Sponsored

Low CG, max articulation, and biggest tire size without interference?

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just some food for thought for yall. I have been doing some searching around, and I am thinking the following combo with some flare deletes will be the secret to clearing a 37 without a bump stop spacer and still being able to turn.

DV8 Inner Liners: https://dv8offroad.com/products/6th-gen-bronco-inner-fenders-front

JKS Max Tire Clearance Kit: https://jksmfg.com/products/ford-bronco-max-tire-clearance-kit

There is some redundancy with the liner relocation brackets and the liners, so that portion of the JKS kit will go in the trash, but in theory, the only limitation left will be the fender itself. Tires and bead lock rings should be in tomorrow for me to test.
So not sure if the cause is the icon coilovers or not but I was rubbing 37s on the DV8 liners at max articulation and that was with a 3/4” body lift.
Sponsored

ScumbagTakumi

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So not sure if the cause is the icon coilovers or not but I was rubbing 37s on the DV8 liners at max articulation and that was with a 3/4” body lift.
The Icon coilovers have the shortest compressed length out there, which might be part of it. People have seen some contact marks at full bump with 35s, so I think you really need the travel limiters they recommend. I think the big reason why they are able to advertise such higher travel numbers than everybody else comes from them allowing for as much upward travel as they do.

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Y
The Icon coilovers have the shortest compressed length out there, which might be part of it. People have seen some contact marks at full bump with 35s, so I think you really need the travel limiters they recommend. I think the big reason why they are able to advertise such higher travel numbers than everybody else comes from them allowing for as much upward travel as they do.
That makes sense and yeah I was trying to use the body lift instead of limiting travel with the spacer. The changes I did on the rear axle bolt hole though made rubbing a non issue and the front I’ll probably have to do some bending on the fender liners to stop the rubbing.

ScumbagTakumi

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Y

That makes sense and yeah I was trying to use the body lift instead of limiting travel with the spacer. The changes I did on the rear axle bolt hole though made rubbing a non issue and the front I’ll probably have to do some bending on the fender liners to stop the rubbing.
Ya, I think that will be my plan as well when we get there in testing at work. One of the big reasons why I liked the DV8 liners was they are metal so a little hammer, grinder, and welder time, could net me the clearance I need if it comes to it. I am really going to be doing my damndest to make the icons work on a 37 without limiting travel as well, though. 11.5" of travel front and 14" rear is pretty wild from a bolt on set up.

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really like this thread.

I am starting to notice that my base 4dr wildtrack, with the sway bar deleted, beadlocks rings, and some armor is doing a lot more or equal to some rigs with 37s. I am getting 19 inches of up travel on the front wheel before tires slip, and I am starting to think my rear is my limiter. I don't even have hardly any body roll with the IFS, so I am wondering about rear arms and shocks now.

My only concern with aftermarket shocks is they love bare metal, Ironman doesn't have a bronco shock yet, are there any others that are quality and not prone to rust? (I live in a snow area.)

Thanks for all this awesome info!

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am wondering about rear arms and shocks now.
I'm surprised there's nothing for the rear yet, no long arm kits or huge desert truck trailing arms...it's the easiest place to get more wheel travel and everyone is familiar with a 4 link at this point. Only thing anyone has wanted to make so far is identically sized a-arms with different joints on the ends.

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As I suspected, the longest travel suspension I can find without building them, is the badlands Bilsteins without sasquatch. (10+ inches). King and fox are less then base! Bilstein 6100 are 8.45". Badlands is supposedly 10 inches?

I am planning doing a 1 inch body lift already, combined with the front sway bar deleted and 35s will give quite a bit of bendyness.

Anyone see issues? The body lift gaps are covered by my aftermarket bumpers, I just shift them up. I have been driving swaybarless for a couple months, no issues.

