The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man I live in the south in an area where you never hear of car theft we all have guns.
Unrelated, but nothing says "Break into this vehicle: I have valuable items inside!" like a bunch of 2A/NRA/AR15/Glock/etc. stickers. Literally every person I know that's had their truck broken into had a gun (or guns) stolen from it, and they all wondered 'why me?!?'. I'm like "Dumbass, you had signs telling thieves that you had expensive stuff in the truck".

I have firearms in my car all the time (not because I'm one of those delusional 'gotta be ready for the zombies!' preppers, just because I drive places to shoot recreationally), but you'd never know it from outside.
Sponsored

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the problem with a thrill vehicle like Jeep, Bronco, Vette is that kids, even in a low crime area, will spontaneously take them for a short, destructive run.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if i lock my f250 or my explorer or my bronco by using the keypad you can break whatever windows you want. truck isn't going anywhere. the security systems in these vehicles are way more sophisticated. I have three fords that the keys never come out of. Keypad use only.
So in theory the keypad can be used to 'lock' the vehicle even with the doors off? Meaning it would effectively disable the ignition and tailgate until unlocked with the code?

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only "south" I know of that doesn't have car theft is south Canada

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had the keypad on my 150 and I liked it so much I got it for my new bronco. The difference is that the 150 had a regular key start and the bronco has a button as you are aware. I often hid the keys in my 150 and used the keypad to lock and unlock the doors. Never had a problem. I haven’t tried it yet but will the bronco lock with the keypad when the fob is in it? I know that a Lexus will not lock with the fob inside it. I’ll have to check it out tomorrow. In any case, does anyone know the process for changing the keypad code? I know it can be done but forget how to do it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wild stuff. Me I am just nervous about having a key that isnt a flat piece of metal. I've barely even had the ones with plastic covers on em!

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only "south" I know of that doesn't have car theft is south Canada
Only time i had an issue was in Toronto. Girl tried walking up to my 650i and tried to yank the door open. When I yelled from across the street she ran off.

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So in theory the keypad can be used to 'lock' the vehicle even with the doors off? Meaning it would effectively disable the ignition and tailgate until unlocked with the code?
Lol……not sure about that since the keypad on the f250 is hard wired (I believe). I’m not taking my doors off to test it either. I’ll be at my Ford dealer today and I’ll ask my master tech buddy a few questions.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, where do you live? Do you think a spark plug tip will still break a window? The intruder will now have your keys and your truck. Insurance will give you a pretty hard time for leaving keys in the truck.
I guess the question could also be: Where do you live that you have to worry about people breaking your windows?

I would never try this is San Diego. I've had multiple vehicles stolen when we lived in Southern California.

But at a lake in Northern Arizona? Or fishing in Minnesota? Or hiking deep in the woods in an area where you need to worry more about bears than car theives?

Sure, insurance may not pay for a stolen car with traditional keys left inside, but it would be interesting to know if they would cover a stolen Bronco with a disabled keyfob inside?

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can program it yourself in a couple minutes, super easy.
Do you have the programming instructions? I've not been able to find them, and I asked my dealer (Granger) and they said it HAD to be programmed by them. If you have the instructions, I'd love to save the programming fee.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been using the keypad on my Ford vehicles for years.

I'm an ultra-runner here in Colorado and running mountain trails several times a week. I never take my key with me. I have always locked my key in the vehicle and use the keypad to lock it. I'll do the same with the Bronco. Oh, and Fordpass won't be an option for me up in the mountains because I'm out of cell range most of the time.

The keypad is simply an option that some will use on a regular basis and some won't. If you don't think you'll use it, then don't buy it.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you have the programming instructions? I've not been able to find them, and I asked my dealer (Granger) and they said it HAD to be programmed by them. If you have the instructions, I'd love to save the programming fee.
Well it appears Granger is probably correct. I know I have seen a version of this keypad that can be self programmed like a spare key. When pulling up the instructions specific to 2021 Bronco I only find dealer required installation.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/accessory_files/2020_RF_Keypad_D3.pdf

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The keypad can be reprogrammed by the user from inside the vehicle. The entry codes for all three of my Fords is the same.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well it appears Granger is probably correct. I know I have seen a version of this keypad that can be self programmed like a spare key. When pulling up the instructions specific to 2021 Bronco I only find dealer required installation.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/accessory_files/2020_RF_Keypad_D3.pdf
The keypad can be reprogrammed by the user from inside the vehicle. The entry codes for all three of my Fords is the same.
The actual PIN can be programmed by the owner relatively easily.

Programming this newer version of the keypad to work with newer Fords requires programming the unit’s unique information into the car‘s computer system… So for 99% of people, this means a trip to the dealer.

OP
OP
Bradley Thornton

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried this and it didn't disable just FYI

Granger did it for me but in the parking lot. You Can do it yourself not sure how. I know the guy said he googled it while I was doing my paperwork. That and Fordpass was done before I would buy.
Sponsored