indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I was a kid riding in my parents’ COOL AS SHIT two-door cars such as a Bronco and a CJ-7, it never ONCE crossed my mind “oh, I hate climbing in like this.” What did cross my mind at all times was “Look at those lame sedans and wagons, and look how cool my parents are, and look how I still have a seat.”
Amen.

Ford Bronco In your mind, Bronco compares to what? P1150912_lr600
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually not the car's fault...
This probably isn't true, and it started with the Bronco II.

You're right, Ford did recommend a lower tire pressure for the Explorer, contrary to Firestone's recommended pressure. Ford recommended lowering pressure to increase ride comfort, and to reduce rollover risk. -https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-aug-24-mn-9479-story.html Ford recommended a tire pressure almost 15% lower than the tire manufacturer recommended.

The Ford Bronco II had more than five times more rollover fatalities in 1987 than the Suzuki Samurai. "There were 43 Bronco II rollover fatalities in 1987, compared with eight for the Samurai..."

"...one in 500 Bronco II's ever produced was involved in a fatal rollover."

"Stability problems with Bronco II were noted during the design phase, as well as in the verification tests by 1981." and "For example, the J-turn test was canceled during the testing procedures by Ford officials "out of fear of killing or injuring one of its own drivers." -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Bronco_II

During Explorer stability testing, which Ford included a Bronco II and Chevy S10 as competing products, the Bronco II and Chevy S10 both passed the stability tests each run, whereas the Explorer demonstrated a rollover response in five out of twelve runs. Ford engineers had concerns about rollover stability and proposed four modifications to the vehicle prior to it coming out; however, the most impactful change(s) (widening the track) would have delayed production and were rejected. In addition, one of the constraints, one of the issues relative to stability, was the I-Beam suspension, which changed the center of gravity and track width as the suspension cycled. In subsequent years, Ford lengthened the vehicle and increased the track width and changed the suspension from I-Beam to SLA. Part of the issue appears to have been taking an SUV body and placing it on a truck chassis. Ford took an SUV body and placed it on a Ranger chassis and running gear.

"After the Explorer rolled over in company tests prior to production Ford decided to lower the suspension and remove air from the tires to 26 psi compared to 35 psi for the same tires on the Ranger." and "The Explorer was redesigned for the 2002 model year. The tire pressure was raised to 30 psi, it was widened by 2.5 inches, the suspension was lowered, and independent rear suspension and electronic stability control were added." -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

Ford produced a vehicle that didn't do well in stability/rollover testing when compared to similar vehicles (competitors vehicles), but had a production schedule that wouldn't allow for significant changes once those issues were realized. They brought that vehicle to market and have since paid hundreds of millions to settle claims that substantiate their own test results. After millions of dollars in claims, and tens/hundreds of deaths, they made the changes their own engineers suggested from the beginning, namely track width. Stability testing did not involve any tire separation, and was based on the vehicle, not the tires.

At least that's my educated opinion.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I see a cross between the OG Bronco and the Defender 90. I am a 2dr guy as my kids are getting older and we already have the family car situated (Volvo XC90).

coolnvintage+Land+Rover+Defender+(95+of+98).jpg

052319-1973-Ford-Bronco-1-630x390.jpg

Project-CL-Custom-Land-Rover-Defender-90-Featured-image.jpg

73642875-770-0@2X.jpg
That third steel blue d90 is pure sex.
Makes me wish Ford had that 4 seat rear seating option.
That must be a safety thing now, whiplash to the side now?

Last edited:

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've owned 30+ 91-01 Explorers, all but one 4 door. My first vehicle was a 3"lifted on 31's 96 4 Dr Explorer, I did some crazy stuff with it. It used to 3-wheel around Roundabouts! Never once felt unstable in any of them including running at 125mph. I still have the '97 I took my drivers test in and will keep it forever.

That's part of my love for the new Bronco, it reminds me of the very truck like Explorers I grew up with.

I need space, so a two door never came on my radar. Just doesn't work for me, more power to the people it does work for though.

Brichan

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I look at the 4-door I see a "regular" SUV
With a regular 4 door SUV you can’t remove the top and doors. I don’t consider Wrangler 4 door a regular SUV either. To me it has the practicality and the coolness combined.

