Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 2.7 in the Bronco is an absolute dog compared to the 2.7 in an F150. There is no debate here. I won’t speculate as to why, I’m not smart enough for that.

The 2.7 Bronco also gets smoked by a 2.3 Ranger.
F150 is 1000lbs+ lighter, depending on your cab.
Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m too lazy to look up the specs, but a 2.7 4 door outer banks is not 1000 lbs heavier than a 2.7 F150 crew cab.
My theory is it’s the trans. They keep a modest tune so the trans doesn’t prematurely fail. After all it is rated at 424 max Tq.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m too lazy to look up the specs, but a 2.7 4 door outer banks is not 1000 lbs heavier than a 2.7 F150 crew cab.
An interesting point. I noticed that neither you nor the person whose statement you are challenging have provided the actual numbers. It would be interesting to have the actual stats so it is not just a theoretical, opinion based argument.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.
This one still cracks me up almost a month later. If Mazda's 2.5 N/A engine fires up your cockles and feels "fast", then the basis for engine comparisons is going to be extravagant at best.*

*Full disclosure: I currently have a '18 Mazda6 GTR with the 2.5 turbo and owned a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 with the direct injected 2.3 turbo and have driven more than a few NA Mazda3's with the 2.5.

The 2.3 turbo in Bronco has to be driven like a small displacement turbocharged inline 4 because..... It is one. If you're driving a small displacement turbocharged off-road rig that weighs 2.5 tons as if it's a lightweight commuter car with a naturally aspirated engine, then what is the genuine connection you're trying to make here?

Those automatic transmissions are really starting to warp peoples realities! Maybe stay away from the automatics until sanity returns.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

An interesting point. I noticed that neither you nor the person whose statement you are challenging have provided the actual numbers. It would be interesting to have the actual stats so it is not just a theoretical, opinion based argument.
I guess your just as lazy as I am.

2020 Ford F‑150 Lariat 2.7L V6 4WD SuperCrew Cab Shortbed Curb Weight: 4,859 lbs

2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2.7L V6 4WD Curb Weight: 4661 lbs

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2020 Ford F‑150 Lariat 2.7L V6 4WD SuperCrew Cab Shortbed Curb Weight: 4,859 lbs

As stated. Literally depends on your cab.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Actually the assertion and initial lack of an answer was on you, not me. As was your admission of being lazy. If I assert something, I back it up.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is it really detuned though? I know there's been some debates about this but I haven't seen any actual proof.
Well I found a 2.7 dyno test on YT in 5th gear to redline. It made over 370 ft/lbs of torque and nearly 295 whp from just over 3000 RPM all the way to redline. It was an insanely flat HP curve (needs to be an insanely flat torque curve really). I still want to see what's happening in 1st gear, because it should launch hard off the line with as much torque as it is capable of bringing to the party.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well I found a 2.7 dyno test on YT in 5th gear to redline. It made over 370 ft/lbs of torque and nearly 295 whp from just over 3000 RPM all the way to redline. It was an insanely flat HP curve (needs to be an insanely flat torque curve really). I still want to see what's happening in 1st gear, because it should launch hard off the line with as much torque as it is capable of bringing to the party.

It probably has some nasty torque management to protect the tranny. Some tuners eliminate or reduce it. I think 5star keeps those parameters the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What do you mean when talk about jeep having crappy engine choices...? Jeep offers a V8 engine & a diesel engine option to choose from. It don't get much better than that IMO...
V8, although nice, is overkill AND over priced. Can't really compare it to a Bronco simply because it is in a different price class.

The Diesel, absolutely love, if it were not for the very costly 3 sins: DEF, DPF, EGR

The 3.6 is a solid engine, does not have modern DI so isn't very efficient, but also doesn't have a carbon build-up issues. However has the lowest HP and Torque of all the engines in the discussion (including the Bronco) And also doesn't do very well at higher altitudes do to it being NA.

And then there is the 2.0T, which is most likely the engine I would end up having to go with. After driving the Bronco with the 2.7, and ruling out any possibility of owning the 2.3, buying a four-door Rubicon with a 2.0 sounds unrealistic. But I've driven one and it pulls hard. Folks have also put larger tires on the 2.0 and it's done fine.... All while getting much better MPG than anything that Bronco offers.

So yeah...engine choices suck...Bronco was to be the king on paper, but like this whole launch, somehow even that got f'd up.

And there are plenty of other posts on the forum now that others have been able to drive the Bronco, And they too report back that there's something lacking with the 2.7s real world drivability performance.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you're driving a small displacement turbocharged off-road rig that weighs 2.5 tons as if it's a lightweight commuter car with a naturally aspirated engine, then what is the genuine connection you're trying to make here?
Simply to point out that when most people hear v6 twin turbo, they perceive something with some balls.

But instead, apparently in the Bronco you need all that just to get it to drive like a normal car.

I would have expected all the extra HP and torque to make a difference, but I guess the weight to Power ratio is just to unbalanced.
Sponsored