Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I have a complicated story....

Made my Bronco Wildtrak reservation 7/14/20.

Like most of us, I got frustrated with the delays. So I emailed/called to cancel. (never received cancelation confirmation). I continued to get updates on my bronco build and i was nervous I would have to pay for the car if the order wasn't cancelled.

Bronco Order confirmed 3/17/21.

I never received my deposit back nor did I receive a confirmation email saying my order was cancelled.

November 2021 - Out for a walk with my gf, I see the bronco. Decide I want it again lol. Call my dealership, see if they can "uncancel" my order. My dealer says "No problem, we never cancelled it. We were just going to let it arrive and sell it ourselves because your order would make sure we would get a Bronco allocated to our dealer. It's a hard car for a dealer to get and sit on the lot. Bronco is yours if you want it, you'll pay MSRP"

I've been in contact w my sales guy, even went for a test drive. Whole time "yes, you'll pay MSRP".

Now the car is supposed to come 3/22-28/2022. I contact my sales guy, he says he received my paperwork for the car already so he expects it to come within 2-3 weeks (FOR REAL THIS TIME).

However, when I asked "Just to confirm, I am paying MSRP right"....I received a phone call.

Salesman: oh you will have to pay a couple grand more?
Me: How much is a couple grand more? And I was told before MSRP?
Salesman: just a couple grand. We put the protective coating on all of our vehicles inside and out so you have to pay for that.
Me: So, what are we talking, 2-3 grand more? I want to make sure I dont show up all excited on my vehicle day and I'm not surprised with a 10k markup
Salesman: Yes, something like that. You have to understand, my GM is breathing down my neck with your order because he saw your emails about your request to cancel the order.
Me: Yes, but my order was never cancelled, you retained my deposit, I've received emails and have been in contact with you for 5 months now.

So he tells me this paint protection plan is 4 grand.

My total has gone from 58,015 to 62,015 plus another $970 option/fee?

I called Ford corporate and a month ago they said "no you pay MSRP, dealers cant markup reservation orders"....I call them today "you need to talk to your dealership"

Are they allowed to do this? Anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice?
(And I know I'll receive some heat for trying to cancel my order, but during this whole process was reassured that it would play no role)
Sponsored

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That really sucks. Keep us updated. Good Luck!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much can trucoat cost?? I told him I don't want it and he's like "all of our vehicles get this"
Reference to the movie Fargo. If you haven't seen it, watch it and you will ROFL! Your dealer is LITTERALLY playing Jerry Lundergaard!

Sponsored

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Since your Bronco has not yet arrived on the dealer's lot and this is applied by the dealer once it arrives, tell the dealer you are refusing the protective coat. And, keep pushing on your salesperson to honor the dealership's commitment to you for selling at MSRP...it's not clear but perhaps sounds like you have emails from sales person confirming the MSRP. Use those to your benefit.

The issue of cancelling it via prior emails is really of no consequence since they never returned your deposit or confirmed the cancellation. In fact, it sounds like they left that order in your name, and most importantly, the sales person acknowledged you still wanted it and confirmed you could have it (at MSRP). So, don't let that deter you from pursuing it. But, you're going to still have to convince this greedy dealership to honor their sales person's commitment. If you can't get them off of squeezing some extra BS dollars under the excuse of a protective coat, perhaps still tell them don't want the coating but find some middle ground that minimizes the amount extra you pay. Perhaps, window tint for a little more than you would pay elsewhere, or (and I hate this idea) even flat out offer an extra $500.

Off topic, but I find it incredible that these dealerships were crying rivers about the lack of sales following the 2008 financial crisis and begging for customers to buy cars to keep them going. Customers brought cars that kept them from financial collapse and didn't hold the dealerships at gunpoint. And, then the dealerships did it again in the spring of 2020 when COVID struck...same thing...dealers crying about the lack of sales (and many even took federal PPP money). Again customers brought cars during that time, which kept them afloat. Now, we have a global crisis on many fronts which has created shortages, and what do the dealerships do...they take advantage of the situation to make a few extra short lived dollars from those that have helped them all these years. These are same people the dealers will be looking to in the future, when things are very different and supply outpaces demand. I think people are not going to forget those dealers that played dirty. Penny wise, pound foolish.

OP
OP
Oasis86

Oasis86

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since your Bronco has not yet arrived on the dealer's lot and this is applied by the dealer once it arrives, tell the dealer you are refusing the protective coat. And, keep pushing on your salesperson to honor the dealership's commitment to you for selling at MSRP...it's not clear but perhaps sounds like you have emails from sales person confirming the MSRP. Use those to your benefit.

The issue of cancelling it via prior emails is really of no consequence since they never returned your deposit or confirmed the cancellation. In fact, it sounds like they left that order in your name, and most importantly, the sales person acknowledged you still wanted it and confirmed you could have it (at MSRP). So, don't let that deter you from pursuing it. But, you're going to still have to convince this greedy dealership to honor their sales person's commitment. If you can't get them off of squeezing some extra BS dollars under the excuse of a protective coat, perhaps still tell them don't want the coating but find some middle ground that minimizes the amount extra you pay. Perhaps, window tint for a little more than you would pay elsewhere, or (and I hate this idea) even flat out offer an extra $500.

