Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang V6 prem, 98 Jeep Cherokee LTD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey all. For those with experience insuring Raprors and other vehicles with off road intentions from the factory; how much of a premium over the base? F150 in this case.

In my situation the 98' cherokee insurance is double the 11' Mustang.
Sponsored

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Way way back in 2006 I went from an 04 xlt extended can to an H2 (with 35s) SUV and it was about a 10% hike in the premium . . . then in 2010 I moved into the first Raptor - extended cab with the 5.4 and 35's - and insurance went up @ another 5% . . . then in 2011 I moved to a Raptor Crew and the premium actually went down @10% . . . since then I have had a 14 Raptor Crew and my current 17 Raptor Crew and the rates have actually dipped a little - likely due to getting older and avoiding tickets and accidents . . . but I think a better comparison would be the Jeeps. I don't think the 35s make much difference. My father drives a 19 Lariat with much of the same safety equipment as I have in my Raptor (ACC, Lane Change Warnings, Collision barking, etc) and his rate through the same company is within $10.00 for 6 months . . . but who knows what the insurance companies will do with a totally new spec!?!!

OP
OP
Qman68

Qman68

Outer Banks
First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Way way back in 2006 I went from an 04 xlt extended can to an H2 (with 35s) SUV and it was about a 10% hike in the premium . . . then in 2010 I moved into the first Raptor - extended cab with the 5.4 and 35's - and insurance went up @ another 5% . . . then in 2011 I moved to a Raptor Crew and the premium actually went down @10% . . . since then I have had a 14 Raptor Crew and my current 17 Raptor Crew and the rates have actually dipped a little - likely due to getting older and avoiding tickets and accidents . . . but I think a better comparison would be the Jeeps. I don't think the 35s make much difference. My father drives a 19 Lariat with much of the same safety equipment as I have in my Raptor (ACC, Lane Change Warnings, Collision barking, etc) and his rate through the same company is within $10.00 for 6 months . . . but who knows what the insurance companies will do with a totally new spec!?!!
Thanks for the info. Good to hear. Maybe all the safety tech. Is helping keep rates lower on newer. Cheers.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Expensive SUV with a MPG of a roughly 17 , you know you’re dropping 5k in upgrades and y’all are concerned about insurance costs?!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Qman68

Qman68

Outer Banks
First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Expensive SUV with a MPG of a roughly 17 , you know you’re dropping 5k in upgrades and y’all are concerned about insurance costs?!
Insurance, death and taxes...no choice.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s really not that expensive, I mean I was looking at a 5.0 4x4 extended cab - otherwise base no option XL F150 and the price is an insane $40k. Crazy times we live in.

Also to the thread, 6 months of insurance on an H2 (factory 35s) is $320 for full coverage.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The biggest hit is going to be the convertible nature of the bronco. compare the insurance of a 4runner or FJ Cruiser to a Wrangler. I assume the bronco will be closer to a Wrangler in pricing.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey all. For those with experience insuring Raprors and other vehicles with off road intentions from the factory; how much of a premium over the base? F150 in this case.

In my situation the 98' cherokee insurance is double the 11' Mustang.
Double the insurance cost for a 1998 vs 2011 vehicle? As others suggested shop around. Also hopefully you only have liability insurance on that 1998? I'll have to check the cost of insuring my 1998 TJ.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's sad how true this is. Loyalty means absolutely nothing.
My wife was a long time GEICO customer when I met her. The rates were the best but after a year when we did the shop around again, Progressive was a tiny bit cheaper for the same coverage. I think it was less than $20 difference.

I called GEICO and said look we are long time customers but we are getting a better rate at Progressive. We'd rather stay, but will leave unless you can match the rate. They said the rate we were quoted is the absolute lowest we could go. So I said fine and we switched.

A month later we started getting "Come back! What did we do wrong?" Letters in the mail from GEICO. Idiots.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s really not that expensive, I mean I was looking at a 5.0 4x4 extended cab - otherwise base no option XL F150 and the price is an insane $40k. Crazy times we live in.

Also to the thread, 6 months of insurance on an H2 (factory 35s) is $320 for full coverage.
I dunno what planet you live on but 50k is a lofty sum. That’s what the average American makes in a year.

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
90% of the time you stay with an insurer to long your paying to much. I shop for insurance yearly.
I have a broker that shops for me and tells me what my new insurance is every year. Home and auto. They know the requirements I want to meet and I just sit back and let them work. Best decision I've ever made was to use them.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to sell insurance and I advise everyone to at least shop a few companies yearly. You can even request a requote with your own company because they will adjust their actuarial calculations based upon 8 billion factors quite often, and if you stay on your existing policy you'll never get the benefit of potential new discounts/credits/risk deductions.

If you deal with an individual personally who handles your insurance that's one thing to value over price, but if its just a "set it and forget it" insurance policy for car...screw loyalty. It gets tricky with bundled policies as removing one piece can screw up the entire package, especially in Florida where I live as some companies require home and auto in order to insure your home because of increased risk. But it never hurts/costs you to at least look elsewhere.

Also if you historically have lower liability limits (<$100,000/300,000 bodily injury, $300,000 combined single limit) bump them up to at least 100/300 then request a quote elsewhere. I cant tell you how many times I saw the difference when the same person called in having lower liability limits vs > 100/300 and how much that alone reduced rates. Its a wacky game but there are ways to save and not reduce coverage.
Sponsored