Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The last broncos made had up to 7k tow cap, so how’s towing not in the bronco DNA? Because the original bronco that had 8in less wheelbase than the new 2dr(24in less than the 4dr) and 60yrs less of overall technology and build advancements couldn’t? By that logic a new f-150 shouldn’t tow anything either, pretty sure the f100 of the same time as the original bronco would struggle towing what a ranger can now, much less a new f150. Yes there’s other vehicle that can tow, and tow a lot more than I’d ever want a bronco to, but they don’t and won’t have particular things I want that the bronco does. And as I’ve said on here many times, the off-road basis of the bronco(which is the ever so often sited reason why it can’t tow) means nothing to me if it can’t tow, because without a bump in tow cap(not a match to any truck or dedicated tow rig) my bronco will never go anywhere I could use those off-road capabilities. So while I’d be alright with a grocery getter suv with a manual trans and removable roof, I would love to actually be able to make use of its off-road basis. And a measly 1500lb tow cap increase(the same increase amount a wrangler gets for wheelbase from 2dr to 4dr) would make that possible for me, and seems completely doable with the extra wheelbase provided on the 4dr if Ford would make an actual tow package for it.
Any improvement in towing would most likely negatively effect the off road capability, these are nowhere the same animals as the previous generations of Bronco, the DNA part refers to the off road capability, which is what Bronco is known for, not its towing!
The previous generations were essentially small pickups and the primitive suspension architecture allowed the better towing by default, but the modern Bronco has completely different suspension than its sibling, specially made to be an off road vehicle with no compromise.
With the very short wheelbase, I really don’t think Bronco’s are looked at as towing vehicles,...
I hope you see why those who also want the Bronco, want it for its off road capability and cringe at the thought of compromise due to towing concerns.

Only my opinion...
Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Any improvement in towing would most likely negatively effect the off road capability, these are nowhere the same animals as the previous generations of Bronco, the DNA part refers to the off road capability, which is what Bronco is known for, not its towing!
The previous generations were essentially small pickups and the primitive suspension architecture allowed the better towing by default, but the modern Bronco has completely different suspension than its sibling, specially made to be an off road vehicle with no compromise.
With the very short wheelbase, I really don’t think Bronco’s are looked at as towing vehicles,...
I hope you see why those who also want the Bronco, want it for its off road capability and cringe at the thought of compromise due to towing concerns.
I understand your delema, but it really doesn’t sound like this is the right vehicle for you, no matter how much you like the look!
Only my opinion...
Cheers
And exactly what you stated is why people that do want towing ask for a towing package. The ones that purely want off road have the sas Package, and a towing package wouldn’t negatively effect anybody’s off road capability except those that want it, and again that’s if it’s even necessary for the 1500lb bump for a 4dr, it’s got a 16in wheelbase advantage over the 2dr so how does that not make a difference? And with that wheelbase, there are tons of other SUVs close to same wheelbase with at least 5k if not 6, 7, even 8k tow caps, so wheelbase isn’t a singular reason for not having at least 5k tow cap, and like I said, even the wrangler gives a 1500lb tow cap for wheelbase, if the bronco just did that then the 4dr would have 5k tow cap with no change to current off-road capability. And yes the broncos that could tow were based on trucks, but that was literally most of the bronco generations, the original being the only one til now that wasn’t(arguably still the only one with this one still being based on a ranger, just maybe more change from the truck than the others) so 4 generations, so there’s more truck dna in the bronco than anything really. And it isn’t an “off-road vehicle with no compromise” otherwise it probably wouldn’t be street legal, wouldn’t have all the comfy tech and gadgets, probably wouldn’t be IFS, wouldn’t have so many options in general. It’s built first and foremost as a street legal vehicle for on road use, just with a huge emphasis on off-road capability that a majority of buyers won’t even use. Overall very few if any buyer are actually buying to use solely off-road and never on road(whereas plenty will use it solely on road and never go off road) so nobody’s going to cringe at 5k towing except the people on here that insist you need a massive truck with 5-6 times the broncos tow cap to tow 1500lbs more. And as I’ve said I’m getting a bronco regardless, just with out the tow cap it’ll be my daily and grocery getter and never go off pavement, so it is the vehicle for me either way, just won’t ever use off-road capability without a tow cap increase

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1615914610245.png

So, for like the third time, could you please quantify for the class why this design is "weak."
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but this method of mounting is exactly how the class-III receiver on the WK Grand Cherokee I used to have was mounted as OEM. I had it off once because I had to shorten up the receiver tube that extends forward weld and the two center bolts in order to fit a 32" spare in the underbody tire carrier (it was that close).

