Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've just dropped a video on my YouTube channel detailing my personal journey with the rear cracked control arm brackets on my 2021 Bronco. I took on a DIY welding fix to secure everything back in place. Curious to know your thoughts on my approach and how it compares to other solutions out there. Check out the video for a full rundown of the process and let me know what you think! Looking forward to hearing your insights and learning about the different ways we're all tackling this challenge. 👇

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mitch, I'm sure your welds are 1000% better than what was done by the factory on the early Broncos!
Good video.

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
bonus points for not going through the car wash under carraige blaster first lol!

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The more pictures I'm seeing from folks with cracked mounts and aftermarket arms, the more I think that is a primary part of the root cause. Rubber bushings play an important role in the compliance of the geometry during flex. If the pivots aren't lined up perfectly, rigid joints can cause binding. It might not in all cases, but its not a gamble I want to make.

If you don't want to run OE joints, I bet the triangulation kit from RK would be a marked improvement. Ironically it will put new load into the upper control arm mounts (lateral positioning of the axle) but they will otherwise be free to flex and not fight each other or the Panhard rod if installed with ridgid links.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

fantastic Video

Sponsored

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The more pictures I'm seeing from folks with cracked mounts and aftermarket arms, the more I think that is a primary part of the root cause.
This is reason Number 1,000,000 why I won’t be “upgrading” the suspension. Nothing but trouble, wasted money, and almost always looks douchey anyway. Sasquatch for the win.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The more pictures I'm seeing from folks with cracked mounts and aftermarket arms, the more I think that is a primary part of the root cause. Rubber bushings play an important role in the compliance of the geometry during flex. If the pivots aren't lined up perfectly, rigid joints can cause binding. It might not in all cases, but its not a gamble I want to make.

If you don't want to run OE joints, I bet the triangulation kit from RK would be a marked improvement. Ironically it will put new load into the upper control arm mounts (lateral positioning of the axle) but they will otherwise be free to flex and not fight each other or the Panhard rod if installed with ridgid links.
Or, it could be owners who put in aftermarket arms are more likely to push the chassis in a punishing way. I see a lot of Bronco videos/pics of jumping and high speed off road running. If you're going to drive that way you're going to bend and break things.

If you're concerned about broken parts, don't "drive it like you stole it".
If you want to drive your Bronco that way (and really, who doesn't?), expect parts to break. Thankfully with a lot of owners sharing their experiences, the rest of us know where to look for the most common break points.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are there better welds on later models??
The 22 and later models' brackets are boxed, no one has reported cracking on those yet that Ive read.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or, it could be owners who put in aftermarket arms are more likely to push the chassis in a punishing way. I see a lot of Bronco videos/pics of jumping and high speed off road running. If you're going to drive that way you're going to bend and break things.

If you're concerned about broken parts, don't "drive it like you stole it".
If you want to drive your Bronco that way (and really, who doesn't?), expect parts to break. Thankfully with a lot of owners sharing their experiences, the rest of us know where to look for the most common break points.
Thats certainly a factor, but I know i'm not the only one who wheels pretty hard on stock control arms. It's anecdotal to point out that I havent had any issue, but I find it suspicious how many cracked mounts are attached to ridged links.

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Nice video......thanks for the detailed look at the issues. BTW....Welds look better than what I could do since I haven't touched a welding projects in many years!

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice work Mitch.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 22 and later models' brackets are boxed, no one has reported cracking on those yet that Ive read.
Are there better welds on later models??
to me it looks like a design issue - not a weld issue
cracking on the bracket corners like that is 100% not a weld issue. would have to see the parts that failed to see if there was any parent material at the welds to be sure
seems so far no one with the boxed design has had the failure, again pointing to a design issue

to the OP great video

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks