Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 4th gen Mustang (maybe other gens too? I've only messed with a 95) used front struts with a separate spring. They have a single A-arm attached to the K member, with an inboard mounted spring, the wheel hub attached to the ball joint, and strut mounted to the wheel hub and strut tower perch.

Photo pulled from American Muscle customer Gary S.:
1586404683527.png
Nice example, thanks!
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which is 2WD .........….I think the 4wd was a coilover. you wouldn't have the room to put the spring and the CV shaft also. Maybe I'm wrong, that was a long time ago to me.
My 2014 Infiniti Q60x (AWD) has front struts.....

2020-04-09 07_08_30-Start.png

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 4th gen Mustang (maybe other gens too? I've only messed with a 95) used front struts with a separate spring. They have a single A-arm attached to the K member, with an inboard mounted spring, the wheel hub attached to the ball joint, and strut mounted to the wheel hub and strut tower perch.

Photo pulled from American Muscle customer Gary S.:
Ford Bronco Let's overanalyze the mule undercarriage 2020-04-09 07_08_30-Start

They make a cheap coilover conversion, A threaded sleeve that goes over the strut body for the lower spring mount.

https://uprproducts.com/79-04-mustang-pro-series-front-coil-over-kit-with-springs-silver/

mattpa

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
They make a cheap coilover conversion, A threaded sleeve that goes over the strut body for the lower spring mount.

https://uprproducts.com/79-04-mustang-pro-series-front-coil-over-kit-with-springs-silver/
I thought about getting those for a while back when I had my Mustang, but I noticed a broken spring while doing brakes one weekend when I was home from college. So instead I got lowering springs off the shelf at the local speed shop to get back to school on lol.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aluminum control arms? Not thrilled by this. Also that square tube and its mounting point looks to be for the offset crash protection will have to be cut off to put larger tires from the looks of it.

They square tube looks like it adjusts by sliding within the other square or maybe just Unbolts and comes off

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My 2014 Infiniti Q60x (AWD) has front struts.....

Well by looking at that and not being an Infiniti expert, by the looks of the horseshoe bracket that would go to the lower control arm I would say it would be a coilover. do you have a full pic of the suspension ?????? does it have an upper a arm ????? or maybe some kind of suspension link ?????

guess I can find out ……...……… brb

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

...…...……………… lets see if this works, oh before I forget don't anybody yell at me I'm going to hijack the thread and talk about an Infiniti. :LOL:

https://www.ebay.com/i/312989264541...MIhNuAoPDc6AIVgwiICR0fRAbGEAQYBiABEgK46vD_BwE

If this link doesn't work I found a pic of the suspension and guess what ??????

looks like it has an upper link in the front suspension (it is lower left in pic), the rear (just above the front in pic), however, appears to me to have a strut setup ??? On the front you see the long arm of the knuckle going upward is connected to the upper a-arm. The horseshoe bracket goes to the lower a arm. Bronco will have same setup just not the horseshoe bracket, the coilover will bolt to arm directly. To be honest with you just looking at this now I would have that bracket bent within 6 months of abuse off road, mounting coilover directly to a arm is much stronger. Which in turns makes the larger point of what the Bronco is an off road suv not a nice cushy ride suv. :)

NOW WE SEE WHY I SAY SFA...……… 'gimme 'sum chairs !!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: But seriously it makes my point about IFS vs SFA …… aaahhhh ……… never mind that's another thread.

Some one will correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like coilover front and strut rear. Sorry to take forever I'm slow at the computer thing. :)

edit : cool it worked.

Last edited:

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
...…...……………… lets see if this works, oh before I forget don't anybody yell at me I'm going to hijack the thread and talk about an Infiniti. :LOL:

https://www.ebay.com/i/312989264541...MIhNuAoPDc6AIVgwiICR0fRAbGEAQYBiABEgK46vD_BwE

If this link doesn't work I found a pic of the suspension and guess what ??????

looks like it has an upper link in the front suspension (it is lower left in pic), the rear (just above the front in pic), however, appears to me to have a strut setup ??? On the front you see the long arm of the knuckle going upward is connected to the upper a-arm. The horseshoe bracket goes to the lower a arm. Bronco will have same setup just not the horseshoe bracket, the coilover will bolt to arm directly. To be honest with you just looking at this now I would have that bracket bent within 6 months of abuse off road, mounting coilover directly to a arm is much stronger. Which in turns makes the larger point of what the Bronco is an off road suv not a nice cushy ride suv. :)

NOW WE SEE WHY I SAY SFA...……… 'gimme 'sum chairs !!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: But seriously it makes my point about IFS vs SFA …… aaahhhh ……… never mind that's another thread.

Some one will correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like coilover front and strut rear. Sorry to take forever I'm slow at the computer thing. :)

edit : cool it worked.
If the one with the horseshoe is the front, then yes. That would be really weird though, so I assume that the strut is actually the front and the weird horseshoe coilovers are the rear. Strut front and coilover rear is a much more common layout.

Also agreed that the horseshoe bracket is a pretty bad design as far as taking heavy impacts, bolting directly to the arm is much better. I don't think anyone is expecting a QX60 to bounce over rocks though.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Strut is for a Q60X (see attached ptoto of my Q60X) not the QX60 (SUV). And on the car, this is the front Strut. The horseshoe basically just bolts to the bottom of the Strut allowing the CV Axle to pass through.

The rear is a Shock with a separate Spring.

Ford Bronco Let's overanalyze the mule undercarriage 20191019_094347

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The Strut is for a Q60X (see attached ptoto of my Q60X) not the QX60 (SUV). And on the car, this is the front Strut. The horseshoe basically just bolts to the bottom of the Strut allowing the CV Axle to pass through.

20191019_094347.jpg
I'm just gonna briefly go off topic here to say that it's absolutely criminal that they never made the Q50 Eau Rouge.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just gonna briefly go off topic here to say that it's absolutely criminal that they never made the Q50 Eau Rouge.
100% agree with you about the Eau Rouge. Loved my FX35, wish I would have been able to get the FX50 at the time. Loved those things.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

20191019_094347.jpg
Sorry for the confusion with all the talk around here lately about going off topic I wasn't expecting a picture of a car part in an SUV forum. Yes I know I am guilty of it at times but only to make a point. So that explains the spindly nature of the horseshoe, it is a packaging concern because it's a car not an SUV........here again I go back to not being an Infiniti guy. So then does the horseshoe then bolt the control arm ?? or to the knuckle ???? you say the axle passes through it so that would tell me it bolts to the lower control arm which would then make it a coilover. because this is what determines if it is a strut or a coilover. the point I am trying to get to is I don't care how it is listed in a parts catalog. An F-150 is listed as a strut. The truck is equipped with a lower a-arm and an upper a-arm and the coilover is mounted to the a-arm it is not a strut even though it is listed in the parts listing as a strut. Look, don't take me the wrong way I am just trying to clear up the muddy waters of what people call certain parts because there is a difference. You can call it a strut but that is not what it is as far as the suspension goes. I was always taught strut is part of the suspension a coilover is not.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That kind of stuff don't bother me frinesi2, but you better be careful some around here take quite offense to it !! :ROFLMAO:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

100% agree with you about the Eau Rouge. Loved my FX35, wish I would have been able to get the FX50 at the time. Loved those things.

Is that Eau Rouge like at Spa Eau Rouge ???

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The setup on a Q60X (car) is a Strut that has a lower bracket mounted to it. This assembly mounts between the upper fender and the lower control arm.

So the "assembly" of the Strut & Lower Bracket "could" be then called a Coil Over.

You can see how it's mounted in this video starting around 2:20 -
Sponsored

Last edited: