Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Catastrophic loss would be a lawsuit judgment against you for not having auto liability insurance post accident, not a transmission replacement.

It’s a conundrum. The people that can afford to self insure on auto repairs don’t need it. But the people that buy an extended warranty shouldn’t. It’s rubbing salt in the wound by adding extra cost to a car they probably can’t afford. Nobody “needs” a Bronco. To top it off most folks end up rolling one into the finance package. Ahhhh!

Again the odds are it won’t be beneficial for you. I like having the odds in my favor.
That’s my “peace of mind”.
To each his own. Just trying to help.
Totally understand. This is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty. I was on the fence. But $900 for 5 years of additional protection against major engine and/or electronic issues seemed like a decent investment. Hard to imagine I won't have any significant claims in years 4-8, but I'll acknowledge Ford wins more than it loses; if it didn't, it wouldn't sell them.
Sponsored

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don't forget that part of the reason why Ford comes ahead in this is because they have a significant discount on the parts. When they replace an engine they pay less for the repair out of pocket then you would.

Broncogirl16

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Totally understand. This is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty. I was on the fence. But $900 for 5 years of additional protection against major engine and/or electronic issues seemed like a decent investment. Hard to imagine I won't have any significant claims in years 4-8, but I'll acknowledge Ford wins more than it loses; if it didn't, it wouldn't sell them.
Who did you buy your extended warranty with? Did you do it with Ford? thanks!

Reactions: Zus

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Alrighty then. Thank you so much. I will look into that when my truck is close to making its way to the dealership.
Check Zeigler, and Flood Ford both before you buy. Prices change quickly, and one may be cheaper than the other on any given day. I've bought from Flood in the past, and it was a smooth, easy transaction.

OP
OP
Zus

Zus

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 & 22 Bronco, 17 F150, 12 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Check Zeigler, and Flood Ford both before you buy. Prices change quickly, and one may be cheaper than the other on any given day. I've bought from Flood in the past, and it was a smooth, easy transaction.
I appreciate all the help. I will have to discuss with my dealership to see what's more advantageous for us in the end. I don't have much hope for them as of right now. That's why I was reaching out to you guys. Thanks again!

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I appreciate all the help. I will have to discuss with my dealership to see what's more advantageous for us in the end. I don't have much hope for them as of right now. That's why I was reaching out to you guys. Thanks again!
I understand Matt. Remember, the Flood, and Zeigler warranties are the same one your dealer will sell you. Except your dealer will probably want 1K more. If nothing else, get the price from one of these folks, and ask your dealer if he can match the price.

Duke.Roughneck

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Catastrophic loss would be a lawsuit judgment against you for not having auto liability insurance post accident, not a transmission replacement.

It’s a conundrum. The people that can afford to self insure on auto repairs don’t need it. But the people that buy an extended warranty shouldn’t. It’s rubbing salt in the wound by adding extra cost to a car they probably can’t afford. Nobody “needs” a Bronco. To top it off most folks end up rolling one into the finance package. Ahhhh!

Again the odds are it won’t be beneficial for you. I like having the odds in my favor.
That’s my “peace of mind”.
To each his own. Just trying to help.
I think there are levels of catastrophe when talking money. I just spent $5K to replace the turbos in my 6 year old Explorer. Extended warranty would have been nice to have at that point. I think there are many out there that would consider $5k close to catastrophic for an unbudgeted expense.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think there are levels of catastrophe when talking money. I just spent $5K to replace the turbos in my 6 year old Explorer. Extended warranty would have been nice to have at that point. I think there are many out there that would consider $5k close to catastrophic for an unbudgeted expense.
A person has to remember that theses warranties cost a lot. You may be buying and financing a partial catastrophe with no guarantee of ever using it. Most people don’t.

How Much Does A Ford Extended Warranty Cost?
There is no clear-cut answer to this question, but we do see an average in the industry. Based on our research, an extended warranty can cost anywhere between $1,600 and $4,500 for three to six years of coverage. The average is about $2,862.

