Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am pretty sure the 2.3 and the 2.7 uses the same brakes
I think so too. The only difference is that the 2.7 has electronic assist & the 2.3 has vacuum assist.
Sponsored

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2.3 uses a vacuum booster. 2.7 uses electric. I have both systems on my vehicles. There is a difference. The electric is touchy. I prefer the vacuum.

760 bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I spend some time over on the ranger 5g forum and there are countless threads on the soft, squishy brakes. Being as the Bronco is on the same platform I’m sure they are using the same, if not very similar brakes. If I remember correctly, I believe those guys were fixing it with forscan, and some were even bleeding their brakes.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We have nearly 20K miles on our Ranger ('19, SuperCab, 6' bed, Lariat, tow package) and the brakes have been unflappable. Our max load has been over 1,500 in the bed/cab plus a maxed out trailer (nearing 7,500 lbs).

Environment: Typical western PNW. Full rain, constant elevation change, bumper to bumper traffic and a 9,000' tall mountain pass with snow.

Didn't matter, brakes were fine and never had fade or issues.

If you have something abnormal in your brake performance then the lowest hanging fruit is to do a ride-along with a dealership tech and see what they say, likely there's a bit of air in the lines or the fluid needs replacing. There *should* be enough brakes on Ranger and Bronco to stand you up in your seat, a bonus for Bronco is the soft suspension so you will get a lot of G-forces shoving you forward, but you can lock up the tires just fine.

I was mildly uncertain about the brakes when I got mine, as a stock ranger seemed to have very squishy brakes by default.

After 5k miles, I have to walk that back, I think they just needed a bit more time to bed in fully. They're good enough in traffic that I don't find myself worrying as much as originally, and on the trail they're fantastic.

I do know for certain that Goodridge is working on a stainless steel kit for the bronco, they just need time and a test vehicle. Swapping those out with good fluid and maybe some grabbier pads from hawk would likely fix OP's complaints for just a couple hundred bucks

Doetsch Off-Road

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doetschoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 4dr, 2021 Wildtrak, 2021 Rubicon 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I remember correctly, @Doetsch Off-Road had a prototype pair on one of their builds and posted about it here.

We havent seen too many concerning issues on Bronco brakes, even on 35s and 37s. Are they great, no. Are they fairly normal for adding significant rotating mass, yes. The Bronco is not a lightweight, and as we add more aftermarket components and bigger wheels/tires we are adding to both the heft of the vehicle as well as that rotational mass. Exploring better pads is not a bad idea for anyone modifying. If its in the cards for you to shell out for a big brake kit...do it. We regularly do Baer and Alcon brake upgrades here at the shop on Jeeps, and yes we did the first r&d kit for Alcon on a bronco as well. That particular bronco gets beat on relentlessly and the brakes never show anything but perfection.

Ford Bronco Lets talk about the 2.3 brakes, again thumbnail_IMG-2720

Sponsored

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We havent seen too many concerning issues on Bronco brakes, even on 35s and 37s. Are they great, no. Are they fairly normal for adding significant rotating mass, yes. The Bronco is not a lightweight, and as we add more aftermarket components and bigger wheels/tires we are adding to both the heft of the vehicle as well as that rotational mass. Exploring better pads is not a bad idea for anyone modifying. If its in the cards for you to shell out for a big brake kit...do it. We regularly do Baer and Alcon brake upgrades here at the shop on Jeeps, and yes we did the first r&d kit for Alcon on a bronco as well. That particular bronco gets beat on relentlessly and the brakes never show anything but perfection.

Ford Bronco Lets talk about the 2.3 brakes, again thumbnail_IMG-2720
serious brake envy!

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 4 dr 2.3 Sasquatch with zero braking issues. Sounds like your bronco needs to go back to the dealer’s shop.
Sounds like a skinny pedal problem. lol

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe somebody posted on this issue and a fix. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it. If I recall it's a "Known" random issue with the ranger too.

BigBend1

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, 2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok, so I've only had mine for 48 hours, but holy wow those are crap. I immidiately starting hanging way back in traffic, far more than I usually would (ok, maybe I follow to close normally) but even then, a suddent stop in front of me and I'm just hoping I can stop.

Does anyone have thoughts on upgrades? These have been on the Ranger for a while, are there options we can use from there? This is a great vehicle otherwise, but those brakes are scary!
Brakes are the same on all Broncos models both the 2.3 and the 2.7, no difference between them, both SAS and non SAS as well.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3 uses a vacuum booster. 2.7 uses electric. I have both systems on my vehicles. There is a difference. The electric is touchy. I prefer the vacuum.
Hmm, I don’t notice a thing, my brakes are great in my 2Dr 2.7 Badsquatch!

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Motor Trend tested the 2door Bronco 60-0 stopping distance at 132 ft
2 door Jeep has been tested around 125 ft
Ford Explorer stops in 127ft.
My Ford Focus St stops in 108ft.

Obviously, it will take longer to stop the Bronco than most other cars you likely have driven. It takes a while to stop with a suspension built for offroad and generally larger tires.
Just increase your distances behind people, let someone get in front of you and just enjoy your vehicle.

Think of it this way, if we maintain a 2-second interval with the car in front of us, we are assuming at a minimum that we can stop as fast as them. But we know we may not be able to. So maybe a 2.5 or 3 second rule should apply in the bronco?

D-R0CK

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've had my 2.3L BD non-squatch for a little over a week and just went over 1000 miles today. The brakes do feel a little more squishy than my previous vehicle, but had my first real hard brake today at 60 mph highway speed, and other than some nose dive she stopped when she needed to. That said, knowing it's a heavy vehicle I've definitely changed my driving habits to account for that, and to not burn through gas so quick.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Absolutely fantastic on our base. No complaints whatsoever. Since yours is so new to you, two things;

1. It’s a new vehicle type, design, and function so there needs to be a period of adaptation to understand how they feel and work,

2. It’s a new vehicle, give the brakes plenty of time to bed them in. I’m not going to get into the how as that is like starting a what type oil post but, you need to bed them I’m so that you may realize their available power and not glaze them or set them up for premature wear or rotor warp.
Sponsored