2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@LaminarThe way Ford has attached the rear receiver is weaker than the design you provided pictures of, where it is mounted to the frame rails. It is a weak way to do it. There are stronger ways to do it.
Why can’t ford mount it like jeep’s grand cherokee? I have an offroad camper that is extremely capable offroad, that I yank over bolders, last thing I want is a damaged rear crossmember. I would think they could still do it without losing departure angle.

Ford Bronco Increased towing.? 4FEC0BD7-47C8-464E-A2F0-BC1072CF1888

Ford Bronco Increased towing.? 2A0644BE-1A40-456D-A27B-B3BD2337E2BE
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You talk about the bolts being loaded "tension" (they're not).
Just to be pedantic, all bolts in a "successfully" designed non-permanent joint are under tension. But I know that's not the point you're arguing.

Monster79

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Stang, 07'F150, 23',96',93',79'Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Off topic but has anyone got to see Space White in person? I really hope they add that as a color for 22' also I finally got to see Cactus Grey and god it is gonna be real hard picking between it and Area 51..

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think what's happened here is you didn't trust my post. It caused you to do more research.
Sorry, you're still the one that said the Bronco's design puts the receiver mounting bolts in tension, which we all already knew to be false. And since we don't know the cross-sectional area or material properties of the steel that makes up the Bronco's crossmember, then we DON'T know which design is weaker.

No questions have been answered, you've presented no numbers, and now you're trying this condescension angle to get out of admitting it.

llama.gif

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Laminar I didn't say that though. Attributing something to me that I didn't say doesn't strengthen your argument, and it doesn't make what I actually said untrue.

My post was about the frame rails. That's how this started, trying to clarify something.

I actually said, "I don't know anything about the hitch (but I ordered it). I just saw the comment about not being tied into the rails and was commenting on that aspect really. Larger hitches are often tied into the rails and the bolts are then in shear and it's a stronger tie to the frame than bolted in tension."

You then decided I said something else, something contrary, that you could argue with.

You've been arguing with yourself this whole time, arguing with you own understanding of things. But that's good. You see? You've used your own misunderstanding of an issue to work through it and to form a more well-developed understanding of what is in fact true, whether you like that answer or not. That's a good thing.

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But let's say they are - if those are 3/8" grade 8 bolts, each of them has a minimum yield strength of 11,418lbs. Four of those bolts would give a yield strength of 45,672 lbs. In no way, shape, form, or universe does the Bronco have enough traction or power to create that kind of pull.
Just for kicks did a little dynamics. In order for the bronco to experience 45,000lbf it would have to be able accelerate from 0-60MPH with a fully loaded trailer in 0.2 seconds.

Assumptions:
1) No slip condition at the wheel
2) Coefficient of friction is = 0.71
3) 10% tongue weight

Ford Bronco Increased towing.? 1615926810267

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't need an F-150 to tow 5000lbs, unless you're hauling a lot of weight to go with it. And if he came from a 4Runner then he likely isn't.
Ok, a Ranger then!

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just for kicks did a little dynamics. In order for the bronco to experience 45,000lbf it would have to be able accelerate from 0-60MPH with a fully loaded trailer in 0.2 seconds.

Assumptions:
1) No slip condition at the wheel
2) Coefficient of friction is = 0.71
3) 10% tongue weight

Ford Bronco Increased towing.? 1615926810267
Is that trailer of uniform density?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think you think that if someone doesn't feel the same way, they want to argue. Discussing things isnt arguing, but read any anger into anything you want, it won't largely affect me or my life. The J2807 towing test is something I am very aware of and even linked here and other places regarding questions about where the result may have come from, but you are ignoring WHY the result is what it is.

You trust everything Ford says. And why shouldn't you, they have been so forthcoming about their directions. But just in case you continue to read the wrong emotion into my statements, that last sentence was sarcastic.
@AcesandEights this is exactly my point as well. What was used for the test? What were the actual results? Did they stop with something they felt was "good enough" or did they try for more and fail? Have they identified anything that could potentially be minor changes to pass with a higher trailer?

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For all you holding out for a my22 anticipate the "Heavy Duty Tow Package" $1,000 upcharge for a better hitch. You shall be rewarded with 4,000 lb towing capacity!

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ranger is a pickup, not an SUV.
It.
Also.
Doesn't.
Have.
A.
Stick.
Sorry, just trying to help!
I wouldn’t wait for better towing, it’s not in the Bronco DNA and I really don’t expect any big changes.
On the other hand, watching all the Jeep over-landing videos, it appears that weights are not a real concern, as most rigs are obviously way over weight, maybe towing is the same?

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry, just trying to help!
I wouldn’t wait for better towing, it’s not in the Bronco DNA and I really don’t expect any big changes.
On the other hand, watching all the Jeep over-landing videos, it appears that weights are not a real concern, as most rigs are obviously way over weight, maybe towing is the same?
The last broncos made had up to 7k tow cap, so how’s towing not in the bronco DNA? Because the original bronco that had 8in less wheelbase than the new 2dr(24in less than the 4dr) and 60yrs less of overall technology and build advancements couldn’t? By that logic a new f-150 shouldn’t tow anything either, pretty sure the f100 of the same time as the original bronco would struggle towing what a ranger can now, much less a new f150. Yes there’s other vehicle that can tow, and tow a lot more than I’d ever want a bronco to, but they don’t and won’t have particular things I want that the bronco does. And as I’ve said on here many times, the off-road basis of the bronco(which is the ever so often sited reason why it can’t tow) means nothing to me if it can’t tow, because without a bump in tow cap(not a match to any truck or dedicated tow rig) my bronco will never go anywhere I could use those off-road capabilities. So while I’d be alright with a grocery getter suv with a manual trans and removable roof, I would love to actually be able to make use of its off-road basis. And a measly 1500lb tow cap increase(the same increase amount a wrangler gets for wheelbase from 2dr to 4dr) would make that possible for me, and seems completely doable with the extra wheelbase provided on the 4dr especially if Ford would make an actual tow package for it.

Last edited:

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs