First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250, 3 Mustangs, 2018 Audi, annnnd a Buick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Be careful on the Lifetime warranty. A lot of those require RIDICULOUS maintenance that MUST be performed by that dealership in order for the warranty to remain in effect. You may want to read up on it before canceling the sure thing.
I was thinking the same thing, so far as I read it they do not require maintenance to be done by their dealership. Im going to read a few more times to see if I can find something.
Sponsored

jubangas

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because market risk matters that's why. And you said a "Savings" account earlier, but now are talking about the S&P.

In that case, I'll add risk never gets a seat at the table in these conversations where people think they understand TMV. Rather, it's just glossed over with these double digit returns in equites over last decade. What about decade before that? Did you know the S&P lost 13% intraday at one point March 12, 2020? Ended up down 9.2% at close. That's a years entire return on average. Worst day since 1987.

You're doing it wrong if your investing emergency transmission repair funds(or the roof for that matter) in the S&P 500. Now you've given her and others reading they should plow their money for a rainy day into risk-based assets. Tranny blows (or roof leaks) and now you need the funds asap, but worth a fraction of what you need due to poor choices and bad timing.
You're baldly ignoring what I said and taking it out of context. How about this, put it into a Series I Savings Bond. Returns are at around 7%, and will increase to about 9% here shortly (we know this because it is tied to inflation figures already reported). Can be canceled after 12 months for a 3-month interest penalty if the return drops. Leaving you, after 12 months, a 6% gain guaranteed. There are many different vehicles, with different risks, that a person can invest in if they don't want it sitting in a bank. But it all comes down to something you ignore time and time again, the profit margin on these extended vehicle warranties is 79%. Meaning that for every $1,000 of warranty a dealer sells, they ultimately make $790 in profit. Those profit margins are insane, and exist because the product is not, as a whole, a benefit to the consumer in the uber-majority of cases.

I don't really care what people do, but it's disingenuous at best, and a lie at worst, to tell people that an extended warranty will be a good investment when, 79% of the time, it will be a net loser for the consumer.

Plala

Big Bend
First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes highway robbery - cancel and remember you can ALWAYS buy an extended warranty before manufacturers warranty runs out or even after it runs out!!

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Cancel it. Zack and his team are offering 50$ over cost for members of this forum. 1700 for 8yr 100 k premium 50 deductible.
That's the quote I got for a $200 ded. Wonder if Granger increased their prices already.

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You're baldly ignoring what I said and taking it out of context. How about this, put it into a Series I Savings Bond. Returns are at around 7%, and will increase to about 9% here shortly (we know this because it is tied to inflation figures already reported). Can be canceled after 12 months for a 3-month interest penalty if the return drops. Leaving you, after 12 months, a 6% gain guaranteed. There are many different vehicles, with different risks, that a person can invest in if they don't want it sitting in a bank. But it all comes down to something you ignore time and time again, the profit margin on these extended vehicle warranties is 79%. Meaning that for every $1,000 of warranty a dealer sells, they ultimately make $790 in profit. Those profit margins are insane, and exist because the product is not, as a whole, a benefit to the consumer in the uber-majority of cases.

I don't really care what people do, but it's disingenuous at best, and a lie at worst, to tell people that an extended warranty will be a good investment when, 79% of the time, it will be a net loser for the consumer.
I'm done here. You've changed the asset class three times now. Adios!

Squatch2022?

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it a Ford plan? If so, the instructions for cancelling it are on the ESP website. If it was financed, the credit goes back to your lender as a reduction in principal. Otherwise, Ford will cut you a check for it... think it took 60 days.
I've cancelled a warranty in the past and you just cancel it and whatever you paid for it they send the money directly to your loan provider if you financed typically

Broncogoat

Badlands
First Name
lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Trac, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

