Sponsored

What Jeep trim compares with the Black Diamond?

Vooch

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Crosstrek xv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For those that know Wranglers well, what trim of the Jeep compares with the Black Diamond? I know it's not a straight apples to apples thing but what fits best. The Willy's maybe? Thanks.
Sponsored

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those that know Wranglers well, what trim of the Jeep compares with the Black Diamond? I know it's not a straight apples to apples thing but what fits best. The Willy's maybe? Thanks.
Like you said, not apples to apples, but I think Willy’s is probably closest.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d agree. I think BD is optioned a lot better than the Willys, but line to line, BB = Sport/Sport S, BD=Willys, OBX = Sahara, BL = Rubicon, Wildtrak = Rubi Recon.

I think bang for the buck you get more from the BD than you get from the willys (I’m going BD).

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking the same, the Willy's has a rear locker, standard front axle, but the higher ride height of the Rubicon correct? If the BD can take 33" (285/70/17 or 265/75/17) stock (it should), it would be really comparable in my mind.

Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was thinking the same, the Willy's has a rear locker, standard front axle, but the higher ride height of the Rubicon correct? If the BD can take 33" (285/70/17 or 265/75/17) stock (it should), it would be really comparable in my mind.
Unless they changed recently, they didn’t have lockers, stock with 32” tires.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base - Sport
Big Bend - Sport S
Black Diamond - Willys Wheeler
Outer Banks - Sahara
Badlands - Rubicon
Wildtrak - Moab

IMO
I disagree with comparing the WT to a Moab. The WT is marketed as a dune runner and while it is mostly desert, last time I was in Moab, UT it was more rock crawling and serious off roading.

Besides, unless they changed the Moab specs, my 2013 only has a rear locker. It also came with rock rails, winch-capable steel front bumper and a steel rear bumper. Oh, and it also has the "power bulge" hood. I don't think the WT really has a direct Wrangler comparison.

Edit. And if anyone here can find out which Wranglers have what axles and which ones come with front and/or rear lockers, more power to you. I spent a few hours on the Jeep website last week and came up empty. Nothing under each model spec and nothing under the comparison pages.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's interesting, last time I was seriously looking at Jeep was the first year JK, maybe the dealer just ordered his stock that way, but I drove two Willy's and I thought they both had lockers. The jeep site now is not easy to decipher, that's for sure. Makes the BD look that much better. I can't see opting for a mud tire without a rear locker either. Kind of a weird package.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rubi- D44 front & Rear, both locked
Moab/Arctic/ gladiator Mojave- rear lockers only, d30 fronts I believe. Think they all come with d44’s in the back ever since the jk’s.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I disagree with comparing the WT to a Moab. The WT is marketed as a dune runner and while it is mostly desert, last time I was in Moab, UT it was more rock crawling and serious off roading.

Besides, unless they changed the Moab specs, my 2013 only has a rear locker. It also came with rock rails, winch-capable steel front bumper and a steel rear bumper. Oh, and it also has the "power bulge" hood. I don't think the WT really has a direct Wrangler comparison.
JL Moab is basically a Sahara with rock rails, black-painted Rubicon wheels and mud tires. I think it's a perfect comparison. And I know that the WT is marketed as a dune runner, but it's no more of a dune runner than any other trim.

Edit. And if anyone here can find out which Wranglers have what axles and which ones come with front and/or rear lockers, more power to you. I spent a few hours on the Jeep website last week and came up empty. Nothing under each model spec and nothing under the comparison pages.
I haven't looked in a while, and there are a ton of trims now, but I think the Rubicon is the only one with lockers. Is there a Wrangler Mojave yet? That would have a rear locker.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's interesting, last time I was seriously looking at Jeep was the first year JK, maybe the dealer just ordered his stock that way, but I drove two Willy's and I thought they both had lockers. The jeep site now is not easy to decipher, that's for sure. Makes the BD look that much better. I can't see opting for a mud tire without a rear locker either. Kind of a weird package.
I’ve had muds on my last 2(including current) jeeps. I’ve never owned a set of lockers on any of them, still wheeled them on a regular basis without issue. Not exactly weird, more along the lines of not maximizing potential of the tire. Had plans to get the lockers, just never came to be. Still a very functional option though.

OP
OP
Vooch

Vooch

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Crosstrek xv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I really appreciate the responses peeps, fairly new to the off road stuff and willing to learn. This forum and people like you guys are great. ?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just looking briefly it appears the only way to get lockers on a JL/JT is the Rubicon or Mojave. Everything else is limited slip.

Love that about Bronco. For Jeep lockers now are some forbidden fruit that only the chosen jeepers get. Ford? Lockers on E V E R Y T H I N G

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had muds on my last 2(including current) jeeps. I’ve never owned a set of lockers on any of them, still wheeled them on a regular basis without issue. Not exactly weird, more along the lines of not maximizing potential of the tire. Had plans to get the lockers, just never came to be. Still a very functional option though.
I have too, on one of my Broncos and one of my Rangers, when it was rare for anyone to have lockers of limited slip, but didn't buy the tires on the stock truck, I just don't think I would option that way factory. Much easier to change tires than differentials. I had Mud terrains on my LJ and one of my Rangers with both with limited slip and I would say it was a toss up on which helped more, but both the M/T and LS were significantly better than open and M/T. My LJ was so good off road, other than high centering, I don't think I ever got it ever got stuck.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rubi- D44 front & Rear, both locked
Moab/Arctic/ gladiator Mojave- rear lockers only, d30 fronts I believe. Think they all come with d44’s in the back ever since the jk’s.
I am not so sure about Jeep including lockers on any models besides the Rubicon anymore. I know they used too as my JKU has rear lockers. But I cannot find anywhere on their website that says so. If they do, it is a well guarded secret. From their website under the capability section:

Ford Bronco What Jeep trim compares with the Black Diamond? 1607448406912

Ford Bronco What Jeep trim compares with the Black Diamond? 1607448450102

Ford Bronco What Jeep trim compares with the Black Diamond? 1607448472855

The only mention of lockers is on the standard Rubicon system.
Sponsored