NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just checked - the V6 are up to 5K. Which is the next size standard trailer.

If anything I think the standards are more stringent, they answer the question CAN you do it w/ minimal risk of burning down / tipping over / losing control. Before it was a pissing match in the truck world, people would run the SAE procedure but then advertise what the truck could pull on a reasonable hill on a cool day.
For what it’s worth I don’t think the standards made it better. For example I wouldn’t want to pull 11,000 lbs with an F150 even if it’s rated for it. First the running gear in an F150 is no where near as strong as an F250, the engines in the F150 are decidedly lighter duty, and the F150 weighs too little for that kind of weight.

The standards, like all standards allow manufacturers to thread a needle to get exactly what they want.

I saw a couple years back the Ram 3500 could pull over 30,000 lbs, not a chance in hell I would do that in a truck that light either.

Weight savings in trucks is about the stupidest goal I’ve ever seen from a manufacturer. If your payload is too low then up your gear, if your fuel economy is too low then build a BOF car with the same engine options for customers that are concerned with that.

Edit: just saw the Ram 3500 is now rated at 35,100 lbs. That’s beyond ridiculous. For a truck in that class.
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what it’s worth I don’t think the standards made it better. For example I wouldn’t want to pull 11,000 lbs with an F150 even if it’s rated for it. First the running gear in an F150 is no where near as strong as an F250, the engines in the F150 are decidedly lighter duty, and the F150 weighs too little for that kind of weight.

The standards, like all standards allow manufacturers to thread a needle to get exactly what they want.

I saw a couple years back the Ram 3500 could pull over 30,000 lbs, not a chance in hell I would do that in a truck that light either.

Weight savings in trucks is about the stupidest goal I’ve ever seen from a manufacturer. If your payload is too low then up your gear, if your fuel economy is too low then build a BOF car with the same engine options for customers that are concerned with that.
Agree with you on all points except for the bolded. This standard isn't like emissions or fuel economy where you can "cheat" by using forced induction.

SAE J2807 is a BEAST of a test. Like I said it answers what CAN be done, not what SHOULD be done.

And personally I think anything towing 15 tons should require a CDL.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just going to lighten my Bronco by 2k lbs so I can tow 5.5k lbs.

Figure a few holes in the frame, gut the dash, take all the removable 'modular' pieces off, 29" tires, remove the windshield, etc, should get me there...

edit for spelling...

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Weight, weight, weight And what Ford has calculated with options, passenger payload, etc by model. Since the 4Dr FE is loaded up they have run into a weight limitation, therefore no hitch.

Same problem applies in regards to the roof rack as well as other options. Ford does have a weight issue with the Bronco that will need to be addressed. I would bet that they are working the issue to be resolved for 22MY. They have their hands full now getting the darn thing into production with whatever issues that they are seeing on the mules and the seemingly endless problems with the roof manufacturer in Germany, WEBASTO. (Covid my butt, there are bigger problems than that IMHO)

Bronco rear suspension is totally different from Ranger and as pointed out is not built to be a tow vehicle, it has a softer/more compliant suspension specifically for on and especially off road use. Look at the very low tongue load capacity, 350 lbs. thats the problem, not brakes, not frame, not engine/trans. 350lb tongue load is so low because of vehicle GVWR, IMO due to rear suspension.

Can the tow rating be higher, the answer is yes, particularly on the 4 dr, its just engineering, 5000 or 6000 is not a stretch, anything higher than that will be unlikely due to w/b. The 2dr will always be limited to the shorter w/b. The most likely needed improvement is rear springs, but also possibly rear spring attach points to frame. Other things such as additional cooling etc as Ford does on other vehicles would probably fall into a real tow package as well. Changing the dynamics of rear suspension will come at a cost, potentially harsher ride and less compliant to off road conditions, can it be done yes, will some things be comprimised doing it, yes.

854FF815-365E-45F6-B10D-431EEDBF945B.jpeg

18D414E4-1523-43B6-9233-734477DF6F61.jpeg
To clarify, the Ranger has a GVWR of 6050lbs (yes, even the Tremor) and 4-door Broncos have GVWRs between 5920 and 6180lbs. Every 4-door 2.7L has a higher GVWR than every Ranger.

