Sponsored

I need the help from 2022 Bronco owners - please!

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s noisy but that is expected, only real issue with that is there is no way your doing a phone call over car play for the most part. The mileage does suck. I can’t get to 17 as its rated. Usually 16.4 max no matter where or what, eco mode does nothing to improve that i can tell although it does change how it acts. The tranmission from a dead stop sometimes acts a little funny as in hunting for a gear or something, but once beyond that it shifts super smooth. Those things are really being a bit picky other than that I love the thing.
You have to run 93+ to get rated fuel mileage. I have no issue getting 22mpg on highway and 17-18mpg in city running 93+ and I have the sasquatch badlands with 2.7L
Sponsored

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Help! I need the advice of Bronco 2022 Wildtrak owners. I reserved my Bronco on 7/27/2020 and converted to Order on 1/21/2021. After hearing ZERO from Ford - other than receiving a hammock, flag, and couple of other unhelpful things - when Ford announced that they couldn't give anyone an idea when their order would be built - I decided that I couldn't wait. You should know that I've wanted a Bronco since the early 1970's - but at the age of 73 - decided I couldn't wait forever for the car. Consequently, in early August 2021, I purchased a new Toyota 4-Runner with HDSS - got it ceramic coated, wrapped the front quarter (not in that order) - and have been pleased with the car - no issues. Then - YESTERDAY - I received notice that my Bronco was to be built in mid-June for July delivery! To current owners - please give me your honest good points or 'hits' and the 'misses' - based on your experience and in comparison with any other similar vehicles you have owned. Please - no 'rah-rah' yea Bronco comments - I really want your honest experience and thoughts to date. I will need to make a decision on whether to keep the vehicle I'm pleased with - or to go with the Bronco - with some of the potential issues I've read about in this forum. Please give me your thoughts.
Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I purchased a 22 Toyota 4Runner TRD off-road premium with kdss back in November when my Tacoma began to get a little long in the tooth and I realized I don’t really NEED a pickup. As an auto technician I’ve owned and worked on many Ford’s and Toyota’s and they both have have their own unique qualities.

Ford likes to push the envelope and be on the cutting edge of innovation and performance, whereas Toyota is the opposite. Toyota takes the tried and true approach. The 4Runner is slow, outdated and in need of a refresh. It is also hands down the the most quality and reliable vehicle Toyota makes. My Tacoma was bulletproof and I have zero doubt the 4Runner will be the same.

The off-road premium 4Runner with kdss rides like a Camry on the street and articulates better than a trd pro thanks to the hydraulic sway bar “disconnect”. The interior is nothing to write home about, it feels like the inside of a Lexus from 10 years ago. But it’s quiet, doesn’t rattle and everything just works. The roll down rear window is still awesome.

I took delivery of my base Bronco Sasquatch after waiting almost 2 years. With the current market value of the Bronco, if you can get one at msrp there’s really no reason not to, if it’s not for you it will be an easy sell and you’ll probably walk away with a few grand in your pocket just for the trouble. Knowing this I brought home my Bronco and I have to say I was impressed the moment I drove away from the dealership. The Bronco makes the 4Runner feel like a station wagon. The Bronco moves like a bat outta hell and rides like you’re on a cloud. It’s pretty much impossible to drive the Bronco anywhere without someone asking about it. My 4Runner gets the occasional thumbs up from other yota guys but the Bronco has the sex appeal of an Italian exotic, it’s a major conversation starter if you’re into that.

Comparing the two really is apples to oranges. The 4Runner rides like it’s on rails on the highway, and is very capable off road but thanks to the enormous sway bars the kdss system uses it is bone jarring driving any faster than 12mph off the pavement. The Bronco is quick off the line, has the power to pass and is a beast off road. But the soft off road oriented suspension and 35” tires makes it sway and nose dive under hard braking or sharp turns. Coming to an emergency stop the other day on the freeway in the Bronco required much more user input / control than the 4Runner would have needed, I could only imagine what swerving to miss a deer at 70mph would be like.

The years I’ve spent working as a tech in both Ford and Toyota service departments have taught me that fun cars aren’t designed to last forever and cars that are designed to last forever aren’t that much fun. You have to choose which you prefer. I’m fortunate enough to choose both right now but you can guess which of the two I’ll still own past the expiration of the factory warranty.

