First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not sure what exact components went into your upgrades. About 3 years ago I replaced my front coil-overs and my rear leaf springs and Bilsein shocks all around on my Nissan Xterra. They all had natural rubber bushings and the thing squeaks to this day ......... mainly in the rear. Rubber is supposed to be "self lubricating" so they said not to put any grease on them. If you had polyurethane /synthetic bushings, my understanding is they are supposed to get grease. Wonder if that would quiet things down?

No this is the coilover itself squeaking as it travels, they should not do that. It's like its not lubricating itself as it should be with the oil.
Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a thought, do you have aftermarket uppers? How do the bushings look?

Sruiz

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just installed the icon stage 3 (coilovers without reservoirs and tubular uca's). I am getting some noise from the front coilovers also. This is just 2 weeks after install. I've torqued everything down after a week of use and no change. Everytime I hit a bump or when the weight shifts left or right, I'm hearing a clunk sound. I wish others shared this before dropping $4k on this set up. Had I known, I would have gone another brand.
Still trying to investigate where the sound is coming from. I have the rough country tie rod sleeves and thinking the springs might be hitting them. If that's the case, there's definitely not enough clearance in their design.
Ford Bronco Icon coilovers creaking/squeking PXL_20221007_011542083

Ford Bronco Icon coilovers creaking/squeking PXL_20221006_213805489

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine squeak too. Most noticeably when I’m pulling into a crowded parking lot. They seem to function fine, so I’m not too worried about it. It is pretty loud at times though.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My squeaks are back on my coilovers, unfortunately. At first, it was the rears, now, the fronts are back to squeaking again. Therefore, the grease seemed to only work for a few weeks. I am unsure if I did not apply enough or if there is more than a bad bushing going on with the setup. ICON wants me to send the whole set back in, but I'm hesitant as I won't have anything to use in the meantime.
Hi there. Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I'd be happy to see how I can assist.

Sponsored

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed the icon stage 3 (coilovers without reservoirs and tubular uca's). I am getting some noise from the front coilovers also. This is just 2 weeks after install. I've torqued everything down after a week of use and no change. Everytime I hit a bump or when the weight shifts left or right, I'm hearing a clunk sound. I wish others shared this before dropping $4k on this set up. Had I known, I would have gone another brand.
Still trying to investigate where the sound is coming from. I have the rough country tie rod sleeves and thinking the springs might be hitting them. If that's the case, there's definitely not enough clearance in their design.

You can clearly see the marks where the sleeve is hitting the spring.

I wonder if flipping that lower mount would fix the clearance.

OP
OP

Horton

Outer Banks
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine squeak too. Most noticeably when I’m pulling into a crowded parking lot. They seem to function fine, so I’m not too worried about it. It is pretty loud at times though.
They shouldn't squeak like that though, that's how mine are. I'm 200lbs and they even squeak when i get in and out, it's annoying as hell.

Icon is sending me new ones and told me to install them before sending mine back so i won't be down.

For everyone else, its not a bushing, or anything more. Its the coilover. I can dab grease on the shaft and it goes away for a short time, and that's not a fix nor a solution! Even icon said, oh no, that's not right you don't need to touch them they should not make any noise. So to those greasing theirs, you shouldn't be.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad to hear they are addressing this since I too just dropped the $$$ on Icon's...

JustinZ

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FWIW, I installed the Icon Stage 3 kit on my Bronco myself. I am not having any issues. One thing I remember from the installation is applying anti-seize on the metal spacers that fit into the shock ends. The shock bolt then goes through the spacers and the shock ends if that makes sense. It was in the instructions, but I would imagine you'd get some noise if that wasn't done. I am also running the billet UCAs which have a different bushing setup from the tubular ones.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Horton

Outer Banks
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW, I installed the Icon Stage 3 kit on my Bronco myself. I am not having any issues. One thing I remember from the installation is applying anti-seize on the metal spacers that fit into the shock ends. The shock bolt then goes through the spacers and the shock ends if that makes sense. It was in the instructions, but I would imagine you'd get some noise if that wasn't done. I am also running the billet UCAs which have a different bushing setup from the tubular ones.
I would agree with you except the noise goes away when i apply grease to the shaft just above where it rides into the shock.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They shouldn't squeak like that though, that's how mine are. I'm 200lbs and they even squeak when i get in and out, it's annoying as hell.

Icon is sending me new ones and told me to install them before sending mine back so i won't be down.

For everyone else, its not a bushing, or anything more. Its the coilover. I can dab grease on the shaft and it goes away for a short time, and that's not a fix nor a solution! Even icon said, oh no, that's not right you don't need to touch them they should not make any noise. So to those greasing theirs, you shouldn't be.

Hopefully they figure out what is causing it. It's a little embarrassing when I pull into a parking lot and people look around to see what the noise is, not to look at a cool Bronco. I really like the ride and performance of the Icons, so I hope they get it figured out and the rest of us with the squeak can get ours fixed.

I assume @Dusty at ICON is following this issue as well and will hopefully give feedback to the rest of us in the same situation.

JustinZ

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would agree with you except the noise goes away when i apply grease to the shaft just above where it rides into the shock.
Maybe apples to oranges. I don't have any experience with the poly bushings in the tubular UCAs. That being said, I don't have any positive experiences with poly bushings in other applications either.

OP
OP

Horton

Outer Banks
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe apples to oranges. I don't have any experience with the poly bushings in the tubular UCAs. That being said, I don't have any positive experiences with poly bushings in other applications either.
that… and it’s my rears making all the noise..

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are serious clearance issues that vary between Broncos. You can try rotating the lower mount, but there is a good chance that your swaybar link will hit the spring instead. I wasn't willing to sacrifice turning angle or rip up my tie rod boot, so currently my swaybar links contact the spring near full droop (may be limiting travel).

Icon is aware of the problem. They provided prototype fixes to a few owners about 2 months ago, but the rest of us are still waiting for a "production" fix (replacement stud that centers the shock instead of offsetting forward or rearward). @Dusty at ICON was keeping a list of people needing the fix, but maybe now you just have to complain directly to Icon. I suppose another option is to send them back.
Sponsored