Sponsored

Is it safe to say the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler ON the road?

CinciGP

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`72 Jeep CJ6, `04 Jeep Rubicon, '18 Jeep JLU sport, `09 Mercedes CLK550
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a TJ, a CJ6 and bought a first year JKU and JLU.

The tj, jk and jl tracked well on the highway. The CJ is a handfull. But i have driven some JLs that were a handful on the highway. So varies greatly vehicle to vehicle. Still have not fixed that in the 2020 models from what i have read.

The cj, tj and jk both suck gas, 15 mpg if you are lucky. The jl had the 2.0 mild hybrid. Got much better gas mileage. I am expecting the Bronco to match what the JL got and has no problem rolling 35s.

The 4.0 in the tj and the 3.8 in the jk have no power. But at least the 4.0 runs forever. No doubt the ecoboast is better engineered.

I think jeep has not been interested in truely improving the wrangler. Ford listened to the complaints and tried to engineer out or address those items.

So yes, I think the bronco will be better in most ways then the wrangler, both on and off road. Why i already sold the JL and have my bronco reservation.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
SFA is trash on road. It's not a secret. Anyone who says otherwise is not telling you the truth....
Pfft
My daily driver SFA has 85,000 miles. It rides great on the road with 35” tires and lifted 2.5”. It’s great because I did it right. It has an 8 arm adjustable control arm suspension to get the geometry back to specs. I did not just cheap out and lift it and slap big tires. I drive 70 miles to and from work everyday. So your statement doesn’t apply to me even if you say I am not telling the truth.

I am willing to say IFS is better on the road but for you to just make a blanket statement about SFA is trash on the road and say anyone that doesn’t agree with you is not telling the truth about it is bananas.

Last year I drove 750 miles to Yellowstone national park and another 6 days later and 2000 more miles wheeling and camping. My ride is not as bad as you say.

I can pay in cash for a badlands. If my daily driver was as bad as you say they all are I would not have it.
Ford Bronco Is it safe to say the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler ON the road? BD2E9378-AB42-4301-9237-CFB000D50142

Ford Bronco Is it safe to say the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler ON the road? 3528A4C7-1172-440B-9B92-4EEE38BBA00B

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure about the 3.6 but the 4.0 and 4.2 are legendary for reliability and longevity my gf has a 2019 jl that thing is awesome 35s great highway manners .
Its all about what makes you happy not one b6g has been sold but i can tell you the jeep jl drives better than any jeep from 86 to now.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pfft
My daily driver SFA has 85,000 miles. It rides great on the road with 35” tires and lifted 2.5”. It’s great because I did it right. It has an 8 arm adjustable control arm suspension to get the geometry back to specs. I did not just cheap out and lift it and slap big tires. I drive 70 miles to and from work everyday. So your statement doesn’t apply to me even if you say I am not telling the truth.

I am willing to say IFS is better on the road but for you to just make a blanket statement about SFA is trash on the road and say anyone that doesn’t agree with you is not telling the truth about it is bananas.

Last year I drove 750 miles to Yellowstone national park and another 6 days later and 2000 more miles wheeling and camping. My ride is not as bad as you say.

I can pay in cash for a badlands. If my daily driver was as bad as you say they all are I would not have it.
Ford Bronco Is it safe to say the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler ON the road? 3528A4C7-1172-440B-9B92-4EEE38BBA00B

It’s all relative.
I daily a 97k mile JK with an Old Man Emu 2.5” lift, geometry correction brackets, and 34” tires sitting on AEV pintlers. Smooth up to 80 mph on the highway...

...but I can not wait for the IFS on the Bronco. My ride isn’t “garbage” per se... but the SFA can’t compete when it comes to the regular driving and handling dynamics of an IFS.

I love my Jeep, but beyond the articulation benefit, I can’t defend an SFA in this context.
Ford Bronco Is it safe to say the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler ON the road? 53FAF1EC-0A75-4322-97A7-C2CF4E09B740

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The IFS in the Bronco will be far superior on the road than the SFA in the Wrangler for a small disadvantage off-road. If you're not a rock crawler, it won't matter to you that there is not a SFA in the Bronco and you'll love the ride quality of the Bronco over the Wrangler.
I don’t know. I rented a new Tahoe last year and that sucker wandered more than my JK for sure.

