Sponsored

Is my wife right that I'm nuts, or am I brilliant??? Please gut check me!!

OP
OP

Ryan Feilner

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think that both you and your wife are right. I say why not go for it?. I'm sure you'll break even at bare minimum.
Personally, I will continue to wait for mine, but I'll get exactly what i want from factory. I'm a simple man...which doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun while you can! Cheers!
I'd just wait for the Wild Trak. Reasons 1) I hate dealing with sales people and car dealerships 2) probable best to keep the wife happy (even if she's wrong) 3) short term capital gains tax on the sale of the Outer Banks Bronco. if you sell it for a profit.

To me personally, it's just not worth the hassle.
Full disclosure I have switched cars 3 times over the pandemic. First one make 12.5k, second one made 11k, and the one I have now will make 3k on. People just want them more than I do... I have extra time and love selling my vehicles out right and enjoy dealing with the dealers as I used to be in sales and get entertained by their efforts. Not sure on the capital gains part though... Told my accountant what I have been doing, and he never said I needed to disclose or pay capital gains. Not sure the system is used to people profiting from short ownership as this type of is a rarity.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ryan Feilner

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My only thought is that by the time you get your WT the Bronco may just be another vehicle on the dealers lot. I would think (no body really knows) by that time things like the chips, and supply issues will be smoothed out. If that happens your estimate of 53/55K for the OBX will be too high, and you could lose a lot of money. Good luck on your decision.
Good points. Glad I can hear the feedback and give me some perspectives. Thinking I need to go mow the yard now! (make the wife happy :) ) Will check back in!

OP
OP

Ryan Feilner

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What’s tax title license fees in your area. In ca it’s 10%. So add another $5k to your $52k out the door.

Also don’t count the price if your used Bronco in a year. We don’t know what they will be selling for then.

Basic question is, would you rather drive a Bronco or Tacoma? I’ve had both. The 2.3 4.7 3 pedal Bronco is badass!
You would think so, but no. In MO the Tacoma was less than the car I sold so I paid $0 in taxes. I kept my plates and paid honestly I think $46 and was done. Just had to update the sticker to the new month. Feel bad for all of you living in some of those other states. Especially CA. That's why my question is unique as most on here cant switch cars so effortlessly.

And yes good point on the price in a year :(.... It's a gamble

Any yes I hate my taco... Nice truck, but in the midwest I feel like I'm having napolionic issues.

I'm about 50/50 at this point, appreciate the the thoughts!

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sooo I'm having a hard time waiting over here.... Scared I wont get my baby till 2023... And nothing to have fun with this summer with the family.

Let me start off by saying I lose nothing on taxes when switching cars per my state, and only pay the difference. So if I sell a 45k car and buy a 49k one I only pay the 4k difference and $50 licensing to the state. No biggie or I'm out only $50's in my opinion.

The situation:

I have a White WT on order with hard top/2.7/leather/High/Lux pkg and the 3.0 Hoss... Placed it 2/1/22, updated to Hoss 3.0 on 3/9. Yes I know you have been waiting longer & hope you get yours before I do!

However.... from my dealer I have been offered a new white Outerbanks (Hitting the ground in 2 weeks), soft/2.3/High pkg for only 3k over sticker. Mind you this is a sticker prior to the new price hikes... So I'm telling myself its really only $1,700 over sticker. Total $48,395 all in.

I plan on putting 35's and black wheels with a 2" lift. Nothing crazy, maybe an extra 3.5k, so $52,000 all in. Just get it to look like a proportioned Bronco.

Then when the WT Bronco on order comes in I'll sell the Outerbanks for say 53k-55k and put 1k-3k in my pocket.

Yes I know their selling for more, and maybe it does.... but not counting on it. Breaking even is a win for me!