But my point is that this configuration can be reasonably stout; the WK was rated to tow 7200lb, as I recall. I only went up to about 4500 myself. But you had to have the tow package on a 5.7L model to get that rating, which is what I had. V6 models were only rated to 3500 lb, but they also only got a class-II receiver for a 1.25" drawbar.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And exactly what you stated is why people that do want towing ask for a towing package. The ones that purely want off road have the sas Package, and a towing package wouldn’t negatively effect anybody’s off road capability except those that want it, and again that’s if it’s even necessary for the 1500lb bump for a 4dr, it’s got a 16in wheelbase advantage over the 2dr so how does that not make a difference? And with that wheelbase, there are tons of other SUVs close to same wheelbase with at least 5k if not 6, 7, even 8k tow caps, so wheelbase isn’t a singular reason for not having at least 5k tow cap, and like I said, even the wrangler gives a 1500lb tow cap for wheelbase, if the bronco just did that then the 4dr would have 5k tow cap with no change to current off-road capability. And yes the broncos that could tow were based on trucks, but that was literally most of the bronco generations, the original being the only one til now that wasn’t(arguably still the only one with this one still being based on a ranger, just maybe more change from the truck than the others) so 4 generations, so there’s more truck dna in the bronco than anything really. And it isn’t an “off-road vehicle with no compromise” otherwise it probably wouldn’t be street legal, wouldn’t have all the comfy tech and gadgets, probably wouldn’t be IFS, wouldn’t have so many options in general. It’s built first and foremost as a street legal vehicle for on road use, just with a huge emphasis on off-road capability that a majority of buyers won’t even use. Overall very few if any buyer are actually buying to use solely off-road and never on road(whereas plenty will use it solely on road and never go off road) so nobody’s going to cringe at 5k towing except the people on here that insist you need a massive truck with 5-6 times the broncos tow cap to tow 1500lbs more. And as I’ve said I’m getting a bronco regardless, just with out the tow cap it’ll be my daily and grocery getter and never go off pavement, so it is the vehicle for me either way, just won’t ever use off-road capability without a tow cap increase
Sorry, that’s not how it works, this is NOT a do it all vehicle, the Towing package is for light use, the only thing that should be towed by a short wheelbase vehicle and is not even in the same ballpark as the Sasquatch package...as packages go, maybe a Flex or Explorer would be a better fit?
I really don’t think you are the target buyer for the Bronco and I don’t see Ford changing the formula with the current popularity.
It’s your choice to wait/complain for what I don’t see as happening, but there is a possible truck version, maybe that will be your ticket...
Cheers,

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry, that’s not how it works, this is NOT a do it all vehicle, the Towing package is for light use, the only thing that should be towed by a short wheelbase vehicle and is not even in the same ballpark as the Sasquatch package...as packages go, maybe a Flex or Explorer would be a better fit?
I really don’t think you are the target buyer for the Bronco and I don’t see Ford changing the formula with the current popularity.
It’s your choice to wait/complain for what I don’t see as happening, but there is a possible truck version, maybe that will be your ticket...
Cheers,
Did you not read my post at all? I’ve said more than once I’m getting a bronco regardless of the tow cap, it is the vehicle for me, it just won’t be used for off-roading as is, like probably 80% of broncos sold won’t see off-road, the most likely buyer isn’t an actual off-roader, just like with the wrangler, most rarely if ever see off road. And I don’t need or want anybody trying to tell me what vehicle is and isn’t for me, and I’ve never asked for any opinions on what I should get as I can figure that out for myself easily. A flex or escape are about as far as can be from any vehicle I would own, neither have any appeal to me whatsoever. And It’s not that short of a wheelbase for the 4dr, a Porsche Cayenne has almost 8k tow cap with shorter wheelbase than the 4dr, a 4Runner has 5k tow cap with a shorter wheelbase, a land cruiser has 8k tow cap with shorter wheelbase, a Range Rover sport 8k tow cap with shorter wheelbase, Grand Cherokee has 7k tow cap with shorter wheelbase and plenty more with 5-8k tow caps and same or shorter wheelbases. Yes vastly different setups between them all obviously, but you’re harping on the “short” wheelbase and saying that wheelbase should never tow, it tows a lot in plenty other vehicles. And I’m not waiting til the tow cap increases, but the next vehicle I buy has to be able to tow at least 5k(if it’s not the bronco will likely be something able to tow 8-9k) so without a tow increase the bronco won’t be for a couple years. Still 100% getting one. But not going to stop asking for a tow cap increase either.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@AcesandEights this is exactly my point as well. What was used for the test? What were the actual results? Did they stop with something they felt was "good enough" or did they try for more and fail? Have they identified anything that could potentially be minor changes to pass with a higher trailer?
And who knows...it could be a cooling issue for all we know just like jeep had to cap the ecodiesel gladiator’s towing capacity, even after magically adding a higher GVWR (since the diesel weighs a few hundred lbs more) and its little sibling 3.6 still being able to tow more.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cheers,
So please define “light use” or “light duty” taking into account passengers or cargo. Are you saying that a 4dr BL Bronco should or should not be capable of towing an 11’ offroad 3300 lb camper (that’s just over 6’ tall) and is capable on 98% of the trails that a Bronco can go?

