J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If gas mileage and long term cost of ownership is important to you then an AWD Rav4 would probably do you best, if you don't need the full size SUV room (but then you'd not be getting a Bronco either). They also have a hybrid model now but it's paired with a CVT (which I hate) while the regular has a traditional Automatic Transmission. Going to get over 10mpg better on the highway and still have just enough capability for construction sites or forest roads.

Now you won't be taking it on the trail but you could buy both a lightly used, decently optioned Rav4 and an older Jeep for weekend fun on the trails and still come in well under an OBX. It's honestly what I was going to do but I don't have the room/money for 2 vehicles like that, gonna "slum it" with the 2 door base myself.
Sponsored

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep has the 4xe coming in December. It's a PHEV. Assuming you have a place to plug in at work, you could drive 50 miles of your commute on all electric. They are quoting an MPGe of 50 miles. And when both engines kick in, you get 375hp and 470 lb-ft of torque.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Regardless of gas mileage, it all depends on how you like to comfortably sit for your commute. I have a JKU and i’m ok with the (non existing) comfort. I ouke that I can have a “convertible” car that can tow my trailer and not being afraid of going on dirt roads.

My wife hates it and always says I can keep the tractor.
She used to have a Durango R/T (fun, loud, non boring SUV IMHO). She now has an X5, awesomely comfy and a little boring I think.

A friend of mine bought a Wrangler because he loved the idea of having one. After 3 weeks of commute he sold it back...

no idea how the Bronco will actually behave on highway, I believe it’s gonna be better that a Jeep. Will is be as comfortable as a full size SUV, I’d say no...

Last edited:

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am asking myself the same question, but for the opposite reason - we put 10k miles a year COMBINED across two cars, and always have low mile leases. BUYING a NEW car sounds like a very bad financial decision. But then again, we never fully utilize our lease allocations anyway, and theres no certainty that you could get back lease equity during COVID, given dealers are turning away extra used inventory.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Regardless of gas mileage, it all depends on how you like to comfortably sit for your commute. I have a JKU and i’m ok with the (non existing) comfort. I ouke that I can have a “convertible” car that can tow my trailer and not being afraid of going on dirt roads.

My wife hates it and always says I can keep the tractor.
She used to have a Durango R/T (fun, loud, non boring SUV IMHO). She now has an X5, awesomely comfy and a little boring I think.

A friend of mine bought a Wrangler because he love the idea of having one. After 3 weeks of commute he sold it back...

no idea how the Bronco will actually behave on highway, I believe it’s gonna be better that a Jeep. Will is be as comfortable as a full size SUC, I’d say no...
Good points. People keep responding with boring cars to buy. I don't want a Camry or a Rav4. I am trying to get out of a situation where I hate my car. I am going to be the only one in my car for a majority of the time. I can put up with road noise, rough ride, etc. My wife has a 2019 Navigator, and that is the vehicle we drive when we go places. This Bronco is for me. Now my question is, do I sasquatch?

OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When did you make your reservation? That is really the deciding factor for me to advise you on your purchase.
Reservation was on 8/6. With my local dealer that I buy 3-5 vehicles a year from (for work). Hoping that garners me some preference.

mkennedy009

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Triumph Bonneville T100 110th Anniversary
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are fine, keep the reservation. Remember it is a personal choice.

My only concern about not test driving the Bronco is the seating position. If I absolutely hate the seats and they give me back my paratrooper knees, I will sell the the highest bidder.
For us early reservations, we should have a few months where the 'resale' will be higher or at MSRP for a lightly used Bronco.

Exciting times.

Reservation was on 8/6. With my local dealer that I buy 3-5 vehicles a year from (for work). Hoping that garners me some preference.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.This Bronco is for me. Now my question is, do I sasquatch?
Great question!
Ai am wondering the same. I am going 2 doors since kids have grown up.
35” look great, i absolutely don’t need them! But damn they look good!

Syphon

Black Diamond
First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I currently have a boring 7 passenger SUV that I drive for work. I drive 80 mile round trip for work (easy traffic, mostly highway). I need the capability of an SUV to visit construction jobsites. Traditionally, I had driven trucks, but didn't need the truck bed. I still have a truck too, and I rarely drive it. My plan was to get the Bronco and get rid of both the SUV and the truck (truck will retire to our farm). Is my mileage wrong for the Bronco? Money isn't an issue with initial purchase, but worried about total cost to own. Planning on Badlands or Wildtrak.
First, I hear ya. I currently have a 99 expedition XLT that I drive daily to work. My fuel consumption is ridiculous, but it's my baby and I love my truck. I will be getting a new Bronco, Black Diamond. My expy has 35 A/Ts and it's fine. I really just want a new vehicle. Working in the tire industry, I say go for it but stay away from Mud terrain tires. Also, I wouldn't worry about miles you put on. Preventive maintenance is KEY! Stay on top of the maintenance and you should be fine. My wifes car is a 2013 kia optima sxl. I was worried at first but just stayed on top of regular maintenance and the car runs like new. 153k on a 2.0l GDI turbo charged engine! It's strong and runs great! I don't go off road too much but would like to be able to if I wanted! Hopefully my long ass reply helps your decision making.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EDIT: didn't read all the replys before chiming in, but whatever....

If your reservation number is really low and you're in front of me, then YES, the Bronco is wrong for you and you should drop cancel your reservation.

If not, then go ahead and get the Bronco... if you hate it, I'm fairly certain it will sell easily, possibly at a profit.
LOL!

Last edited:

cjduffie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MISC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Absolutely. But I very much disagree about the adaptive cruise control. I drive all day in a work van in stop and go, highway etc. I set the cruise every single chance I get so I can relax my feet and my legs. I have the cruise control in my Challenger and I wish I had it on my van, it’s a life saver and makes driving with cruise so enjoyable. Instead of having to turn it off, then turn it on, off, on, off on. It’s frustrating.
I think we're on the same page. My point is that its frustrating that wanting that option alone means the bottom 3 models and bottom 2 trims are off the table. I feel the same with steering heat.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I currently have a boring 7 passenger SUV that I drive for work. I drive 80 mile round trip for work (easy traffic, mostly highway). I need the capability of an SUV to visit construction jobsites. Traditionally, I had driven trucks, but didn't need the truck bed. I still have a truck too, and I rarely drive it. My plan was to get the Bronco and get rid of both the SUV and the truck (truck will retire to our farm). Is my mileage wrong for the Bronco? Money isn't an issue with initial purchase, but worried about total cost to own. Planning on Badlands or Wildtrak.
Bronco sounds wrong for your usage. Buy something that performs better on pavement and gets better fuel mileage. A car or possibly an SUV having some additional clearance for the construction site. My advice, buy for the qualities and capabilities you will actually use in real life, not for the imagination.

OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco sounds wrong for your usage. Buy something that performs better on pavement and gets better fuel mileage. A car or possibly an SUV having some additional clearance for the construction site. My advice, buy for the qualities and capabilities you will actually use in real life, not for the imagination.
Thanks for your input. I want something more exciting than just a practical SUV or car. I was having cold feet, but there have been some really good thoughts. Probably the best advice I have gotten so far relates to "what can I put up with". I can put up with a rough ride and road noise. I hate my current boring SUV and I would much rather have something fun. I am limited to what I can buy for appearance reasons (needs to be domestic, and can't be too expensive looking). The Bronco will fit the bill for me to get something fun that also works practically for getting to job sites. Thanks again.
Sponsored