If you read my entire opinion here’s a photo for your time.
Ford Bronco I need the help from 2022 Bronco owners - please! A99F50DE-9B95-4547-BFD5-AE00DE271B4C

Pdshepherd

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None. Wife's Kia is my part time wheels
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You have to run 93+ to get rated fuel mileage. I have no issue getting 22mpg on highway and 17-18mpg in city running 93+ and I have the sasquatch badlands with 2.7L
👍🏼 Gonna have to wait if it ever comes down. I can’t believe the price of gas right now.

OP
OP

Greylyn

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can completely empathize with the build delay. I reserved mine on the second day in 2020. Dealer made some recommendations, and I decided to opt into 2022 orders with some options removed. It ended up being built in Dec 2021 and delivered end of Jan 2022.

I'm a noob when it comes to off-roading on four wheels. However, my Bronco has taking me places. Wind noise on the hard top is noticeable at speeds over 60 MPH. Acceleration in the 2 door is almost too much. It wants to rip the asphalt up. I just added a Bestop Sunrider. This actually solved the noise issue at speeds over 60 MPH. Cross wind will still make it snap, but best purchase ever. I plan on adding either a Rock Slide Engineering or Amp Research power steps. I'm right at six foot, but getting in and out can get old, or maybe that is just me. Otherwise, driving on road at speed is effortless. I run 93, and it just seems to respond better. Transmission shifts smoothly in 2H. While in 4L, I do not get much past 10 MPH. I have tried Baja mode once, but it just wanted to rip up the trail. Since I use public lands most of the time, I do not want to tear up nature or risk running into someone.

I have posted a few videos of trail runs on my youtube channel. While they aren't more than level 4 trails at more than a couple spots, it should give you some ideas about what it can do. Once when I was bottomed out in ruts, front lockers saved me. Hindsight being 20-20, if I knew the Everglades was going to be produced, I would have gone that route. Even North Florida has some deep water holes. There has been many occasions that I just had to turn around instead of risking it.

Overall, I'm happy with my WildTrak 2 door. It needs a snorkel, but until then, I'll just have to be smart about it. All that said, each person and use case is going to define pros and cons. So what works for some might not for others and vice versa.
Thank you - that is helpful - and gives me some guidance on the roof - and quality of gas.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They really aren't super comparable vehicles. Yes they are both SUVs and have 4 wheel drive with ifs but so does a Jeep Compass or a Ford Escape. The fact is a 4Runner is a lot more comparable to a Ford Explorer or Honda Passport than it is with a Bronco.

Do you want an open air driving experience? Do you want full aftermarket support (replaceable bumpers, ect...)? Do you want 35" tires?

The real question is what are your priorities and only you can answer that question.

OP
OP

Greylyn

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I find it odd that your backup plan was a 4-Runner, as they are two completely different vehicles that serve two completely different purposes? With that said, they also drive completely different. If you haven't driven a Bronco yet I suggest doing that ASAP, the answer you seek (cue Yoda) will be obvious to you, whichever direction you choose. Good luck!
I'd had a Jeep Wrangler - 2-door - before ----- and it had a bundle of driving and reliability issues. I had purchased it used - and - I attribute a number of the issues to my lousy purchasing decision. I had been attracted to owning a 'Jeep' - and had NOT done enough research on the issues to watch out for. I should add - this was when you tended to rely on word-of-mouth and the annual edition of Consumer's Reports for information about used vehicles. Thanks for the comments.

OP
OP

Greylyn

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s noisy but that is expected, only real issue with that is there is no way your doing a phone call over car play for the most part. The mileage does suck. I can’t get to 17 as its rated. Usually 16.4 max no matter where or what, eco mode does nothing to improve that i can tell although it does change how it acts. The tranmission from a dead stop sometimes acts a little funny as in hunting for a gear or something, but once beyond that it shifts super smooth. Those things are really being a bit picky other than that I love the thing.
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the 'heads-up' on ACTUAL experience with gas mileage - which will likely be about what my 4-Runner gets. The 4-Runner has a lumbering 6-cylinder engine - and I'm hoping that the Wildtrak with the 2.7L - and 10-speed transmission will have more 'zip'.

