Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is the extended warranty worth it? $45/mo. bumper to bumper.
Haven't heard about any major issue's with the Bronco.

Trying to figure out if I'm better off buying the warranty at purchase or if I should just put $50 a month is car repair fund.
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is a gamble. But I've read about enough problems to persuade me to do it. Things are really expensive now, so paying 2k for a premium 10 yr warranty with $50 deductible seemed really fair. One problem could cost 2k.
Plus, it's a ford, not a Honda.

Get it through granger.
And it came to like 1700 after using ford points, so it was kind of a no brainer

But maybe I totall the car tomorrow, then I'd be out that money. Those are the things I considered before buying.

Also, (I had another point, but I forgot it)

Oh... the earlier you get the warranty the cheaper it is. I was going to wait until the 3 year warranty was up to buy, but with additional years and miles the price goes up.

Is basically a gamble, it's insurance,, hopefully I never need it

Last edited:

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do not finance the warranty through your dealer, buy it at $50 over cost from Granger.

The warranty is worth it if you will keep the vehicle more than 5 years and think you will have 1 major repair in that time.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have the manual??

Sponsored

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But maybe I totall the car tomorrow, then I'd be out that money. Those are the things I considered before buying.
You can cancel the extended warranty at anytime for any reason and receive a prorated refund for the unused time or mileage, less a $375 processing fee.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is the extended warranty worth it? $45/mo. bumper to bumper.
Haven't heard about any major issue's with the Bronco.

Trying to figure out if I'm better off buying the warranty at purchase or if I should just put $50 a month is car repair fund.
Not through ford its not. Fords warranty for most everything you need a defense lawyer to get it covered. Took me 6 months to have my mirror replaced on my f350 becuz of plastic gears stripping inside mirror. Had to go back 3 times for 20 pictures of mirror and then took 3 months for response from ford. Had other issues as well. They try to get out of covering anything. I have used geico mechanical breakdown for last 10 years now. I can go to whomever I choose for work to be done. Covered no questions asked 250 deductible and rental covered. Has no bearing on rates. Costs me 35 bucks per 6 months for coverage.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Warranty (like comprehensive insurance coverage) is always gamble. Chances are as long as you are taking care of your vehicle, any major issues you have will occur within the first 3 years of ownership—which is within the factory warranty period. BUT, on the off chance your transmission fails during year 5, you're going to wish you had that warranty. And of course if your transmission doesn't blow up... that warranty is just pissing away money into the wind.

My personal opinion?? If you have more than one vehicle, don't buy extended warranty. It's better to put money into a repair fund that can be used on any of your vehicles. In addition, if your Bronco has a major issue, you have other vehicles you can drive until the Bronco gets repaired.

On the flip side, if the Bronco is your only vehicle, you need that vehicle to live your life, than a warranty can make a lot of sense.

---

I should note that many people who forego a warranty in favor of the repair fund end up screwing themselves. That repair fund never really materializes because they simply find something else to spend the money on, and when they need that repair fund the money isn't there. I know several people who buy a warranty simply because they know they aren't disciplined enough to have a maintenance/repair fund and would rather just buy the warranty so they don't have to think about it. So if you go the repair fund route, you have to be disciplined about it.

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm really tempted to go ahead and buy the extended warranty on the Bronco. I bought a new 17 BMW X5, didn't buy the warranty, and have had zero issues with it. But, it's a BMW. Built and engineered very well, plus I'm a maintenance fanatic, and I don't drive my vehicles hard.

So on the Bronco, even though I'm careful with it and I maintain it and wash/wax it more in 6 monnths than most people would in a lifetime...still, it's a tossup. Ford's ain't built like BMW's and nothing is cheap to fix anymore. But...just stashing $100 a month in a fund is really tempting as well. You just have to have enough discipline to do it - and to never touch it, for anything other than car maintenance.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Pre-pandemic I would have said yes, absolutely if you are keeping it past the base warranty.

Talking to people at dealers and those that have left recently there is a big animosity towards warranty work.
High level techs are fleeing dealerships due to reduced labor rates on warranty work.

Extended warranties are great a moneymaker for Ford and and the dealer when they sell it but it hurts the techs and the service departments.

So yeah the warranty may cover an issue, but the skill may not be there at the dealer to fix it. You can see that here in the manual transmission thread where several have said that their dealer doesn't have a tech that can work the trans.

In going to wait until my base warranty is almost up and decide. Will the dealer service issues be better or worse? If no, then I'll probably trade it in.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I picked up an Easycare TotalCare vehicle service contract that has a $250 deductible and essentially is bumper to bumper. It's what the Ford dealer near me sells, and I've used one of these plans previously with my Ford Focus. It paid for itself over the 7 years I had the vehicle. The Bronco one I had them write for 100,000 miles expecting some odd durability issues likely to pop up.

Faust

Badlands
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado - Company Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off... it's a Ford. That should give you a straight answer there. Farley even noted that quality is and has been their top issue for a while and thus hired a *guru*; however, it will be a while before we see the effect of this. They admitted that going with the lowest bid on parts isn't probably the best idea.

Secondly, if you get it from somewhere like Granger or Flood ford, it can be lower, higher or around $2k, depending on what you select/deductible for a 6-8 year 100k+ mile ESP.

I learned my lesson on all aspects of what I described above. I bought a mustang in 2012, and after around 40k miles, I needed the EVAP core replaced due to the AC only blowing hot air. Not fun in FL. Trust me. The total dealership quote was around $2k. Paid for the warranty just there. A rental/loaner was also provided.

So when I bought my first 2015 mustang (ecoboost), I didn't second guess buying the ESP. Guess what happened? I was on my way back home from the beach (2-hour drive), and a quarter of the trip back, the ac did the same exact thing as my 12 stang. Luckily, the car was still under the 36k warranty and was covered by default. I did not have to use the ESP on this car as I traded it in on a 15 GT. So I canceled the ESP for a prorated refund.