Sponsored

Packman

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang Pace Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

4-Door, I’m in love with you. You make ”fun” more fun because family and friends can join me in my off-road adventures. We can even carry stuff with us behind the seats for even more more fun. Like food. Especially food. And perhaps other stuff too. Like drinks. Anyhoo... your 4-Doors look gorgeous to me. Pay no attention to the scorn of the small-crawlers.

Ford Bronco In your mind, Bronco compares to what? FE50BCE0-0B74-4A7C-B3A1-17D08E3053A6

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I look at the two door I see its very limited amount of use. Yes its cool, and I will get one but as a toy not an actual people or goods mover. If your single, don't have kids, or retired the possibilities are greater for the two door option. Regular life needs something more practical to cover more bases. Most folks don't have the luxury money it takes to own the two door. The 4 door will do everything the two door can and way more. There are some negligible areas that the two door will excel at, but be honest, how many will utilize it? Two door definitely has the cool factor by an edge but only a small percentage buy it just for that reason. My 4 door will be what my kids grow up driving and what we take hunting, fishing, and overlanding. When I can afford another two door it will be just for fun.
YES, ...COST!!!
Vehicles cost so much any more, they have to do everything well because few can afford multiple specialized vehicles.
Hence the uproar over the low tow rating....now the buyer needs a tow vehicle also for just about anything you typically tow, like a Bass Boat or ski boat, all but the smallest campers....etc etc.

MillerBuilt

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 3500, Dodge 2500, F150, Mercedez E350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I compare 21 Bronco to Top Gun 2.
1. It’s been rumored forever.
2. They keep saying it’s coming out.
3. It reminds me of my youth.
4. The original was epic!
5. It keeps getting delayed.
6. The trailers/previews are great.....but I get the feeling I might die of old age before it really happens. (And I’m in my 40’s).
7. The music better live up to the LUX package hype!

Sponsored

mattrb87

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I prefer the 4door because of the increased practicality and space, more can be done with it. Just my opinion, but I think you are getting more for your money. Yes it’s probably more of a “family” vehicle than the 2door, but it’s one of the better looking cool family ish SUVs.

I see the 2door as the fun, easy to move spare vehicle that you could tow behind an RV on a road trip and still have a vehicle, not something mammoth, to take somewhere, like the 2door wrangler. A vehicle that could be a hand me down to the kids.

They both have their place and both look great. If I had the money, I would get both. But for now, I’ll just have to settle for the 4door 😋

Last edited:

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I see a Bronco... End of story...

But I guess if you never owned a Bronco, well you wouldn't know. Will it live up to the name? That remains to be seen.
Those of us that have an EB to look at every day can see exactly what Ford was doing. The ridges at either side of the hood, the Base/Black Diamond grill and lights, the proportions of the 2-door...

There is no way I see anything else besides an updated EB.😍

MillerBuilt

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 3500, Dodge 2500, F150, Mercedez E350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I prefer the 4door because of the increased practicality and space, more can be done with it. Just my opinion, but I think you are getting more for your money. Yes it’s probably more of a “family” vehicle than the 2door, but it’s one of the better looking cool family ish SUVs.

I see the 2door as the fun, easy to move spare vehicle that you could tow behind an RV on a road trip and still have a vehicle, not something mammoth, to take somewhere, like the 2door wrangler. A vehicle that could be a hand me down to the kids.

They both have their place and both look great. If I had the money, I would get both. I’ll just have to settle for the 4door right now 😋
Agreed. I’m an over-packer! If it don’t fit in the back.....it goes in the 4 doors.....and the kids can hold it. Or, the buddies! I got BIG friends.....they ain’t jumping in a 2 door back seat!

mattrb87

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Agreed. I’m an over-packer! If it don’t fit in the back.....it goes in the 4 doors.....and the kids can hold it. Or, the buddies! I got BIG friends.....they ain’t jumping in a 2 door back seat!
That’s what I don’t like about 2door vehicles, is having to constantly move the seats for people to get in and out

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco In your mind, Bronco compares to what? oh-umm-nothing-i-wasnt-doing-anythin
Sponsored