EDIT:
Looks like based on this thread:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...numbers-standard-special-and-high-ride.17622/

I would want to order just the strut as the rest of the components are identical on the wildtrak:
2x https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/s...r-assembly-14762023-1?pdp=y#/collapseRelated4
2x https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/ride-control/shock-absorber-assembly-14757139-1?pdp=y

One more edit!
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/cut-sasquatch-bump-stops-for-2”-additional-wheel-travel-and-shock-length-pics.38339/
Ok so this is the major difference between the models, the bump stop is a full inch longer front and back? So now I'm debating just shaving these back a bit, even if I get a longer travel Badlands tube, the bump stops are the same on both. (And from what I can tell they are limiting travel quite a bit.)

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As I suspected, the longest travel suspension I can find without building them, is the badlands Bilsteins without sasquatch. (10+ inches). King and fox are less then base! Bilstein 6100 are 8.45". Badlands is supposedly 10 inches?

I am planning doing a 1 inch body lift already, combined with the front sway bar deleted and 35s will give quite a bit of bendyness.

Anyone see issues? The body lift gaps are covered by my aftermarket bumpers, I just shift them up. I have been driving swaybarless for a couple months, no issues.

EDIT:
Looks like based on this thread:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...numbers-standard-special-and-high-ride.17622/

I would want to order just the strut as the rest of the components are identical on the wildtrak:
2x https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/s...r-assembly-14762023-1?pdp=y#/collapseRelated4
2x https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/ride-control/shock-absorber-assembly-14757139-1?pdp=y

One more edit!
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/cut-sasquatch-bump-stops-for-2”-additional-wheel-travel-and-shock-length-pics.38339/
Ok so this is the major difference between the models, the bump stop is a full inch longer front and back? So now I'm debating just shaving these back a bit, even if I get a longer travel Badlands tube, the bump stops are the same on both. (And from what I can tell they are limiting travel quite a bit.)
Shhhh, Badlands non-sasquatch suspension isn't for everyone... LOL.

Everybody, get the Sasquatch package... everything else sucks. ;)

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well...I did find this:
https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/prorunner/bronco-prorunner/

16.5" wheel travel F/R, but it's a whole package thing with a lot of stuff I don't want. No doubt it'll probably cost as much as the Bronco itself when it finally becomes available, and my luck it'll be 4dr only.
If only I could win the power ball... 😔

😆 That looks sick!

You don't have to put the top on, or the flares, and still have the bad ass suspension/axle bits...😎

Sponsored

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lol that smells like a Hennessy gimmick.

I am starting to build some body lift spacers, non sas suspension, found a seller, and I am going to use the extra set and some ramps to do some testing.

If you haven't seen this guy, INSANELY good series on IFS.

I am super new to some of this, but it is fascinating with ifs how the lift kits actually remove articulation in the entire system. Like an inch is ok, but more then that the system is losing droop, which reduces overall flex. Also I suspect as others have stated that the Bronco is severely limited in it's suspension travel by the top bump stops and giant lifts people are doing. Super excited to see what I can pull off with an inch more travel and some playing with bump stops and lift.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You don't have to put the top on, or the flares, and still have the bad ass suspension/axle bits...😎
I dunno man, it sure does sound like one of those "package deals" where something like a simple Jeep LS swap turns into a $59,999 base price where you also have to buy their hand carved tires filled with tritium gas. Maybe not that dramatic but you get the point. Guess we'll see when/if they ever start making them 🤷‍♂️

It definitely smells gimmicky, but from the scant few images they have of the suspension components, I have no doubt that setup should net the wheel travel they're advertising. My taco is somewhere around 18-20" front travel using stock mounting points and relocated shock towers with +3 arms. Technically speaking this would be classified as a legitimate long travel suspension (even though 16.5" is on the low end of a LT setup), as they're relocating the shock towers as well as lengthening the a-arms. The axles and whatnot are also legit, and I've no reason to think the one-piece hardtop and quadzilla inspired fender flares are too...I just don't want them lol