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So please define “light use” or “light duty” taking into account passengers or cargo. Are you saying that a 4dr BL Bronco should or should not be capable of towing an 11’ offroad 3300 lb camper (that’s just over 6’ tall) and is capable on 98% of the trails that a Bronco can go?
Light use, small trailer or such!

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The formed cross member on the frame will be between 16ga and 18ga material... those “generic” receivers are 3/16ths to 1/4 wall thickness. The bolts, whether in shear or tension, are not the weak link.

machtig

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Talk to the folks at Can Am RV Centre. They have equipped many modern sedans and minivans to safely pull full size Airstreams (north of 6k lbs). You’ll definitely need a class 3 or 4 hitch, 7 pin plug and a really good weight distribution hitch with sway control.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ive never asked for recommendations on what vehicle I should purchase, and I have no anger. You keep suggesting other vehicles to me, unsolicited, even after I’ve repeatedly said I’m buying a bronco regardless. Nothing to get angry over but is annoying still. Discussing the tow capability of the bronco doesn’t mean suggesting someone else buy this or that or anything other than a bronco.
Sorry dude, I did suggest a couple, but you have mentioned many, like I said, all the power to you, no issues here, I just don’t think it’s mechanically possible to increase the towing without hurting the capability, unless it gets heavier and I don’t think the chances of that happening are good, Ford already has product in that range,
mind you, Ford has done some crazy thing in their past, if sales drop who knows what they will do?
🥌ON!

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry dude, I did suggest a couple, but you have mentioned many, like I said, all the power to you, no issues here, I just don’t think it’s mechanically possible to increase the towing without hurting the capability, unless it gets heavier and I don’t think the chances of that happening are good, Ford already has product in that range,
mind you, Ford has done some crazy thing in their past, if sales drop who knows what they will do?
🥌ON!
I mentioned reference points when you said the wheelbase of the bronco should never tow. None of those are actually vehicles I’m considering buying, just proof that the wheelbase isn’t a singular limiting factor to the bronco. I know what vehicles I’m considering for my next purchase that meet what I need for towing, but yes I would love the bronco to meet my towing need and be my next vehicle instead of one further down the line(be one less vehicle to maintain). And again a simple tow package would solve any issue with decreasing its capability, anyone that wants to tow and doesn’t mind any slight decrease to do it can get the tow package, any that don’t want a single thing to decrease its off road capability don’t get it. Easy peasy, those that don’t care about towing don’t have to change a single thing.

Trax1090

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, tell me if this sounds like you.

I’m reasonably interested in any possible increase in towing capacity, even understanding that it really isn’t the bread and butter of the Bronco but would make family trips that much easier, so I click on this thread to see if there are any updates from knowledgeable members that may influence my decision making when it comes to finalizing my build.

Instead, I mostly see this topic devolving into internet troll wars and spreading of misinformation based on supposed expert opinion. Sadly, this scenario is not unique to this thread. While I am admittedly certainly not an expert, I find this incredibly disappointing for those that really do want to learn more or are hoping for a true update on capability.

Sorry that I can’t add to the discussion beyond these observations, but I really wish we could all do better.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't we all just get along and wait to see what ford does... It's a mute point otherwise and all the arguing doesn't mean shit lol. It's got a legal tow capacity at this point. If it changes great, if it doesn't y'all will have to decide for yourselves what you're ok with towing. If anything. 🙃🤦 Lol
Sponsored