MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BL gives you front electronic sway bar, signature headlights and a path to buy other options not available with the Black Diamond.
With a Black Diamond you have a very capable vehicle with the benefits pointed out by GOATS. Add Sasquatch and you get an attractive balance of comfort and rugged off road. The only added protection needed (debatable) is a transmission skid plate and maybe.....perhaps stronger rock rails.
Is there a transmission skid plate and stronger rock rails on the BL?
Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks. Does adding the Advanced 4X4 add the front locker? I can’t tell how you would add it without going SAS. Or if it’s even possible.
No, Advanced transfer case does NOT add the front locker. Just lets the computer engage the front wheels (not locked together) as it sees fit in bad weather, or in Sport Mode to have fun.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Price point, I did not want mid package, Seay bar disconnect or signature lights.

OP
OP
tsquared5

tsquared5

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 90 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, Advanced transfer case does NOT add the front locker. Just lets the computer engage the front wheels (not locked together) as it sees fit in bad weather, or in Sport Mode to have fun.
Got it. Thanks.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is there a transmission skid plate and stronger rock rails on the BL?
No. The transmission pan is exposed on all trim - though it is tucked up. Mabett sold one for the 2.3. The 2.7 has supporting cross-members that can be removed to fit the skid plate. But it is a mute point as he sold through his inventory and likely won't offer it again as the Amazon fees were too much.

The OEM rock rails are the same for the BD and BL.

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No. The transmission pan is exposed on all trim - though it is tucked up. Mabett sold one for the 2.3. The 2.7 has supporting cross-members that can be removed to fit the skid plate. But it is a mute point as he sold through his inventory and likely won't offer it again as the Amazon fees were too much.

The OEM rock rails are the same for the BD and BL.
Probably also a moot point. Although if nobody could hear it maybe it doesn't matter. ;)

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2017 Mustang / 2012 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First off, I’m super excited because my 4DR BD MIC has a build date of June 7th. I did realize that the hoop steps I included on my build, remove the standard rock rails that come with BD. You would think FMC would build steps that go into rock rails but it’s also FMC. I think it’s too late to delete this from my build but I’m not too worried because I do like the look of the steps and doubt I’ll ever “need” rock rails on my nonSAS BD and I don’t expect to do much if any rock crawling. I’ve also seen folks that have bought the oem rock rails and easily put them on if needed before a more extreme off roading adventure. Should I be concerned about accidentally deleting the rock rails by adding the hoop steps?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Model I would have gone with if the high package was available.

Tidewater

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Raptor SCREW & 1981 CJ8
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
SAS is a great value for a factory integrated and warrantied differential, transfer case, suspension, wheel and tire package. Washable floors, MGV, Mid Package with standard steel bumpers/skid plate and rock rails were my decision drivers for the Black Diamond trim. Didn't need the signature lighting, sway bar disconnect, or high package.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Price was the biggest sway to the BD was features. I don't need 4A, or sway disconnect, and for a lot of the stuff I do, a rear locker is more than enough. If anything, I wish Ford would make 33's standard.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Best tire and wheel package by far.
Decent undercarriage protection.
Rear Locker standard.
Not forced into the Mid package. (manual controls on the Base package are best controls)
4A is something I would never use.

Only thing that kept me from getting the BD was the MGV seats. I drove a BD at the Drive the Bronco event and they were ridiculously hot even on a cool (for Phoenix) day. If you don't live on the surface of the sun, and want the MGV I think the BD is one of the best values for what you get.

OP
OP
tsquared5

tsquared5

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 90 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Best tire and wheel package by far.
Decent undercarriage protection.
Rear Locker standard.
Not forced into the Mid package. (manual controls on the Base package are best controls)
4A is something I would never use.

Only thing that kept me from getting the BD was the MGV seats. I drove a BD at the Drive the Bronco event and they were ridiculously hot even on a cool (for Phoenix) day. If you don't live on the surface of the sun, and want the MGV I think the BD is one of the best values for what you get.
Thanks!

Air Biscuit

Black Diamond
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For me the the lack of carpet, the MGV, and the steelies. That’s what drew me to it. Rear locker is a plus too.
Also I favor the regular headlights . The black flares match the grille too along with the door handles, and side view mirrors. I ended up with a white one and like the contrast of the black and white.
The General tires are great tire too, but a 285/70r17 would have been nicer in my opinion.
The truck I found had no options but the auto trans and the key pad on the door which is all I wanted if I was to order one. I was very happy to not pay for anything I didn’t want…less is more in my mind. It’d have crank windows if I could help it. Oh and it came with door bags too as the only other option, which I wouldn’t have wanted. But now that I have them, glad I do…but that’s obviously not BD specific…

Last edited:

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went back and forth between the BD and Badlands. The decision was between a BD with SAS, 2.7, mid package and a Badlands with SAS, 2.7 and high package (for the 360 camera). $5000 difference. Didn't feel the camera, signature lights and the stabar disconnect was worth that bump in price. I also put some of that $5000 savings into other things I really liked like the Oracle tail lights, Diabolical drawer, and Pura Vida attic.
Yessir

BroncoBish

Badlands
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My first was a Black Diamond and at the time one was available at a Dealership so I got it. Loved it and loved that it was manual too! I now have a Badlands and it had all the features that I wanted gears/locker.. and a few other small things.

One thing that I liked about the Black Diamond more is how it felt in the front (suspension handling wise) Only thing that was different between mine was the swaybar on them - Same suspension set up. Yes it is cool that I can disconnect it (if you stay under certian speed limits - but I definalty go faster than that speed limit offroad though... shhhh!)
Sponsored