Guess what happened on my 15 GT? I know what you're thinking... but you're mistaken. You thought I missed the EcoBoost platform and returned to it from a GT. Wrong. My EVAP core went out. You'd never of guessed.

This time I was LITERALLY 200 miles over the 36k bumper-to-bumper. I was returning from North Carolina on I75 in the middle of Georgia during the summer. 90-plus-degree weather with a 4-hour drive still in front of me. Did I have the ESP? Absolutely. Another time the ESP paid for itself.

The moral of this long post - It's a Ford. They're aware of their quality issues. It's not the engine/transmission that worries me. It's more of the electronic bits and bobs that can be more costly in labor/parts and more prone to issues\sold to the lowest bidder. It's a relatively inexpensive investment into the vehicle if you plan to have it for a while. I'm not trying to sway you here, but as others have said... most of the gremlins should show themselves in the honeymoon period of your warranty. I've first-hand experience, twice, of what happens when they don't. You have up to the 36k mile mark to buy ESP. It's only slightly cheaper to buy it before then.

Moreover, There's an option for $75 to cover lighting (Bulbs/Signature lighting/etc.) I HIGHLY recommend that you pay for this as well. The premium care does NOT cover this stuff. Granted LED's last longer/more reliable than standard bulbs if they are to fail... you don't want to know how expensive this can be.

Last edited:

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First off... it's a Ford. That should give you a straight answer there. Farley even noted that quality is and has been their top issue for a while and thus hired a *guru*; however, it will be a while before we see the effect of this. They admitted that going with the lowest bid on parts isn't probably the best idea.

Secondly, if you get it from somewhere like Granger or Flood ford, it can be lower, higher or around $2k, depending on what you select/deductible for a 6-8 year 100k+ mile ESP.

I learned my lesson on all aspects of what I described above. I bought a mustang in 2012, and after around 40k miles, I needed the EVAP core replaced due to the AC only blowing hot air. Not fun in FL. Trust me. The total dealership quote was around $2k. Paid for the warranty just there. A rental/loaner was also provided.

So when I bought my first 2015 mustang (ecoboost), I didn't second guess buying the ESP. Guess what happened? I was on my way back home from the beach (2-hour drive), and a quarter of the trip back, the ac did the same exact thing as my 12 stang. Luckily, the car was still under the 36k warranty and was covered by default. I did not have to use the ESP on this car as I traded it in on a 15 GT. So I canceled the ESP for a prorated refund.

Guess what happened on my 15 GT? I know what you're thinking... but you're mistaken. You thought I missed the EcoBoost platform and returned to it from a GT. Wrong. My EVAP core went out. You'd never of guessed.

This time I was LITERALLY 200 miles over the 36k bumper-to-bumper. I was returning from North Carolina on I75 in the middle of Georgia during the summer. 90-plus-degree weather with a 4-hour drive still in front of me. Did I have the ESP? Absolutely. Another time the ESP paid for itself.

The moral of this long post - It's a Ford. They know quality is an issue. It's not the engine/transmission that worries me. It's more of the electronic bits and bobs that can be more costly in labor/parts and more prone to issues\sold to the lowest bidder. It's a relatively inexpensive investment into the vehicle if you plan to have it for a while. I'm not trying to sway you here, but as others have said... most of the gremlins should show themselves in the honeymoon period of your warranty. I've first-hand experience, twice, of what happens when they don't.

Moreover, There's an option for $75 to cover lighting (Bulbs/Signature lighting/etc.) I HIGHLY recommend that you pay for this as well. The premium care does NOT cover this stuff. Granted LED's last longer/more reliable than standard bulbs if they are to fail... you don't want to know how expensive this can be.
My dude I have a 16 GT and went through the same crap with the A/C. It's finally good.

My dealer is not great at troubleshooting, reviewing TSBs or going to corporate for help. With that said, every job they've done has always come out good in terms of fit and finish. Not a single mark on my interior after the evap core replaced and they actually fixed my janky glove box without me asking.

The problem was it took me calling corporate and emailing them the TSB to get it fixed finally. It was covered by ESP / Ford Protect no problem. Corporate has always taken care of me w/the ESP.

Faust

Badlands
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado - Company Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dude I have a 16 GT and went through the same crap with the A/C. It's finally good.

My dealer is not great at troubleshooting, reviewing TSBs or going to corporate for help. With that said, every job they've done has always come out good in terms of fit and finish. Not a single mark on my interior after the evap core replaced and they actually fixed my janky glove box without me asking.

The problem was it took me calling corporate and emailing them the TSB to get it fixed finally. It was covered by ESP / Ford Protect no problem. Corporate has always taken care of me w/the ESP.
That was literally my worry all three times I had to have the repair done, seeing as they had to completely remove the dash to do the work. I'm anal about that stuff.

On the GT the service advisor knew how I was and would only let a particular tech work on my car due to that lol.

It absolutely will happen to every single 15-17. It's just a matter of when. It appeared that the warmer states saw the largest amount failing. Makes sense due to use.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not through ford its not. Fords warranty for most everything you need a defense lawyer to get it covered. Took me 6 months to have my mirror replaced on my f350 becuz of plastic gears stripping inside mirror. Had to go back 3 times for 20 pictures of mirror and then took 3 months for response from ford. Had other issues as well. They try to get out of covering anything. I have used geico mechanical breakdown for last 10 years now. I can go to whomever I choose for work to be done. Covered no questions asked 250 deductible and rental covered. Has no bearing on rates. Costs me 35 bucks per 6 months for coverage.
Stories like this have me on the side of bypassing the extend coverage :(.
Sponsored