First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for a person to want one do it all vehicle; off road, camping, commuting, and some towing, the 3.5k tow rating is really low.
The Ford apologists are too quick to say; "It's for off roading, not for towing!"
I think the 4runner has a shorter wheelbase than the Bronco 4 door and is still rated to tow 5k lbs.
The Ford apologists will then say; "So buy a 4 runner!"
The 4runner is just an example, but if it wasn't such an old design, and if I didn't want to switch back to a US manufacturer; I would buy the 4runner instead of a Bronco.
I'm on the fence about the Bronco, I'm waiting to hear owners towing reports.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You really should buy a 4Runner. They are great vehicles, probably better than the Bronco. I was going to buy a 4Runner, and if I don't get a 2021 Bronco, it's exactly what I'll buy...or a Tacoma.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think a big piece of the problem is related to the rear frame. There doesn’t look to be a way to attach a hitch supported by the actual frame rails due to the way the exhaust crosses the rear. t
This just isnt the case, it is tied in quite well and could be even stronger pretty easily.

Ford Bronco Increased towing.? Towing connection

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This just isnt the case, it is tied in quite well and could be even stronger pretty easily.

Ford Bronco Increased towing.? Towing connection
Also remember the hitch is also an approved recovery point for the vehicle so it has to be able to take the pull of the entire loaded truck. It’s strong. But that’s in-line pull and not the vertical loading of a trailer. It does show how strong the connection to the frame is though.

JBTHERAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Highlander, ‘15 Taurus, ‘18 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also remember the hitch is also an approved recovery point for the vehicle so it has to be able to take the pull of the entire loaded truck. It’s strong. But that’s in-line pull and not the vertical loading of a trailer. It does show how strong the connection to the frame is though.
Is there a transmission cooler when adding the trailer hitch?

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Towing connection.jpg
@martyb is talking about the frame "rails", which run front/rear. Typically, a higher class hitch is bolted not just to the rear crossmember, but to the rails. You know, shear vs tension. Ford's Bronco design is weak. Don't use it for heavier loads.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@martyb is talking about the frame "rails", which run front/rear. Typically, a higher class hitch is bolted not just to the rear crossmember, but to the rails. You know, shear vs tension. Ford's Bronco design is weak. Don't use it for heavier loads.
I can see where you are coming from, but the crossmember in question is not some bolted on accessory, it is integral to the frame, welded in from the factory, if this crossmember can't utilize a higher capacity then 3500lbs, then the similar same setup used on the Ford Ranger wouldnt have about double the capacity. My point is, this crossmember setup is not responsible for the 3500lbs rating. I mean how much stronger can you tie into the frame rails than welded boxed steel sections. We are not talking about 12,000lbs+ here. We are talking about 5 to 7 thousand. Boxed steel crossmembers should easily do more than 3500lbs.

How do I know? Because the Ford Flex I have is rated for 5000lbs and it has a smaller section of steel tied into the unibody frame which is going to be weaker than this all boxed steel construction.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like the hitch is bolted to the crossmember, not integral and not welded, but that's ok by me.

I don't know anything about the hitch (but I ordered it). I just saw the comment about not being tied into the rails and was commenting on that aspect really. Larger hitches are often tied into the rails and the bolts are then in shear and it's a stronger tie to the frame than bolted in tension.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What's really ridiculous is that people are getting mad because the Bronco doesn't have the cargo or towing capacity of a one ton.
Literally nobody is getting mad that the bronco doesn’t have the tow cap or payload of a one ton. Nobody’s asked for that at all, and if they did then yea go ahead and ridicule them about it cause that is ridiculous to ask for. But it’s more ridiculous for people to keep saying you should get a one ton truck(or anything else) if you want to tow 5k lbs.

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
keep in mind that the main functional design criteria was off roading, now having said that, I believe the short wheel base (even on the 4dr) and stopping power, play a major role in towing capacity.
There’s half a dozen SUVs with wheelbase similar or even smaller than the 4drs with tow caps double or almost triple the broncos, and they could easily use the brakes off the ranger(same size rims, same tire size as certain bronco setups) which can stop 7k towing on the ranger so should be fine for 5k behind a bronco. So why would either of those be a major role? Contributing factor to some extent sure, but without some other factors neither should limit the 4dr to what it is.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What's really ridiculous is that people are getting mad because the Bronco doesn't have the cargo or towing capacity of a one ton.
I have literally yet to see that on here. Do you mind backing your assertion with evidence? I'll get comfy.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Bronco isn't a tow vehicle. Simple.

This is like people getting mad that a basketball isn't six-sided. If you want a cube-shaped basketball, buy a brick. Basketballs are spherical and filled with air.

Broncos are not tow vehicles. Merde.
And yet it comes with an optional tow package. Which you have ordered.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All that people have been asking for are Easily Doable By FoMoCo with a PROPER Tow Package.

2D - 4000-5000 Tow Rating
4D - 5000-6000 Tow Rating

Nobody Has Asked For 7000+, NO BODY!

So All Of You Fan Boys who keep saying that what we're asking for is 7000-15000 Tow Rating are just full of it or you need to share what you're smoking!

I've said it before and it appears that I have to say it again for the Fan Boys.......

FoMoCo Can Make a True Tow Package for the People Who Want It ...........

AND the People Who Value the Off-Road Ability Over Tow Rating -----> They Don't Have To Buy The Tow Package!!! WOW! So Simple!!!!

Maybe when one of you Fan Boys spout out your dislike about towing and that those of us who do, should buy a truck and that the Bronco is designed for Off-Road, we should tell you that you just need to buy a Side-By-Side, as you don't need an On-Road Vehicle.......
Sponsored