Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey,

I have a 2021 Wiltrak. I am looking for a way to beef up the hitch, particularly the max tongue weight. I have two ebikes and a hitch with a swing arm, and the 350lbs spec isn't good enough. The truck seems fine butI am a bit concerned that the back frame and hitch could twist. Any suggestions?

IMG_1643.jpeg
Sponsored

ohp138

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm assuming your e-bike's aren't class 1 and 2? I have an e-bike (50 lbs), a Kuat NV 2.0 bike rack (53 lbs), and also throw on my other MTB (28 lbs). Even if I had two 50 lb e-bikes, I wouldn't exceed the tongue weight limit.

OP
OP
ScottMc

ScottMc

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a Kuat swing arm and a Piston. My understanding is that if you add an extender or swing arm the tongue weight is cut in half. The rack stop guys said there wasn't a rack that worked without at least an extender. one ebike is 67lbs, the other is unknown. The hitch shop said that the tongue weight is cut twice in half, once for the rack and once for the swing away, just trying to sort though it...

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last edited:

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can get yourself a LOD Offroad bumper. It’s ties into multiple locations on both the frame and crossmember so you wouldn’t have to worry about the hitch bending things.

Sponsored

ohp138

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a Kuat swing arm and a Piston. My understanding is that if you add an extender or swing arm the tongue weight is cut in half. The rack stop guys said there wasn't a rack that worked without at least an extender. one ebike is 67lbs, the other is unknown. The hitch shop said that the tongue weight is cut twice in half, once for the rack and once for the swing away, just trying to sort though it...
I purchased the Yakima extender from Ford which brings the hitch out enough to clear the spare and it works great w/my Kuat. I understand the tongue weight max to be 350 lbs, so even if cut in half based on the extender, I'm still within a reasonable weight, even if I added a second e-bike, or at least close enough for me to be comfortable to use it. I can't answer for how to beef up the hitch, but I'll follow this thread to see what others did.

OP
OP
ScottMc

ScottMc

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I purchased the Yakima extender from Ford which brings the hitch out enough to clear the spare and it works great w/my Kuat. I understand the tongue weight max to be 350 lbs, so even if cut in half based on the extender, I'm still within a reasonable weight, even if I added a second e-bike, or at least close enough for me to be comfortable to use it. I can't answer for how to beef up the hitch, but I'll follow this thread to see what others did.
Ya, I need to double check my info that the tongue weigh is 1/2'd by the swing arm, and then 1/2'd again by the rack. I can always strap the rack to the spare tire and/or roof rack for a heavier situation. The service guy at Ford did say that they had a guy twist a hitch from too much loading. Raptor hitch has the same part number as mine, so gonna pull out the caliber like that guy did.

Texasliam

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ETrailer.com sells a Draw-tite hitch for Broncos with max TW of 675 lbs. I got one to replace the stock hitch that is limited to 350 lbs. Works great. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Bronco/2022/DT37GR.html?VehicleID=20226004594
I almost bought that. Solves the tire issue, but it sure does reduce the departure angle. And it's going to look funny IMO. So I bought their kurt version. I know I'm probably going to need an extender for my e-bike carrier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ScottMc

ScottMc

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

ebackwardse1

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Broptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Here is what I ended up doing for a recent trip from LA to Yosemite and Santa Cruz and it worked great with cargo basket and 4 bikes.
It does require the back roof off though.

EDS

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Departure angle? What's that?
The attitude (angle) of the vehicle as it begins to climb an obstacle. As the front tires elevate, the rear bumper begins to get closer to the ground. Once the rear tires traverse the same obstacle or incline the angle is returned to level, relative to the vehicle because both axles they are on the same plane.

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use a hitch extender with a motorcycle rack to haul my off-road motorcycle on my Bronco. The motorcycle weighs about 225 lbs and the carrier weighs about 35 lbs. I have not had issues bending anything.
Sponsored