crakerjac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was watching a YouTube video and saw that the manual transmission shows what gear you are in on the dash. When I read about this a while back, I figured the ECU just did a quick RPM vs speed calculation to calculate the gear. HOWEVER, in the YT video, the dash was showing the correct gear at a standstill.

I know technical details are a bit slim at this point, but does anyone know how this is done? I assume the transmission broadcasts the gear via CAN message vs a set of wires for each gear.

Has anyone pulled theirs apart enough to know? Does anyone have a wiring diagram I can take a gander at?
Sponsored

OP
OP
crakerjac

crakerjac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tech may not be new, but what I'm trying to get at is if there is something I can tap into to get the gear position using OEM sensors.

I will likely install a remote start. I've had one in a few manual transmissions in the past. It's always been a song and dance when shutting down to ensure it's in neutral and the car will start. If there was a way to get an indicator that it's in neutral using OEM components, I may be able to set it up like an automatic transmission. And when I park my new Bronco in a pond, I'll have to get back in line and wait another 18 months for my next one....

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There "should" already be a sensor for Neutral. That's all that you'd need to tap into for the remote start....... well..... you might also want to tap into the sensor for when the Park Brake is engaged as well.

(vehicle in Neutral and Park Brake Engaged = Remote Start can be done....)

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tech may not be new, but what I'm trying to get at is if there is something I can tap into to get the gear position using OEM sensors.

I will likely install a remote start. I've had one in a few manual transmissions in the past. It's always been a song and dance when shutting down to ensure it's in neutral and the car will start. If there was a way to get an indicator that it's in neutral using OEM components, I may be able to set it up like an automatic transmission. And when I park my new Bronco in a pond, I'll have to get back in line and wait another 18 months for my next one....
I'm considering MT remote start as well. A neutral sensor would be a good additional safety for an open-top MT with remote (in case a raccoon climbs in and shifts the gear overnight 😂)

As far as the "song and dance", the newer systems don't seem so bad to me:

Depress brake, engage E brake, shift to N, release brake, and exit/lock vehicle... engine will shut off after few seconds. If engine is still running after locking, computer knows it is in N and will remote start unless doors have been opened since then.

Is the what you remember?

Edit: Most systems recommend not installing these in open-top vehicles, probably due to the racoons/kids that might climb in. I'm not worried as I would only need it in weather when the hard top is already on. But, if a Pro is needed for installation and they are particular, they might refuse. BUT a neutral sensor would eliminate that fear. 🤔

OP
OP
crakerjac

crakerjac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depress brake, engage E brake, shift to N, release brake, and exit/lock vehicle... engine will shut off after few seconds. If engine is still running after locking, computer knows it is in N and will remote start unless doors have been opened since then.

Is the what you remember?
My last manual transmission vehicle with remote start was a Honda Element with physical key. To put the vehicle in 'reservation mode' (so I can remote start later), I would do the following:
1. Place vehicle in N
2. Yank on the e-brake
3. Get out of vehicle
4. Shut drivers door
5. Vehicle stays running for 10 seconds
6. Vehicle locks and shuts down

If I am the only one IN the vehicle, this works fine. However, if I have to fish the kids out of car seats, I either have to leave my driver's door open (makes no sense when it's -30f), or shut my door, run around the car and open the passenger door before the vehicle shuts down. After 10 years, I had a rhythm down and it was no biggie... HOWEVER, it was a vehicle with a physical key.

Take the use case where it's cold as snot, and I need to run inside and leave my vehicle running (with keys in the ignition, for others still in the car). Put vehicle in N, yank the e-brake, jump out, 10 seconds later, the car would cycle the locks, and attempt to shut down... but the key was still in the ignition, so the unit would abort and unlock the doors. Scared me EVERY time and I always had that moment of panic that... maybe this time... the vehicle wouldn't unlock..

With a PTS vehicle, every time you jump out and shut the door, the vehicle would shut down. Jump out at -30 to put gas in the car... shut the door... vehicle shuts off. Shutting down the vehicle with the wife in a cold car is a guarenteed way to start a fight.

There is another process to push the start button on the fob (after step 2) to enter reservation mode... which is intended for PTS vehicles... but if the keys are in my pocket... that only adds to the song and dance.

From what I understand, Subaru MT vehicles have a built in N sensor that remote starts can tap into. This allows MT Subaru vehicles to start just like autos. This would be ideal... just trying to figure out if/how this is possible.

OP
OP
crakerjac

crakerjac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you missed my post, there is a position sensor in the transmission on the right side.

BC3005F7-A1E9-4014-B1CA-0DBFADAB5A9C.jpeg
Thank you. I DID miss your post... but still don't see it when I scroll up. Can you PM me the document where this came from? Assuming it's not some internal top secret doc.

paperboy

Badlands
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Passport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just came across this thread. For a manual transmission, I am somewhat bothered that the "gear" you are in shows up on the dashboard. I am sure I will not like this when I eventually drive my new Bronco.

Not to hijack this thread, but I am wondering if I can ask @D2dhanover if that "gear" display can be removed through ForScan? Or maybe there are easier options for configuring the dashboard displays? Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
crakerjac

crakerjac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree... no real point of it showing on the dash... except for new drivers... but I think the tach is going to be more annoying than a gear indicator...

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree... no real point of it showing on the dash... except for new drivers... but I think the tach is going to be more annoying than a gear indicator...
I will confirm. The gear indicator is so small, unless you are actively looking at the dash while driving (I don't recommend), you won't notice it. I can't even really think of a point to have it even for new drivers. It seemed like more of a "that's cool" thing. The ASS will restart by itself without touching the clutch if conditions are met in N, such as pulling on the steering wheel, high load on the AC, or voltage. So I would think remote start is possible.

I've made my thoughts know on the tach elsewhere and it's a just a terrible design choice.
Sponsored