First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Russ.Gil I know you know this, but no one on here has anything remotely resembling the credentials necessary to speak to the qualitative or quantitative protection offered by the crash bars.

Amateur welders be up in here pretending they’re materials scientists and physicists, prescribing you some veterinary meds while they’re at it…
For sure. But I like to hear people's thoughts and opinions on something like this. It gives view points and thought processes I might not come up with myself. As well as product knowledge I'm not aware of such as the aftermarket crash bars :)
Sponsored

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Love that you people are focusing on a minor question of "do they add weight" rather than "will they keep my legs from being smashed to bits... Good attention to what the concern here is...
Yes, if you take the crash bars off, your legs will be smashed to bits!!

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just want to remove the ones in the front of the wheel as they really are a bit of an eye sore with the mod bumper on my BL. Leave the rear so wheel intrusion can still be somewhat prevented. I'm sure that will compromise safety somewhat but not fully? Not sure if I will lift and do bigger tires.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just want to remove the ones in the front of the wheel as they really are a bit of an eye sore with the mod bumper on my BL. Leave the rear so wheel intrusion can still be somewhat prevented. I'm sure that will compromise safety somewhat but not fully? Not sure if I will lift and do bigger tires.
Lotta people talked about the aftermarket bars that allow for bigger wheels. I'm personally gonna go with that. Fit bigger tires and keep the safety. Seems like a win win to me.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s probably what I’ll do to if I end up installing the fender deletes I purchased from 4WP. The mod bumper caps have to come off for them to look right, in my opinion. I haven’t gone the fender delete route yet because of the rock damage to the paint that’s apparently inevitable. But even if I end up doing that I’ll still keep the rear tubes.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yep...

I knew the Bronco wasn’t the safest vehicle out there, but it’s not an unsafe motorized coffin. I was comfortable with that decision. Thanks for the input
The Bronco, even without the crash bars, is far safer than just about any vehicle that is over 20 years old. Let me ask others who are making a big deal of this a few questions:

Do you refuse to be a passenger in classic cars?

Do you refuse to drive or ride in any vehicle just because it was built before 2000?

Would you turn down a free classic Ferrari, Porsche, Jeep, Bronco, Hemi Cuda, Corvette, and/or Camaro?

Just stop being ridiculous. While I don't hate on the crash bars, the level of safety generally in the Bronco is absolutely incredible. I don't doubt that the crash bars may help in specific situations/circumstances, but how safe do you need to be?

As someone else pointed out, the second you even change the tires/rims, you have changed the crash dynamics. What about a winch or different bumper? You aren't removing the crash bars if you are keeping the vehicle stock.

Does the extra rubber replace the effectiveness of the missing crash bars? What impact does a change in wheel offset have? Get out the modeling software.

FWIW, I would have removed the crash bars in a heartbeat, if I needed to, but 33.5" tires on a 17x9 +30 offset clear without issue. So, mine are actually still installed.
Sponsored