shift. I just go by feel. If I had to guess I doubt I'm going much beyond 2500 usually. I'll watch next time and report back.
Looks like my range is indeed 2500-3000 depending on situation. I tracked my entire drive home and all 1>2 shifts fell in that window, with the majority around 2700-2800.

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks like my range is indeed 2500-3000 depending on situation. I tracked my entire drive home and all 1>2 shifts fell in that window, with the majority around 2700-2800.
That’s what I do as well.

I’ve tried all the advice; the noise persists, however I’m able to get it to almost just 1 -> 2. One thing I’ve noticed, is my second gear starts at 1600rpm or so, so if I do what manual says and shift that 3k in 1st, that’s why it’s jerking so bad cause the rev hang. I’ve found that Ihave to shift at 2200 or so in order to get a smooth shift. 2 -> 3 and on isn’t like this. I also got some bad shudder today in 2nd. I’m so aggravated with the dealer and How FoMoCo seemingly not know how to diagnose it. Talking with tech I just don’t understand why there’s no inspection panel like on all old manual transmissions so that you can remove and look at clutch etc; you HAVE to pull entire trans to even look. Just crazy imo. Guess that’s because they don’t want you doing your own work. My contact at Ford is supposed to bring my concerns to dealer today for a follow up, but talking with dealer yesterday they don’t know what to do because Ford is just “lol idk”. Fingers crossed they come up with solution. If it was just me in the vehicle 90% of the time I’d say let it go until it breaks; but I can’t have that mentality with 2 small kids 🥺

Sponsored
OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, many of us have the same noise. There are a couple different threads on here about what has been done at other dealers.
Only seen one or two others; do you have links? I can’t seem to find anything that was definitive other than people having transmissions replaced.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only seen one or two others; do you have links? I can’t seem to find anything that was definitive other than people having transmissions replaced.
That seems to be what the dealers are mostly doing. I’m traveling full time and starting to notice mine is making more noise constantly. Scheduled to be back home in November

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Finally got video. @Ford Motor Company just in case dealer says it’s normal lol the noise starts as soon as clutch disengages aka pedal is pushed in: (trying to cut down video to fit is hard)

Honestly that sounds more like your timing is off. You are clutching in while you are still on the throttle, and lifting too late. That's not an uncommon noise in any vehicle when your timing is off. I have noticed that there is not enough feedback from either pedal when wearing a heavy shoe/boot, I love the manual but it is missing the "feel" that my other manuals in the driveway have.

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly that sounds more like your timing is off. You are clutching in while you are still on the throttle, and lifting too late. That's not an uncommon noise in any vehicle when your timing is off. I have noticed that there is not enough feedback from either pedal when wearing a heavy shoe/boot, I love the manual but it is missing the "feel" that my other manuals in the driveway have.
I’ve changed my timing, perhaps I’m just used to old cars lol. I release throttle a good bit before I push clutch in now, and I’ve eliminated it in 2-3 but unless I shift 1st at 2200 or 2400 or so, it does it no matter what. It definitely makes quick acceleration difficult 🥺

I talked with Ford, since only way to look is to pull transmission, I think ima just gonna let it ride. They said even if I go past my warranty then have a failure where I need a new transmission; since this is early and it’s been recorded etc, it will be a persistent issue, and won’t be charged. Now whether that’s true I guess time will tell.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm at 8k miles and my MT remains smooth and quiet...no noises or clunks.

Don't get me started on the tach. Biggest failure in this vehicle. It was an opportunity for a big win to build in digital versions of old school analog sweep gauges and we got horrid Tesla/Nintendo-inspired techno garbage. FAIL!!!!

Driver Experience Design Team.....
Ford Bronco I need some 7MT owners to lend me their thoughts giphy

Sponsored

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford wanted a digital tach, they could have gone 80's retro and at least copied the one from the C4 Corvette.
FORD SHOULD HAVE COPIED CHEVY (Corvette)???? Yeah, like that would ever happen. I do agree that they should have made it a digital sweep gage.

First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve been dealing with a transmission noise since I got my Bronco. I’ll take a video again today, but to say it’s only when you push clutch in your hear a clunk and sometimes some rattling.

@Ford Motor Company reached out and got me a case, but after 2 days of diagnosing at my dealer, FoMoCo hotline told them to compare to vehicle in kind….which sucks cause there’s no other 7MT broncos around here. SO, they say oh it’s prolly normal which is ridiculous imo. I communicated this to my contact for my case and is supposed to be following up.

But that being said, perhaps a few 7MT owners could post and let me know if they hear anything. If no one does maybe I can show the dealership some videos so they can further diagnose.
I can even compare the video I post to theirs. If it’s normal that’s fine but telling me “you have a warranty so if it breaks you’re covered” doesn’t really give me warm feelings when I have 2 kids to worry about if I break down lol.

Hey.

I have this exact same problem in my 7MT. Have you figured out what is making the clunk?

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey.

I have this exact same problem in my 7MT. Have you figured out what is making the clunk?
Not at all. Ford is still trying to find another 7MT to compare mine too, but it seems to be getting worse. Send me a PM, I’d like to send your info to my contact with Ford. They saw my post and created a case. It’s been to dealer but they can’t figure it out cause unfortunately you have to pull transmission to inspect anything.

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank God I don't have this issue(knock on wood). Yeah from your video I do not have that problem. 9500 miles. My 3rd gear is a bit different to shift to than the other gears but honestly that's been the same with my other 2 manuals prior to getting the bronco. I would tell the deal to shut up and fix the problem it's not correct. Just because they compared it to another they had around doesn't mean it's right, it could mean something was made wrong in certain build batches and it needs to be fixed.

I've had to get warranty work done myself but it was for the one thing I really really hate in the bronco. The gd electric parking brake. The moment I stepped into one I said this is going to cause problems in the future and it did. Parking brake fault and wouldn't disengage the parking brake. Had a tow truck driver deal with the same issue before with other broncos and fixed it for me right there. Took it to the dealership anyways and had them replace it.

But yeah if this is so noticable that you hear it constantly and it's bothering you, it's not right. I'd go in there and say you need to replace this transmission with a brand new one. This one is not made correctly and that you are not going to settle for them just repairing it. It's a brand new vehicle and it needs to act like one and if they don't , well the word lawyer and get you places sometimes.

Last edited:

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
8700 miles into mine since April and no complaints about the transmission. It is smooth and direct for all shifts. I had a 2013 focus with the old ford MTX-75 5 speed and a 2004 focus with the same MTX-75 after that up until the Bronco and never had any issues with Ford manuals. I hated the 6 speed in my 2015 Jeep Rubicon though. It never shifted well, popped out of 1st occasionally, and the ratios were just bad. But no issues with my Ford transmissions.
Sponsored