8 years/125k miles - not sure about deductible. man i feel like an idiot. I can just call and cancel? I wonder how would that work since they put it into my loan. I'll have to ask.
They charged and extra 500 because dealers supposedly don't make anything on the ford extended warranty least that's the story they told me. I wanted the warranty as it's a first model year and there are going to be tons of issues. Just got back from the off-roadeo in Vegas and 2 of the 7 broncos in my group broke down. I bet replacement of the 12" screen along would cover the cost of the warranty. I would have been better of to buy the warranty after the purchase though. I would do what other suggest and cancel then buy direct from Ford and save 500. This is the first time I've ever bought and extended warranty with all the electronics you will probably wish you had the warranty if you don't get. I have already had to have the complete stay bar disconnect replaced on my Bronco and it's never seen the dirt, but of course is still under the regular warranty and will be for many years, but once standard warranty is gone it's good to know I'm still covered for a few extra years. If you don't plan to have the Bronco past the life of the standard warranty don't buy the extended.

jubangas

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm done here. You've changed the asset class three times now. Adios!
Walking away is the smart move here for you. Especially as that's the entire point of my post - that there's many different risk and investment options, all of which perform better than a warranty for nearly all car purchasers.

What's obvious to me is you're stepping away because you realized that I understand finances much better than you thought. And you cannot refute the 79% profit on the warranties. Seriously, you don't address that at all.

I hope you enjoy your Bronco, and if you ever want financial advice in the future, let me know. I'm sure I can help you.

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As a Ford Warranty administrator, I can tell you.....I've seen ESP save customers THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in repairs. Given the state and quality of some of the stuff Ford is rolling out, I would definitely second guess canceling it.
Well, that's not fair. You don't have people calling you telling you that all is well. All you know are those experiences with people that need the warranty. I'm not arguing getting a warranty, but it's not as dire as you make it out to be.

Sponsored

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am purchasing a Bronco this Saturday and been going back and forth on buying Granger's ESP.

My take is: I've never purchased a warranty before in all the cars I've owned. However, It's a "Covid Quality" rollout on a new model. With the discounted warranty through granger it just maybe worth it. I've run my own cost/benefit analysis and it came out $150 cheaper not to go with the discounted warranty.

So you got to ask yourself: Do you feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A conversation as old as time. Extended warranties and pet insurance.

Everyone's risk tolerance is different and nothing is a 'ripoff'. Of course they hope you never have to use it, but those that do come out ahead.

I always buy it and the last vehicle I didn't get my moneys worth out of it was my 2011 Merc B250. Darn thing was rock solid.

05 Cobalt blew a steering rack at speed and essentially grenaded its own front end
09 328i hardtop convertible developed roof gremlins to the tune of 5+k.
03 S55 (certified preowned) AMG blew a supercharger and racked up almost $9k of bills

I always buy the warranty (and did on my Bronco) as I have always used it cause my luck is total ass

Last edited:

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Cancel it. Zack and his team are offering 50$ over cost for members of this forum. 1700 for 8yr 100 k premium 50 deductible.
I was just quoted $1950 for 8yrs/100k with $100. How do you rate?

Last edited:

Bender

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

the profit rates on these warranties are 79%
It'd be interesting to see more data on this, as some third parties sell warranties that require $200-$400/month for years, which amounts to over $10,000 in payments and would yield a profit margin of several hundred percent.

My local dealer wanted to sell me a Ford ESP plan for the Bronco at a price that would have yielded them 119% profit. With a straight face. Granger is selling Ford ESP at a price that equates to just under 3%. For Ford ESPs, there's also some profit for Ford, although that will also vary considerably by model, year, and trim. For example the ESP profit on a base model 2022 F-150 will likely be higher than that on first year Bronco Lux Sas Wildtrack.

Ultimately, it'd be nice if everyone could see a price for a particular ESP coverage and decide whether they're better off without it or socking away the equivalent in a rainy day account or buying it for peace of mind.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s probably at least double what the most expensive plan costs.

and don’t forget, if you lift, put big tires, or otherwise offroad it, a good chunk of your equipment likely won’t be covered when it comes time to fix (yes even with magnusson-moss)

nonetheless, the chances of you making your money back from an ESP is pretty high on a Ford, especially a first year one ;)
Sponsored