indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for your input. I want something more exciting than just a practical SUV or car. I was having cold feet, but there have been some really good thoughts. Probably the best advice I have gotten so far relates to "what can I put up with". I can put up with a rough ride and road noise. I hate my current boring SUV and I would much rather have something fun. I am limited to what I can buy for appearance reasons (needs to be domestic, and can't be too expensive looking). The Bronco will fit the bill for me to get something fun that also works practically for getting to job sites. Thanks again.
I hear ya. I would say though, "exciting" is actually doing real exciting things. Meaning take the Bronco off-road, or at least the top off, and actually do something exciting with it. The opposite of excitement would be buying a vehicle like this, and only driving to work or the mall.

For my part, I'm very much not into the imaginary play-acting reason for buying things. In the end, I think people having real excitement/adventure doing real things in the Bronco, will be glad they did, instead of doing the Walter Mitty thing. Just my 2 cents in terms of living life. :)
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, please cancel all reservations immediately. “This Bronco is not for you”, signed Obi Won.

Throwing out some mad Jedi tricks.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a long commute as well. Milage will add up fast. Concerned about same thing, plus I was Manual Trans which means smaller engine. Im thinking at the least I may have to ditch the manual trans for a bigger engine.
what does a smaller engine or manual have to do with not being suitable for long commute?

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I suspect the Bronco will work well enough and be a lot more fun than most other options.

I would not do Sasquatch if the bulk of the use was that sort of commute.

Like some other folks, I think the OBX will be the best trim level for your commute.

If the OBX looks too bland (less aggressive wheels/tires, body-colored fender flares, door handles, and mirror caps), then I'd say Badlands without the Sasquatch is a good option.

Don't forget, you can always reserve and then refuse to buy if you don't like how it drives.

OTOH, I second the idea of looking the new Hummer. The reveal is tomorrow, and they will have a truck version and an SUV version. They are all electric. As such, they will have a good bit more power. I'd pay attention to the range for them, once they release the specs. Of some note, you can also remove the roof panels.

Good luck!

Sponsored

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

99% of the people driving around massive SUVs, trucks, and 4x4s would be better served with a small hatchback.

Drive what you want.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Also keep in mind that the 2.3 has been around for a while now but that 2.7 is new and issues will be unknown until a few years down the line.
070D92CF-5D4F-469E-9024-7E5F560EB88F.jpeg

I think 2.7(gen 1) came out in 2015 and 2.7(gen 2 DI/PI) came out in 2018. Not exactly a new engine.

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

what does a smaller engine or manual have to do with not being suitable for long commute?
Many here have posted concerns about the 2.3 turbo and longevity. Just search 2.3 turbo and you’ll find a bunch of different threads on it. I’ve only ever had V6 engines and had great luck in well over 200K miles so I can only go by my experience w V6 and what I hear on the 2.3. Im a commuter, not a guy who takes apart engines and knows anything about carbon buildup. The general consensus here has been the V6 may hold up longer over time. I’d be happy to hear more support on the 2.3 over 200 K miles.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have to ask... is this the design they are really going with for the cybertruck?

Ford Bronco Is the Bronco wrong for me? 070D92CF-5D4F-469E-9024-7E5F560EB88F

Because that thing looks like a joke, I mean seriously, a 5 year old could come up with a better design.
What do you mean? A 5 year old DID come up with that design. Not sure when an actual adult took over, but I know his ass was high as a kite.

Big takeaway is; Tesla needs mandatory drug testing. Or we could just legalize..... Just sayin.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I currently have a boring 7 passenger SUV that I drive for work. I drive 80 mile round trip for work (easy traffic, mostly highway). I need the capability of an SUV to visit construction jobsites. Traditionally, I had driven trucks, but didn't need the truck bed. I still have a truck too, and I rarely drive it. My plan was to get the Bronco and get rid of both the SUV and the truck (truck will retire to our farm). Is my mileage wrong for the Bronco? Money isn't an issue with initial purchase, but worried about total cost to own. Planning on Badlands or Wildtrak.
I'm an electrician and have a similar setup, though my car is a smaller Subaru Crosstrek. I need to sometimes carry work related stuff in it and am replacing it with a 4-door Bronco for the same reasons. I need to be able to comfortably haul my family of five and two dogs (Geez I need to stop adding dependents to my life...) on the weekends and be able to fit an 8' ladder as well. Believe it or not my little Crosstrek can and has held an 8' ladder and metal signs 8'x2'x1'. I feel that this will be just fine depending if you need to transport more than a family of five. But do you need to tow? The Bronco likely only has a 3,500 lbs tow capacity. :-/