OP
OP

Greylyn

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I purchased a 22 Toyota 4Runner TRD off-road premium with kdss back in November when my Tacoma began to get a little long in the tooth and I realized I don’t really NEED a pickup. As an auto technician I’ve owned and worked on many Ford’s and Toyota’s and they both have have their own unique qualities.

Ford likes to push the envelope and be on the cutting edge of innovation and performance, whereas Toyota is the opposite. Toyota takes the tried and true approach. The 4Runner is slow, outdated and in need of a refresh. It is also hands down the the most quality and reliable vehicle Toyota makes. My Tacoma was bulletproof and I have zero doubt the 4Runner will be the same.

The off-road premium 4Runner with kdss rides like a Camry on the street and articulates better than a trd pro thanks to the hydraulic sway bar “disconnect”. The interior is nothing to write home about, it feels like the inside of a Lexus from 10 years ago. But it’s quiet, doesn’t rattle and everything just works. The roll down rear window is still awesome.

I took delivery of my base Bronco Sasquatch after waiting almost 2 years. With the current market value of the Bronco, if you can get one at msrp there’s really no reason not to, if it’s not for you it will be an easy sell and you’ll probably walk away with a few grand in your pocket just for the trouble. Knowing this I brought home my Bronco and I have to say I was impressed the moment I drove away from the dealership. The Bronco makes the 4Runner feel like a station wagon. The Bronco moves like a bat outta hell and rides like you’re on a cloud. It’s pretty much impossible to drive the Bronco anywhere without someone asking about it. My 4Runner gets the occasional thumbs up from other yota guys but the Bronco has the sex appeal of an Italian exotic, it’s a major conversation starter if you’re into that.

Comparing the two really is apples to oranges. The 4Runner rides like it’s on rails on the highway, and is very capable off road but thanks to the enormous sway bars the kdss system uses it is bone jarring driving any faster than 12mph off the pavement. The Bronco is quick off the line, has the power to pass and is a beast off road. But the soft off road oriented suspension and 35” tires makes it sway and nose dive under hard braking or sharp turns. Coming to an emergency stop the other day on the freeway in the Bronco required much more user input / control than the 4Runner would have needed, I could only imagine what swerving to miss a deer at 70mph would be like.

The years I’ve spent working as a tech in both Ford and Toyota service departments have taught me that fun cars aren’t designed to last forever and cars that are designed to last forever aren’t that much fun. You have to choose which you prefer. I’m fortunate enough to choose both right now but you can guess which of the two I’ll still own past the expiration of the factory warranty.

If you read my entire opinion here’s a photo for your time.
Ford Bronco I need the help from 2022 Bronco owners - please! A99F50DE-9B95-4547-BFD5-AE00DE271B4C
Thank you, thank you, thank you - as you are in my exact position. I'm 'old school' - meaning that I've always wanted a dependable vehicle that will 'last'. Having said that - I'll be 75 in a few months - and pretty much any vehicle that I have - whether the Bronco or the 4-Runnder - will likely outlast me. I am NOT a hard core offroad addict - BUT - my wife and i have NEVER been afraid of taking whatever vehicle we are in - up an interesting looking logging road 0r unused side road when were visiting an area. From what you've said - I'm thinking that I will likely hold both vehicles for long enough to figure out which I want to stay with. In either case, the vehicle I keep will not be driven heavily for day-to-day stuff - but WILL likely be the one we take to the mountains or the beach. Again - I truly appreciate your comments.

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you test driven a Bronco yet? I ask because I was very seriously shopping for an SUV, and had test driven basically everything and wasnt impressed by anything. I was looking for something that made me smile when I got into it. I was going to be spending 50k on a vehicle, and I did not want to settle. I ended up getting frustrated with the car shopping process and gave up. Then I saw a Bronco on a Ford lot and asked to drive it. I could not stop smiling driving down the road in it, and couldn't stop looking at it. I ordered one right then and there.
I have to mention- the Bronco isnt the most practical choice for me (A full time Realtor, and it will also be my mom-mobile when the time comes) but the joy it brings is worth it enough. Lifes too short.
I would suggest test driving one and seeing how you feel about it

Sponsored

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would recommend downloading the Turo app and finding a Bronco you can rent for a few days. It likely won’t be a wildtrak but it’d give you a better idea than a 15 minute test drive with some sales guy sitting over your shoulder.