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I dunno man, it sure does sound like one of those "package deals" where something like a simple Jeep LS swap turns into a $59,999 base price where you also have to buy their hand carved tires filled with tritium gas. Maybe not that dramatic but you get the point. Guess we'll see when/if they ever start making them 🤷‍♂️

It definitely smells gimmicky, but from the scant few images they have of the suspension components, I have no doubt that setup should net the wheel travel they're advertising. My taco is somewhere around 18-20" front travel using stock mounting points and relocated shock towers with +3 arms. Technically speaking this would be classified as a legitimate long travel suspension (even though 16.5" is on the low end of a LT setup), as they're relocating the shock towers as well as lengthening the a-arms. The axles and whatnot are also legit, and I've no reason to think the one-piece hardtop and quadzilla inspired fender flares are too...I just don't want them lol
I am lining up some test this winter with both Bilstein suspensions. I think other brands, from what I can see, are using waaaay smaller bump stops to claim the "improved" travel. (For Bronco). It reminds me of the taco mid travel thing I watched where the longest travel shock in that category was a stock 5100 Bilstein that wasn't even labelled extended travel.

As I am learning, I am extremely suspect of the icon, king, and fox claims when the control arms and shocks towers are bone stock. Do they have nice tunability? For sure, but I don't think the price tag matches the value. Not unless someone comes up with a new knuckle or lower arm. Like this https://www.drivingline.com/articles/long-travel-ford-bronco-the-ultimate-fun-haver/. )

My hope is the non-sas plus bump stops reduction and/or some other binding joint nets some good cheap results for people.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am lining up some test this winter with both Bilstein suspensions. I think other brands, from what I can see, are using waaaay smaller bump stops to claim the "improved" travel. (For Bronco). It reminds me of the taco mid travel thing I watched where the longest travel shock in that category was a stock 5100 Bilstein that wasn't even labelled extended travel.

As I am learning, I am extremely suspect of the icon, king, and fox claims when the control arms and shocks towers are bone stock. Do they have nice tunability? For sure, but I don't think the price tag matches the value. Not unless someone comes up with a new knuckle or lower arm. Like this https://www.drivingline.com/articles/long-travel-ford-bronco-the-ultimate-fun-haver/. )

My hope is the non-sas plus bump stops reduction and/or some other binding joint nets some good cheap results for people.
Oh, I think I remember that, it's what swayed me to go straight up long travel and skip all that mid/extended travel business. It's primarily why I haven't jumped on any sort of suspension upgrades for the Bronco so far, I'm just not seeing anything that would realistically provide much of any difference from a stock setup that's been optimized. Aside from the presently-vaporware Fun Haver and APG stuff, I think the bajakits would net the most wheel travel currently, probably tied with the OEM Raptor stuff. But that's for no other reason than longer a-arms net more potential travel, and I'm not about to widen my Bronco unless I'm getting 15"+ of wheel travel to go with it. I'd much rather see the a-arm mounting points moved inward to get that extra a-arm length though. For the time being I'll probably do the same as you, fiddle and tweak existing components to squeeze out every last inch of travel.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I am starting to build some body lift spacers, non sas suspension, found a seller, and I am going to use the extra set and some ramps to do some testing.

If you haven't seen this guy, INSANELY good series on IFS.

I am super new to some of this, but it is fascinating with ifs how the lift kits actually remove articulation in the entire system. Like an inch is ok, but more then that the system is losing droop, which reduces overall flex. Also I suspect as others have stated that the Bronco is severely limited in it's suspension travel by the top bump stops and giant lifts people are doing. Super excited to see what I can pull off with an inch more travel and some playing with bump stops and lift.
That is quite an eye opener. Thanks for posting that video. I love reading about suspension geometry, modifications, and the effects on the suspension. I came across a very in depth article here about perch collars vs top hat spacers, and while I understand what both do, I went with a mild spacer lift. Will it reduce overall articulation and travel? Guess i'll find out.
Sponsored