Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After 1 track day the brand-new tires on my gixxer look like they’ve been used for years...and that’s exactly what needs to be expected.

Hundreds of miles rock-crawling and spirited off-roading will wear any tire faster than using them only on the road. My question to the people doing that to the Goodyears would be, “How’s the traction?” If they are doing the job and providing grip, for an OEM tire that should make be satisfactory.
In my old M3, I destroyed a set of PS2’s fairly quickly. Switches to equivalent Potenza’s and got probably 4 track days out of them. They were a higher tread wear and much newer but like you said. If the tire is doing a great job at the limit, then it shouldn’t be an issue.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah right. So say the guy just before you:
So 20 people agree with me that it's normal but the one guy that says it's not is the one you'll believe.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Doesn't seem normal. I've had 35" BFG MTs and MTRs on Jeeps for 20-25K miles, with numerous hardcore off-road trails on rocky difficult trails, and never saw anything even remotely close to this.
You would if you were doing higher speed stuff with a lot of wheel spin.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The TL;DR is that the tire wear looks “wrong” to those that have never subjected their own tires to the circumstances that causes this type of wear.

Also known as ignorance. Not in the insulting way, just the literal way: “lack of knowledge, education, or awareness.”

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He did say Jeeps, so that's not really a thing.
:) Good point on wheel spin. Certainly some significant spinning in our case if muddy too but not high speed, which isn’t really possible on difficult trails where you don’t go much above 1-2 mph except between obstacles.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha ok :) Good point on wheel spin and high speed. There was certainly some spinning if muddy too but not every trip and certainly not high speed. Mostly rock crawling and mountain climbing.
I'm mostly just poking at ya.

I've seen Jeeps with this kind of wear, but they usually had an LS.

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Which wheel is in the picture? If it’s a rear it’s possibly a victim of trail turn assist. Regardless, if your tearing up course terrain you gonna eat tires.

If you can’t pay the toll stay on the highway.

Sponsored

elbroncodor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma w/ long travel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Me and my buddy were at the Off-roadeo on Day 1 and both are experienced wheelers (rocks and desert).

He actually pointed out to me that the Goodyears were beat to shit while the KO2s on the non-squatched badlands werent because i was going back and forth with him for months on whether i should add the sasquatch to my badlands (ultimately decided not to for exactly this reason).

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got sort of a different takeaway from the OP.

Aside from the "how many off-road miles does it take to get to the center of a Goodyear" question, we all know that OEM tires aren't usually the best ones available. And it does seem to be fact that Ford went with the lightest tire they could find. I can see how they wouldn't hold up as well as another tire would.

I am already shying away from Squatch because of the size and weight, and if I would have to replace the Goodyears with an even heavier tire to get better quality or more durability, that makes it even worse. So I'm glad to know this info, even if it may not be shocking news that tires turn to shit on rocks.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So 20 people agree with me that it's normal but the one guy that says it's not is the one you'll believe.
Well, we do know that any negativity in a Bronco review can get you burned at the stake around here, so the same probably goes for reviewing the Squatch set up. You're likely not getting the full gamut of participants, and are only hearing from the staunch defenders.

Not saying they aren't correct in their assessment, but just saying your poll is probably skewed.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is pretty much where I'm landing. There was a thought that maybe I would run the stock tires until I could get the lift and 37s to put on. But I think I'm just going to throw decent 35s on and get rid of these ASAP. That means running 35" tires that I'll have to eventually sell but that's preferable to the apparent alternative.

Of course, by the time I get my Bronco, Fox may already have released their bronco line up and it'll be moot.
🤞🤞
My original plan was to put the Goodyear’s on my JK (that will be for my daughter) and pick up some new true to size 35’s & RTR wheels. With the delays & wicked old tires on the recently acquired JK I’ve had to accelerate this plan & installed some 35x12.5x17 Kenda Klever RT’s yesterday. I’ve had these tires before but in a 35x10.5x17 so I know I like them. If my 2D arrives soon (not holding my breath/2nd day Res) then I’ll just swap them, if not I’ll likely buy another set.

275946CE-8A44-4890-B298-5446CE6E45F3.jpeg
Sponsored