Sponsored

Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups!

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mojave desert trip - last week

0D5C6CEE-C00C-43E2-8507-BD55B8354984.jpeg

99AE21A3-3E09-4515-950A-0D4EDB7B2D30.jpeg

996748BD-DCF5-4AAD-B480-3305E8BDBD9F.jpeg

CB1EFC16-84B7-4D08-A9CD-B05CEED83F1D.jpeg
Completely jealous, as a Soft top owner, of your RTT setup. Beautiful.

Question:
How do you like your Ignik fire box?
Sponsored

Blzbronco007

Outer Banks
First Name
Blaze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Completely jealous, as a Soft top owner, of your RTT setup. Beautiful.

Question:
How do you like your Ignik fire box?
Thanks! I envy you soft top owners during spring and summer for sure.

You have a good eye my friend. The Ignik box is compact and clean but doesn't give much heat if you're trying to keep more than 3 people warm. You really need to stand close to it to feel it. Serves its purpose for me and my kids but def need something more significant for a larger group.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! I envy you soft top owners during spring and summer for sure.

You have a good eye my friend. The Ignik box is compact and clean but doesn't give much heat if you're trying to keep more than 3 people warm. You really need to stand close to it to feel it. Serves its purpose for me and my kids but def need something more significant for a larger group.
Thank you sir.
This answers a lot of questions/suspicions I had about it.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What features should a RTT newbie look for? Seems to me like a hard shell would be desirable, and I'd want enough room in it while closed up for a thick mattress.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sweet setup!!! I've been looking for a RTT solution for my 2dr bronco and this looks like a great solution. How do you like the Foothills tent? Is it easy to setup/takedown? It seems a little on the smaller side, do you think 2 adults would be able to sleep in it comfortably? I do a lot of backpacking and so I am used to smaller tents.
It'd be tight for 2 adults I think. Setup is definitely more involved than a hard shell. If cozy is your thing, you'd be fine.
1 thing that I'll be changing (and I'll do a vid on it) is swapping the cover around. Right now, the cover comes unzipped from the front outside corner, all along the roof side and across the back, which is stupid and a PITA, especially when you have a basket up there beside it.
It can be swapped around so the zipper access is all along the outside and the cover flips over and rolled up on the roof.
You can kinda get an idea on setup on my last vid...

Sponsored

Krambo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, factory crossbars.
Did the tent come with the mounting hardware or did you have to get it additionally. I noticed they offer a few different mounting hardware sets. Which mounting hardware did you get? I am finally about to pull the trigger on the PMT setup.

Blzbronco007

Outer Banks
First Name
Blaze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did the tent come with the mounting hardware or did you have to get it additionally. I noticed they offer a few different mounting hardware sets. Which mounting hardware did you get? I am finally about to pull the trigger on the PMT setup.
I drove down Poway, CA which is where badass tents is located and they did the install for free...think it was Universal Tent Mounting Clamping Brackets & Hardware which I paid like $70 for.

Jordan12

Everglades
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
I also have the trailrax setup, running the IKamper Mini on ours and the rack fuckin rocks. no noises issues etc yet!

DSC01864.jpg

DJI_0103.jpg

DSC01790.jpg
Got an everglades and looking to get a trailrax, just debating on which tent. It's currently only me and my small dog and maybe a friend but I would still like plenty of space. The mini looks so small on there, but pictures of wedges that I've seen seem to take up the whole rack.

badlandskitty

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My GFC SuperLite FINALLY on the Bronco!

1655495976218.png

1655495995052.png
I also have the same tent with the factory roof rack. I was wondering if you moved the middle crossbar to the front or kept the middle crossbar in the middle.

Thanks

IMG_4840.jpg

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also have the same tent with the factory roof rack. I was wondering if you moved the middle crossbar to the front or kept the middle crossbar in the middle.

Thanks

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! IMG_4840
I moved it up to the front position, makes it easier to mount by taking off the front roof panels and better distributes the load for the tent.

I'm running a TrailRax TRMR rack now though.

Sponsored

badlandskitty

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I moved it up to the front position, makes it easier to mount by taking off the front roof panels and better distributes the load for the tent.

I'm running a TrailRax TRMR rack now though.
Awesome thank you!

Good to know, getting those bolts in there does not look fun.

CriticalB

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having a soft top hasn’t slowed me down. Did one trip using Exposed Racks crossbars, but finally finished the trailer I was building while I waited for my order and plan to use it until I get my hands on a hard top.

