First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So I've seen a lot of people talk about removing crash bars to fit bigger tires and the sas supposedly doesn't even have them but I haven't seen really anyone answer or ask this question.

Is it safe?

I mean, I'd love to throw a 2in leveling kid on my BL 4d with 35s when I get it but it's a well known fact from everything I've seen that doing so will require removing the crash bars. My biggest concern with that is 1 how will it effect the ride and potential tipping hazard with those removed (no idea what each bar weighs and if it's significant enough to keep the bronco down) and 2 how effective are they as a safety device if the sasquatch doesn't even come with them? As someone who intends to use this as his daily driver and for deep woods backpacking/camping trips and the like I want to know my family will be safe if I remove those. Does anyone have any thoughts/answers?
As soon as you “lift” and replace with larger tires it’s going to change how your vehicle performs in a crash based off original design. By adding lift and larger tires your vehicle will no longer be factory and will not perform in a accident the same as the factory crash test Broncos. So, if you’re that worried about some flimsy crash bar you probably shouldn’t be lifting etc and changing the vehicle from its factory design.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I recall correctly, the value of the crash bars became clear when the crew cab F150s had them and the extended cab F150s did not. The crew cabs passed the crash tests with flying colors and the extended cabs did not. Ford added them to the extended cabs after the tests showed how much value they added.

The crash bars exist to ensure that the tires don’t end up getting pushed into the passenger compartment and crush the passenger’s feet and legs. I served on a jury with a younger guy who walked with a cane because that exact thing happened to him. I personally wouldn’t risk losing my mobility, even if it’s a low risk, but everyone is different.
Tha
OMG really ? Here you go took me about 5 seconds to google this.... If you think you are safe because of that flimsy piece of metal, well...

well clearly my Google Fu is out of wack thanks my man *thumbs up*

Edit: This is "how to remove" and wasn't at all what I was asking...

Last edited:

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After seeing this crash test video I just don’t believe a light weight bolted on hollow bar is going to do anything useful at all...

Interesting how the Bronco almost "lowered it's shoulder into the impact" while the Jeep was tossed on its ear. LOL

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...Ahh, the overprotective father! I remember those days. A grizzly bear would not have wanted to mess with me when my daughters were that age! Gotta keep those little ones safe! Now i'm like, Your boyfriend did what??
1642205602836.png
Hahaha yep :p gotta protect her long enough for her to be able to make her own mistakes then come to me so I can sharpen my double bearded axe and go medieval on some kid lol.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
and the OP is concerned about tipping over if he removes. 😁
Not really worried about "tipping over" it was more a question of do they add weight to help keep weight on wheels. I've heard some people have found like 50lbs pet rocks in their jeep installed by manufacturer or aftermarket to keep the center of gravity lower. Was more a question of "do these have a dual purpose."

Sponsored
OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4 wheel parts sells a 2" leveling kit with modified crash bars . You can also just buy the crash bars without the spacers.
536BCBC4-BF56-4125-9747-039979D61D93.jpeg
26264D4F-6D1E-40BE-8266-ADBCAD2343E9.jpeg
Good to know, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want a 2” lift with crash bars 4WheelParts has a kit that does both. The kit includes crash bars designed for more tire clearance. They also offer a big tire kit, that’s just the crash bars if you want to run a different lift. Check out eville truck on YouTube, he installs this kit on his Black Diamond. Hope this helps!
Will definitely do so thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't do it. Huge tipping hazard. Several are having issues with this. Very dangerous!

I have a friend that removed only one on one side, and it flipped in his driveway when parked.
Love that you people are focusing on a minor question of "do they add weight" rather than "will they keep my legs from being smashed to bits... Good attention to what the concern here is...

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting how the Bronco almost "lowered it's shoulder into the impact" while the Jeep was tossed on its ear. LOL
That was my take away from the video when I first saw it which prompted this forum. It's unclear whether this "thin piece of metal" everyone keeps calling it helped redirect that momentum or not imo. It having nothing to do with the bronco staying level and having everything to do with the bronco staying level seem equally as likely.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks to everyone for their input that offered genuine information I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and thoughts. Me personally I think I'll end up getting an aftermarket kit for the slopped crash bars that accommodate 35s. Doesn't seem like there's a reason to remove them to fit 35s if there's a kit to keep them (or replace them) to fit 35s. My family's safety means more to me. Which is why I never take anyone around town in my 1968 MG B because that thing is a death trap. I'm fine with risking my own personal safety but not my family.

Thanks again everyone hope you have a great weekend and to all of my fellow fans out there waiting in line with me. Some day soon this will pass and we all can have some fun tearing up the trails.

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because I asked a question regarding safety equipment? Little rude buddy.
Reminds me of my brother who told me that my F150 wasn’t a “real truck” because it wasn’t a heavy duty truck. Some people are just always going to have something negative to say.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reminds me of my brother who told me that my F150 wasn’t a “real truck” because it wasn’t a heavy duty truck. Some people are just always going to have something negative to say.
That's the internet right? Shrug. This is the only form of social media I've used in the last 3 years so I think I'm due a bit of trolling. Is what it is.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was my take away from the video when I first saw it which prompted this forum. It's unclear whether this "thin piece of metal" everyone keeps calling it helped redirect that momentum or not imo. It having nothing to do with the bronco staying level and having everything to do with the bronco staying level seem equally as likely.
As a mechanical engineer I'd say "Too many variables to tell", but I can see in this shot that the jeep wheel appears to tuck under the body possibly triggering the weight transfer that results in the eventual roll. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Much to do about Crashbars 1642217517273

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a mechanical engineer I'd say "Too many variables to tell", but I can see in this shot that the jeep wheel appears to tuck under the body possibly triggering the weight transfer that results in the eventual roll. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Much to do about Crashbars 1642217517273
Always value an engineer's input thanks man.
Sponsored