While there isn’t a universal pricing table that the manufacturer or third-party companies follow, it’s easy to know what the prices are based on. The following factors affect the cost of an extended warranty:

• Condition of your vehicle: The older your vehicle and the higher the mileage, the more you can expect to pay.
  • Coverage type: If you choose comprehensive coverage, you will pay more than you would with just a powertrain warranty.
  • Deductible: The higher your deductible, the lower your premium will be. Just remember that you will need to pay that deductible any time you have warranty work performed.
  • Vehicle type: If you drive a luxury model or sports car, you will pay more for your warranty because the parts for your vehicle cost more.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got my Bronco on Friday, and I was prepared to get the Flood/Esp.....before picking up my vehicle I called Geico for my insurance, and they sold me on their extended warranty which costs me $11 per month.

It's 7 years/100k bumper to bumper, and I have a $50 deductible on things like a windshield chip (which the Bronco is prone to have).

It supposedly covers things that Ford will not cover, such as a denial on something because you did an aftermarket mod.....

I've always been a "no" to any extended warranty but this seemed to make sense to me. If I go the full 7 years that's $900 for the coverage. Hell, one windshield chip and it's nearly paid for. I still have 25 days or so to change my mind and get the Flood. If I was so inclined.

Sponsored

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Mustang,'08 Honda Civic,'03 15hh QH Paint mare
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got my Bronco on Friday, and I was prepared to get the Flood/Esp.....before picking up my vehicle I called Geico for my insurance, and they sold me on their extended warranty which costs me $11 per month.

It's 7 years/100k bumper to bumper, and I have a $50 deductible on things like a windshield chip (which the Bronco is prone to have).

It supposedly covers things that Ford will not cover, such as a denial on something because you did an aftermarket mod.....

I've always been a "no" to any extended warranty but this seemed to make sense to me. If I go the full 7 years that's $900 for the coverage. Hell, one windshield chip and it's nearly paid for. I still have 25 days or so to change my mind and get the Flood. If I was so inclined.
Who does Geico authorize to do the work (Ford dealers vs. non-Ford In-network providers?) and what quality of parts do they use (OEM vs generic)?

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Who does Geico authorize to do the work (Ford dealers vs. non-Ford In-network providers?) and what quality of parts do they use (OEM vs generic)?
So I was told on the phone they authorize Ford dealerships or independent and they use OEM parts when available.

umpire19

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No not at all. BTC is speculation. Extended warranties have historically been proven to be a poor decision. Again, they don’t write them to lose money. Insurance companies never do.

Fear sells…
I have bought 2 of them in the past 1200$ used it 1 time for a starter. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY 1. WASTE OF MONEY. Just bought my wife a 22 escape titanium. No extended warranty. I did some research only 15 percent of people that buy an extended warranty use them.85% chance you won't need it. Save your money. If you think you might want it,save 25$ a week for 3 yrs. That's approximately 3600$ you could use that if needed. If not nice little savings. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Mustang,'08 Honda Civic,'03 15hh QH Paint mare
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I was told on the phone they authorize Ford dealerships or independent and they use OEM parts when available.
Hmmm. I just did a couple of minutes of research and found that Geico doesn't exactly offer an extended warranty--it's called MBI, mechanical breakdown insurance. There is a $250 deductible and it doesn't cover damage due to an accident. (Presumably Geico car insurance covers that.)

On https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/ it says "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty," so it sounds like it would only kick in after whatever came w/ the truck (in my case 3y/36,000)--might have to go through two companies. Also there are no reviews on Geico's website past 2009.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hmmm. I just did a couple of minutes of research and found that Geico doesn't exactly offer an extended warranty--it's called MBI, mechanical breakdown insurance. There is a $250 deductible and it doesn't cover damage due to an accident. (Presumably Geico car insurance covers that.)

On https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/ it says "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty," so it sounds like it would only kick in after whatever came w/ the truck (in my case 3y/36,000)--might have to go through two companies. Also there are no reviews on Geico's website past 2009.
Yea my standard deductible is $250, I have the $50 for things like the rock chips on glass.
Sponsored