As per the 2021 Towing Guide, the tow package on the Ranger does not have any added cooling. Granted we don't know if the Bronco has the exact same engine or transmission cooling as the Ranger does, all we can do for now is assume that the same components have the same cooling capabilities if it doesn't have anything added.

Lastly the low tongue weight is due to the Class II hitch receiver, which are explicitly rated for 350lbs. Again, the GVWR of many 4-door Broncos match or exceed the GVWR of every Ranger. Now if you were to specifically quote the difference in rear GAWR and break down what we currently know of the curb weight differences over those rear axles between the two, then you may end up with an argument about rear suspension limiting towing capacity. Keep in mind though, that the published GCWRs of these vehicles are very high relative to the published tow cap, so the lower trims (with lower curb weight) can carry a whole bunch of payload at that relatively low (again, compared to GCWR) max towed weight. That payload has to sit on something, and one of those two somethings is the rear axle.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Properly modified, I would have no problem towing 5000 lbs. Class IV receiver, transmission cooler, spring replacement/stiffening, weight distribution hitch.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Don't carry any passengers or cargo and you can tow more.
So typically the advertised tow cap is based on the SAE J2807-mandated 300lbs of payload (TWR=GCWR-curb weight-300lbs), meaning that you can only achieve it with next to no passengers or cargo as you note. In this case though, the tow cap + curb weight on all but the highest trims is much much lower than GCWR, so you in fact can carry a lot while towing. The most egregious example of this is the 2-Door Base with 2.3/7M, which can carry an absurd 900lbs of payload while towing a max-weight trailer.

Ridiculous

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

keep in mind that the main functional design criteria was off roading, now having said that, I believe the short wheel base (even on the 4dr) and stopping power, play a major role in towing capacity.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

keep in mind that the main functional design criteria was off roading, now having said that, I believe the short wheel base (even on the 4dr) and stopping power, play a major role in towing capacity.
The 2-door and 4-door have the same GCWRs and tow caps for given engine/transmission/gearing/4x4 system combinations. This is except in the case of higher trim V6s, where the 2-doors actually have higher tow caps than their equivalent 4-doors. Yes that's correct, they have higher tow caps despite having close to 16" shorter wheelbases. And given that the GCWRs are the same between them but curb weights on the 2-doors are lower than the 4-doors, you can actually carry more payload in a 2-door than a 4-door while towing the same weight.

This is all by Ford's own published numbers by the way. Seriously.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So typically the advertised tow cap is based on the SAE J2807-mandated 300lbs of payload (TWR=GCWR-curb weight-300lbs), meaning that you can only achieve it with next to no passengers or cargo as you note. In this case though, the tow cap + curb weight on all but the highest trims is much much lower than GCWR, so you in fact can carry a lot while towing. The most egregious example of this is the 2-Door Base with 2.3/7M, which can carry an absurd 900lbs of payload while towing a max-weight trailer.

Ridiculous
What's really ridiculous is that people are getting mad because the Bronco doesn't have the cargo or towing capacity of a one ton.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the question becomes...do I option for the factory tow hitch on MY21 and then swap it out for aftermarket class 3/4 when aftermarket becomes available, or leave the factory hitch off in hopes that aftermarket is available by the time I take delivery? Can’t go without the hitch during camping season. For the MY22 order, Id probably just hold off on factory hitch and get aftermarket right off the bat.

I would say there wont be an added trans cooler or larger alternator for the Bronco’s tow hitch package, so the $695 is pretty steep in my eyes.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco isn't a tow vehicle. Simple.

This is like people getting mad that a basketball isn't six-sided. If you want a cube-shaped basketball, buy a brick. Basketballs are spherical and filled with air.

Broncos are not tow vehicles. Merde.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco isn't a tow vehicle. Simple.

This is like people getting mad that a basketball isn't six-sided. If you want a cube-shaped basketball, buy a brick. Basketballs are spherical and filled with air.
Bad analogy. Here's a better one sticking with your obsession over balls:

Ford, Jeep, Toyota, and Land Rover all make playground balls. These balls can be used for playing four square, soccer, basketball, kickball, and dodgeball. Except for the playground ball that Ford makes, Ford says you CAN'T use that for kickball, even though it's round and bouncy just like all of the other competitors' playground balls.

The FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Defender, and even Cherokee can all tow more than the Bronco with less weight, less wheelbase, and some level of offroad capability.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650