My question for the group:

1) Is my wife right that I'm crazy and should calm the hell down and go mow the lawn and wait for my WT on order.
2) Is this brilliant and if you could you would do the exact same thing?
3) Is my math right on this, and if I sell at the time I get me WT I could at least break even? Or do you feel there would be a profit, and if so your thoughts on how much? (I will use these opinions in my case to her for doing this)

This seems like a no brainer, please gut check me :)
So, I had a similar situation to yours. I had a loaded 2dr WT on order with a first 10 minute reservation. When I got pushed to MY22 I started looking for an SUV gap vehicle until the WT arrives. I had bought a 21 Ranger about 5 months earlier, but wanted to keep that.
I got a call from my dealership offering me. 4dr BB with Sig Lighting Mid pkg for a $5k markup…..which, at the time wasn’t bad since the markup on used anything was $5k.
The wife was not a fan of the deal and thought I was crazy, but I did it anyways and have put about $2,600 in accessories and tires.
My plan was to trade the BB in on the WT when it arrives (currently at ice mountain), but now the wife loves the Cactus Gray 4dr with the soft top and wants to keep both Broncos.
Now, I think she’s crazy. My how the worm has turned.

Sponsored

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you modify the vehicle, you will lose money.
If you're willing to leave the Bronco stock, you'll PROBABLY come out OK and I'd go for it.

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Discounted Broncos will be a thing soon. It’s the normal supply and demand pendulum coupled with high gas and inflation. If you buy something you don’t want, mod it, put miles on it, then be prepared to eat all the taxes paid plus 10k depreciation. Minimum. Soon Ford will be overproducing these as demand is rapidly tapering off. Everyone who “had to have one” has already ordered. There is no market left by the end of this year.

Plus ADM is wrong period. You have a Tacoma to go play in. Play the long game here. You have the best Bronco made on order. Why risk affordability of it on the mall crawler version?

BUDXR7

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (hopefully)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why don’t you just keep your current daily driver and go buy a $10k Jeep TJ. They’re a blast to drive and hold their value just as well as a Tacoma or bronco. You will get your kicks out of it. I don’t think they make good daily drivers because they’re so small but you just might fall in love with it. Unload when your WT arrives in 2024.

disclaimer - I just got my TJ out this weekend because we had nice weather up in MA. It is going to be hard to get rid of it when the bronco arrives. And I just bought to hold me over, like you. If my bronco was a 4 door auto, no way I’d sell the jeep. But my bronco will be a 2 door stick so it’s really too similar to the jeep to keep both.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here’s some math. Life is uncertain. You may only live five more years. Do you want 20% of those years to be without a Bronco?

My other math is the wife is correct 100% of the time. It’s our job as husbands to sometimes make it not about the math.

PaulMedik

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.valleysportspics.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
'A bird in hand.....' Buy now and enjoy. I ordered a WildTrak in 2020 and it's not here yet. In the mean time I ordered another and am enjoying my Big Bend while my WildTrak sits in Wayne MI waiting for Convoy shipment. I have had my Big Bend since September and will trade or sell it for more than I paid for it. I also have a WildTrak 2 door ordered since last July that I will not likely get this year, but when it arrives I'll park my 4 door WildTrak beside it and decide which one to drive home in; and given the time that will have passed I should break even on that sale as well.

Sponsored

Broncodawg4

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did something similar, and my Bronco on order is built, but sitting on ice mountain. I was able to get basically the same build though, for a small markup, and was able to get white instead of cactus gray that I ordered(changed my mind on the color after the build was scheduled). When my cactus gray comes in May, or whenever it gets off ice mountain, ill check with Carmax and Carvana. If they’re willing to give me over MSRP at the time, I’ll buy it and sell to them. If not, I’ll let the dealer keep it. I’m keeping the one that I’ve got now, and getting it now has definitely been worth it!

Traillme

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If money isn’t an issue and your wife is happy with her ride - do it. My kids love my Bronco and I’m pumped for the warmer weather.

I don’t like ADM but 3k in this market for a non reservation maker isn’t the end of the world and if other dealers hadn’t been crazy with the 10-20k there would be much less of a stink around reasonable ADM.

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I understand how you feel. I would go mow the lawn and wait for your WT. Although the wait has been difficult, there is something rewarding about waiting for your new Bronco that you special-ordered. As long as demand exceeds supply, prices will hold or maybe rise. But once Ford gets production dialed-in, I would not count on turning a used one for a profit in these uncertain times.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep the Tacoma for now and definitely don’t pay over MSRP. The Bronco is cool but no vehicle is worth ADM.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Your wife might want the outerbanks
Sponsored