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! 69E08BF3-0ABD-4BC1-B6C5-0E09F3D4B6D0

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! 221F0C6B-01FA-416D-9FF1-55895CC6C163

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My setup once I get Bronco and put all this stuff in my garage on it:

Gobi Rack
Freespirit Evolution 2 RTT
ARB Summit Bumper/Superwinch
JCR Crusader Rear Bumper
RCI Skids/Sliders
Vision X lights
JCR internal MOLE, Fridge Slideout

Still researching proper suspension for Overlanding w/ Weight

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! 1680798117274

BkCntryCrwlr

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My son provided a very humbling experience last summer and said "Dad, I'll buy your plane ticket to Iceland for your birthday if you'll go to Iceland with me". How can you refuse an offer like that, it cost him $1100 and cost me $5000! I'm obviously not as smart as I thought I was. :ROFLMAO:. BTW - if you're interested in Iceland (awesome place and can't wait to go back), here's some great pictures my son has posted: https://www.instagram.com/elifox_/

We spent a couple weeks in Iceland last summer and had the chance to test drive a roof top tent setup. Key takeaways were waterproofing and interior space. Granted this was a small Subaru Outback type of car and not the highest quality RTT but provided a good learning experience for RTT's and would they work well for my needs. Here's what we rented in Iceland;

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! Iceland RTT

I had looked at the Eezi-Awn Stealth and was very impressed with the build quality and components used, they have a very heavy weight fabric that is completely waterproof. I also had the chance to go to iKamper's location in the Seattle area and check out their newest RTT, I was disappointed in the quality of the tent fabric so kept looking and found the Intrepid Camp Gear site. Intrepid Camp Gear had a killer Black Friday deal on their new Geo 2.5 tent so I took a leap of faith and jumped in with both feet sight unseen.

The RTT was supposed to show up the end of December but it was the end of March when it was delivered. Then it sat in my garage for over a week while work and other projects took priority. I finally got some time last night to unbox and mount the RTT. First impressions are that it is packaged pretty well. Intrepid does use a lot of styrofoam inside to protect the tent, personally I wish it was something else since styrofoam never goes away, lasts forever. All of the mounting hardware, ladder, etc. come wrapped in plastic inside the ladder wrapping then shipped inside the tent.

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! Intrepid RTT Packagin

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT Box

One of my big concerns when ordering it sight unseen was the quality of the tent material and how waterproof it would be. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a fairly heavy material and should hold up well in a mountain downpour. The material is not as heavy as what Eezi-Awn uses but should hold up well. The rest of the tent shell and hardware seem to be good quality.

A couple of drawbacks are the condensation mat, it is maybe 3/16" thick, most of the other mats I have seen have been thicker. I'm not sure if this is an issue yet since I'm not an "moisture engineer". The other thing is the mattress is very hard, I'll probably by a 3" memory foam mattress and cut it to fit the RTT to put on top of the existing one.

When mounting this, one thing to keep in mind is the rack you are mounting this to. I have an RCI rack and the clearance to reach under the rails to screw the nuts onto the mounting bolts is a bit of a challenge. If you have an 8 year old handy with skinny arms and wrists your in luck! ;) The overall mounting is very straight forward. I would measure the supplied T-bolts and cut them shorter if they are on the long side for your rack cross bars. I could/should have done this prior to mounting and could have cut an inch or more off. Also, you may not be able to remove the driver and passenger roof panels if the bolts are too long. Not sure why you would want to since your looking up at the bottom of the tent though.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed and can't wait to go give it run through the paces and enjoy a weekend away from the "civilized grind"! I also picked up a Tuff Stuff Overland 270 degree awning a week or so ago when they had a sale so now I'll be figuring out how to mount that so it clears all the external hardware. That't the next project. Here's a few pic's of the RTT setup:

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT-1

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT-2
Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT-3

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT Closed1

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT Closed2

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT Closed3

Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT Closed4

When closed with stock WildTrak tires, the overall heigth is 7' 3". When I get out into the wild, I'll get some better pic's along with the awning and Trailgator setup. I hope this helps some of you in deciding what to do with RTT's.

Last edited:

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
got my trailrax rack installed and my smittybilt tent and evergear 270 awning installed,will be heading out end of month for holidays to test this out.
Ford Bronco Let's see your roof-top Tents and camping setups! RTT Closed4
How did you manage to get the awning so low with the trailrax. Which mount did you use?
Sponsored