I rented one off Turo for three days on a vacation in Florida and had my mind made up after. I’m going to use this app to do long test drives on cars going forward.

Another poster said if you can afford both for a period of time try to do that. You can likely make money off selling one of them and at worst only lose a little bit (at least currently).

If you’ve dreamed about owning a Bronco and the one that you chose every detail of is going to be built I’d say you’ll probably regret not at least owning it for a little bit.

Good luck! Don’t overthink it. Have fun with whatever you choose.

OP
OP

Greylyn

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you’re gonna off road it, I would get the wildtrack. It’s the most capable vehicle “out of the box” that I’ve ever driven. If not, keep the Toyota.
That - is my dilemma. I will likely drive it off road - some - not hard core rock crawling --- but places where cars generally can't go - and trucks or SUVs definitely need clearance and 4-wheel drive. My wife has an all wheel drive Pilot - which tends to be our 'drive around town' driving any distance car. I, however, have the car that needs to give us the capacity to have more 'fun' - and to go places that we wouldn't trust her Pilot to go - safely. We've taken the 4-Runner - and - so far - it has managed deep ruts, fairly nasty logging roads, 1'-2' creek crossings (although getting across as quickly as possible) - but - I purchased the 4-Runner because i was absolutely pissed and frustrated with Ford and it's inability to even give me an idea as to when my vehicle might be built. So - I put myself in this situation. Having said that, though, the 4-Runner has been fun while we've owned it - and we've had Zero mechanical problems with it. I've always had some concerns with buying a newly-released vehicle; however, if there is any advantage in the delay between ordering and now - its that Ford had, hopefully, addressed and resolved the major issues that appeared after release of the 2021 Broncos. We'll see, however. Thanks for you comments.

OP
OP

Greylyn

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would recommend downloading the Turo app and finding a Bronco you can rent for a few days. It likely won’t be a wildtrak but it’d give you a better idea than a 15 minute test drive with some sales guy sitting over your shoulder.

I rented one off Turo for three days on a vacation in Florida and had my mind made up after. I’m going to use this app to do long test drives on cars going forward.

Another poster said if you can afford both for a period of time try to do that. You can likely make money off selling one of them and at worst only lose a little bit (at least currently).

If you’ve dreamed about owning a Bronco and the one that you chose every detail of is going to be built I’d say you’ll probably regret not at least owning it for a little bit.

Good luck! Don’t overthink it. Have fun with whatever you choose.
I think that you have EXACTLY described my current position. I have, in fact, wanted a Bronco since Version One vehicles in the early-early 70's. Of course, I was also interested in the International Harvester Scout - which had a similar look to the early Broncos. I am, in fact, in the enviable position of being able to own both vehicles for a while - and - pretty much plan on doing that. Fortunately, that was my wife's suggestion - as she had not known how much I had coveted an 'old style' Bronco for as long as I have. (I had no desire to own an OJ Simpson version). Her comment was - 'It's your money - and you've wanted this car for almost 50 years. If you don't get it, you will regret it.' I think that's pretty good advice.

I really appreciate the responses and comments that the folks on this Board have made - and, obviously, have learned a good deal about the 'real' experiences that people have had once purchasing and enjoying their choices.

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

👍🏼 Gonna have to wait if it ever comes down. I can’t believe the price of gas right now.
I run premium regardless…. Also it burns cleaner and it’s better for long term engine care/maintenance.

No different then buying milk, it is what it is.

OP
OP

Greylyn

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you test driven a Bronco yet? I ask because I was very seriously shopping for an SUV, and had test driven basically everything and wasnt impressed by anything. I was looking for something that made me smile when I got into it. I was going to be spending 50k on a vehicle, and I did not want to settle. I ended up getting frustrated with the car shopping process and gave up. Then I saw a Bronco on a Ford lot and asked to drive it. I could not stop smiling driving down the road in it, and couldn't stop looking at it. I ordered one right then and there.
I have to mention- the Bronco isnt the most practical choice for me (A full time Realtor, and it will also be my mom-mobile when the time comes) but the joy it brings is worth it enough. Lifes too short.
I would suggest test driving one and seeing how you feel about it
That's what I intend to do. I have one on order - but can decline to purchase it if I don't want the vehicle. Given demand - the dealership would probably be thrilled as they could then mark it up.
Sponsored