Off topic, but I find it incredible that these dealerships were crying rivers about the lack of sales following the 2008 financial crisis and begging for customers to buy cars to keep them going. Customers brought cars that kept them from financial collapse and didn't hold the dealerships at gunpoint. And, then the dealerships did it again in the spring of 2020 when COVID struck...same thing...dealers crying about the lack of sales (and many even took federal PPP money). Again customers brought cars during that time, which kept them afloat. Now, we have a global crisis on many fronts which has created shortages, and what do the dealerships do...they take advantage of the situation to make a few extra short lived dollars from those that have helped them all these years. These are same people the dealers will be looking to in the future, when things are very different and supply outpaces demand. I think people are not going to forget those dealers that played dirty. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Thanks for this reply. I am going to keep pushing my salesman not to do this coating.

I called another local dealership and he said "Do I agree with what they are doing? No. Are dealerships doing this? Yes. Do we do it here? No. We dont markup reservation vehicles but due to the market we markup broncos that we have that are not claimed. "

He seemed very honest and helpful....but so did my current salesman until the vehicle delivery date started to near :(

I like the idea of reallocating the $ towards window tints instead.

It's really unfortunate. My car is pretty much a first edition, minus disconnecting sway bar and modular bumper. It's taking the joy out of the experience of treating yourself to something nice.

And I agree with everything you said about the greed during hard times. We've all waited so long....they're taking advantage of the situation. Currently there arent many Broncos on the road, but once they catch up with these chips they'll be all over

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I have a complicated story....

Made my Bronco Wildtrak reservation 7/14/20.

Like most of us, I got frustrated with the delays. So I emailed/called to cancel. (never received cancelation confirmation). I continued to get updates on my bronco build and i was nervous I would have to pay for the car if the order wasn't cancelled.

Bronco Order confirmed 3/17/21.

I never received my deposit back nor did I receive a confirmation email saying my order was cancelled.

November 2021 - Out for a walk with my gf, I see the bronco. Decide I want it again lol. Call my dealership, see if they can "uncancel" my order. My dealer says "No problem, we never cancelled it. We were just going to let it arrive and sell it ourselves because your order would make sure we would get a Bronco allocated to our dealer. It's a hard car for a dealer to get and sit on the lot. Bronco is yours if you want it, you'll pay MSRP"

I've been in contact w my sales guy, even went for a test drive. Whole time "yes, you'll pay MSRP".

Now the car is supposed to come 3/22-28/2022. I contact my sales guy, he says he received my paperwork for the car already so he expects it to come within 2-3 weeks (FOR REAL THIS TIME).

However, when I asked "Just to confirm, I am paying MSRP right"....I received a phone call.

Salesman: oh you will have to pay a couple grand more?
Me: How much is a couple grand more? And I was told before MSRP?
Salesman: just a couple grand. We put the protective coating on all of our vehicles inside and out so you have to pay for that.
Me: So, what are we talking, 2-3 grand more? I want to make sure I dont show up all excited on my vehicle day and I'm not surprised with a 10k markup
Salesman: Yes, something like that. You have to understand, my GM is breathing down my neck with your order because he saw your emails about your request to cancel the order.
Me: Yes, but my order was never cancelled, you retained my deposit, I've received emails and have been in contact with you for 5 months now.

So he tells me this paint protection plan is 4 grand.

My total has gone from 58,015 to 62,015 plus another $970 option/fee?

I called Ford corporate and a month ago they said "no you pay MSRP, dealers cant markup reservation orders"....I call them today "you need to talk to your dealership"

Are they allowed to do this? Anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice?
(And I know I'll receive some heat for trying to cancel my order, but during this whole process was reassured that it would play no role)
Leaving aside the extra markup, I can't get over msrp 58k for a Bronco. šŸ˜³

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My dealer has stated something similar.

$2500 for their package that includes window tint, "protectant inside and out" (I use quotes because you can't prove that shit's real), window etching, and "nitrogen" air in the tires.

I think I could argue it off (I have before), but because it's the Bronco, I might not and just pay their fee (aka psuedo ADM).

TBD if and when mine shows up.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Oasis86

Oasis86

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

$2500 for their package that includes window tint, "protectant inside and out" (I use quotes because you can't prove that shit's real), window etching, and "nitrogen" air in the tires.

I think I could argue it off (I have before), but because it's the Bronco, I might not and just pay their fee (aka psuedo ADM).

Good luck!

Yea I'd like to get the window tint and try to talk them down to 2500 instead of 4000. Who knows, this situation for all Bronco reservation holders has been tedious and unenjoyable

Sponsored

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My dealer also said they automatically add that crap to every car they get, but since I bought it before it hit the lot, I was able to refuse it. They just want to make a few extra bucks, itā€™s not as bad as some of the crazy markups, but maybe just tell them that youā€™d rather buy an extended warranty instead and leave off the add ons. The warranty may turn out to be a lot more valuable than paint protection and nitrogen in the tires that youā€™ll just deflate often anyway. Theyā€™ll be happy that they still get to chisel you for some extra cash, and youā€™ll have the extra little insurance policy.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If they donā€™t have the vehicle yet absolutely not donā€™t put a damn thing on my car that I didnā€™t ask for! Thatā€™s way more than a quality ceramic coating.

briri

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 2 Raptor, C8 HTC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Good luck!
Dealer???? I know for a fact x 3 that a dealer close to you will accept MSRP WITH ZERO add-ons....
Sponsored