If you’re not a former SFA 4x4 owner, you may feel the Bronco doesn’t ride well. Me, I expect better than my JK pre-lift and tires, but we’ll see. (Going from 4 to 2 doors so the shorter wheelbase may alter the dynamic too.)

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pfft

So it's not garbage unless you properly lift and calibrate it and most Wranglers on the road are either stock or lifted half-assed, and I haven't ever driven an SFA vehicle that wasn't just "adequate" on road--at best, which includes the AEV Brute which was supposed to have been lifted and tuned perfectly to match the weight of the conversion. Everything works great until the damn thing needs to change direction, or you hit crappy and textured pavement.

Sounds like you have taken extraordinary means to make a vehicle that is ill-suited to commuting and made it into a decent commuter, tho. So, bravo. I mean it.

Still not going to go with SFA unless I ever move back to WY and drive on fire roads 50% of the time.

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was debating getting a Wrangler for a while then they announce the Bronco and then that changed everything for a couple reasons:

1) I trust Ford more than FCA (my first car was an Expedition) Lasted for 250k miles

2) Engine/MPG. If I’m not mistaken, the EcoBoost (both of them) will get way better MPG than the Wrangler and is more reliable

3) Better technology and packages that are standard

*Bonus, the doors and roof are apparently easier to take off

Basically, I want a damn fun vehicle where I can drive around with no roof and doors as much as I can and just have a blast with me, my wife, and my soon to be children.

Are the reasons above safe to assume the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler in the road?

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the Bronco is going to be a more off-road capable version of the 2008 - 2010 Explorer. I had two of those and they were great vehicles. They rode smooth for full-frame vehicles and were very comfortable, especially the one with leather seats. I just wish the Bronco would offer power seats.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
People an preferences are funny.

I drove a 8 year old Chevy express van when I went to test drive a brand new Gladiator. The express had tighter and better feeling to the stearing than the Gladiator. Jeep road performance is not a tough bar to get over IMO.

Sure, you can put 200k on an SFA rig no problem. I drove a Ford E350 for well over 250k miles, it worked, but I hate that uncomfortable piece of crap too this day. Coworker is still driving his E350, he loves it, does not want to part with it, I think he is some kind of sadist.

Sponsored

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Pfft

Ford Bronco Is it safe to say the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler ON the road? 53FAF1EC-0A75-4322-97A7-C2CF4E09B740

How are the 35's to balance if you dont mind me asking, after seeing some stuff on here and other things online it seems like a lot of people have trouble keeping the 35 and above balanced. I know not every tire is the same but it cant hurt to ask. Was asking because I was thinking about going Sasquatch, but was nervous when it comes time to get new tires or even how they would act overtime. Also, what wheels are those, really like them.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Considering the probability that the majority of people that own a 4x4 have never taken it off road I would put them in the same category as first time owners
Don't forget his issue: Is the Bronco better than the jeep on the road? ( Did not contrast off road capabilities of each one against the other) So even if this is his first four wheeler or even if he never intends to go off road, it doesn't matter to his basic question. And his first point was that his prior Ford went a quarter million miles-check. Point two is the ecoboost probably gets better mpg than the jeep gas engine-check. Point three is Bronco has better tech offerings-check. Point four is the doors and roof panels are more conducive to easier removal (and in the case of the Bronco, onboard storage)-check. Based on the issues he raised, the Bronco seems to be the better fit.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How are the 35's to balance if you dont mind me asking, after seeing some stuff on here and other things online it seems like a lot of people have trouble keeping the 35 and above balanced. I know not every tire is the same but it cant hurt to ask. Was asking because I was thinking about going Sasquatch, but was nervous when it comes time to get new tires or even how they would act overtime. Also, what wheels are those, really like them.
Fuel off road “anza” model wheels.

Balancing can (but rarely) be a problem. If any tire monkey says it needed more than 4 oz to balance the tire tell them to rotate the tire 90 degrees on the rim and rebalance again. Once I got away from hankook tires (the hankook dynapro was the highest rated MT in 2016 by off road magazine so I tried them) and got the BFgoodrich KO2 I never had a balancing problem.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure some things will be better and others not ;)
Sponsored