And as far as fuel economy, I don't know which trim level it becomes standard on, but there's a slightly taller final gear ratio with the base model that'll help you get better gas mileage in theory. While I don't commute as long as you, I will be making mine as fuel efficient as I can, though I insist on A/Ts. I don't know your driving style, but I'm often likened to a grandpa by co-workers and my wife, and get great gas mileage in everything I drive but especially manuals. Not trying to be condescending, but driving at a low speed for the highway in the highest gear can't hurt. Keep your tires inflated and avoid the Sasquatch. The Badlands comes with 32.5s" I think which shouldn't have nearly the rotating mass as the Sasquatch 34.5".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm an electrician and have a similar setup, though my car is a smaller Subaru Crosstrek. I need to sometimes carry work related stuff in it and am replacing it with a 4-door Bronco for the same reasons. I need to be able to comfortably haul my family of five and two dogs (Geez I need to stop adding dependents to my life...) on the weekends and be able to fit an 8' ladder as well. Believe it or not my little Crosstrek can and has held an 8' ladder and metal signs 8'x2'x1'. I feel that this will be just fine depending if you need to transport more than a family of five. But do you need to tow? The Bronco likely only has a 3,500 lbs tow capacity. :-/
OP here. Do you haul all that stuff inside the Crosstrek? I used to haul material inside Explorers, and then I realized that they would be projectiles if I got in an accident. I switched to trucks until I no longer needed to carry materials. I don't really need to haul materials, but I do have a wife and 2 kids, so an SUV is nice. I was gung ho on the Bronco as of yesterday, but then the X Plan stuff pissed me off. It isn't a deal breaker, but it certainly makes me think harder. I have reached out to another dealer so that I at least have two dealers to price from.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP here. Do you haul all that stuff inside the Crosstrek? I used to haul material inside Explorers, and then I realized that they would be projectiles if I got in an accident. I switched to trucks until I no longer needed to carry materials. I don't really need to haul materials, but I do have a wife and 2 kids, so an SUV is nice. I was gung ho on the Bronco as of yesterday, but then the X Plan stuff pissed me off. It isn't a deal breaker, but it certainly makes me think harder. I have reached out to another dealer so that I at least have two dealers to price from.
I've hauled a 360 lbs 5'x3'x3' gun safe, a ladder and other equipment, two of those big metal 8' long signs I already mentioned, cut in half regular size plywood pieces, etc.

As far as safety, if you tie it down it can't go anywhere? There's a couple points I've used to tie down inside the car. For the Bronco I'll just lash a ladder to the roof rack. It's rare I need to use it for work but I like the option. I'm union so we're supposed to use company trucks for that ya know.

Sorry to hear about the X-plan, but I don't really know what that means other than some sort of financial benefit to y'all.

I'm planning on getting mine from Iowa (Granger Ford) as their terms address everything (I worked for Nissan for four years and would like to think I know what I'm doing as I've sold hundreds of cars) and offer the most up front savings at $2,000 below invoice. I live in Houston, Texas, so it'll be fun getting it back but I can take a day off work and kill a weekend at some point.

If you or anyone else wants me to look over an offer I don't mind. I will say that I'll give unbiased advice. Dealers don't make the kind of money on each sale that many on here must think they do, though there are some dealers with more integrity than others (I was lucky my first and only experience happened to be a good one).

Good luck!

OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've hauled a 360 lbs 5'x3'x3' gun safe, a ladder and other equipment, two of those big metal 8' long signs I already mentioned, cut in half regular size plywood pieces, etc.

As far as safety, if you tie it down it can't go anywhere? There's a couple points I've used to tie down inside the car. For the Bronco I'll just lash a ladder to the roof rack. It's rare I need to use it for work but I like the option. I'm union so we're supposed to use company trucks for that ya know.

Sorry to hear about the X-plan, but I don't really know what that means other than some sort of financial benefit to y'all.

I'm planning on getting mine from Iowa (Granger Ford) as their terms address everything (I worked for Nissan for four years and would like to think I know what I'm doing as I've sold hundreds of cars) and offer the most up front savings at $2,000 below invoice. I live in Houston, Texas, so it'll be fun getting it back but I can take a day off work and kill a weekend at some point.

If you or anyone else wants me to look over an offer I don't mind. I will say that I'll give unbiased advice. Dealers don't make the kind of money on each sale that many on here must think they do, though there are some dealers with more integrity than others (I was lucky my first and only experience happened to be a good one).

Good luck!
I am 180 miles from Granger, so I keep thinking about switching. I am worried that they aren't going to be able to keep up. I can get within $2-3k of their deal, I will just buy local and hopefully be able to get it sooner. Who knows? Taking away X-Plan just leaves me with a sour taste. They are turning an easy process into something more difficult.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am 180 miles from Granger, so I keep thinking about switching. I am worried that they aren't going to be able to keep up. I can get within $2-3k of their deal, I will just buy local and hopefully be able to get it sooner. Who knows? Taking away X-Plan just leaves me with a sour taste. They are turning an easy process into something more difficult.
The only information I found on the X-plan in general is that it's for family or friends of employees. Can you link me or tell me what it all entails so I can understand why everyone's irritated? Thank you.
Sponsored